HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3256
Name:St Petrock's Church, Lydford

Summary

St Petroc’s Church in Lydford mentioned in the 13th century and with earlier church sacked by the Danes in 997. Tower and south aisle built in the 15th century and church restored in the 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 509 847
Map Sheet:SX58SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishLydford
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 615585
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX58SW/60
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 92767

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (VIII to XV - 701 AD to 1499 AD (Between))

Full description

Baring Gould, S., 1900-1901, St. Petrock, 13 (Article in Serial). SDV19012.

Brief reference to the church in an article about St. Petroc.


Bligh Bond, F., 1903, Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II (Article in Serial). SDV6113.

Rood screen. New screen in 1903 to reproduce the old one. Modern reconstruction.


Radford, G. H., 1905, Lydford Town, 175-176 (Article in Serial). SDV336874.


Chanter, J. F., 1910, Christianity in Devon before AD 909, 491,496 (Article in Serial). SDV870.


Thompson, A. H., 1913, Church Architecture in Devon, 483 (Article in Serial). SDV15387.


Clarke, K. M., 1913, The Baptismal Fonts of Devon. Part 1, 320 (Article in Serial). SDV21185.

Font. A plain tub, of polyphant, the shape of a bucket, Norman. The bottom consists of a separate stone, cemented in; this lends support to the theory that early stone fonts were copied from wooden tubs, in which separate bottoms would be inserted. This bottom stone is circular, like a disc of even thickness; the sides of the font taper downwards. The font stands on a rectangular base, the upper edges of which are slightly bevelled. The corners are marked by axe cut grooves. The whole structure is raised on a modern step.


Cresswell, B. F., 1918-1919, Sepulchral Slabs with Crosses in Devon Churches, 8 (Article in Serial). SDV7613.

Lower end of a coffin-shaped slab, with part of a cross, is fixed on the wall of the porch.


Chanter, J. F., 1927, Sixteenth Report on Church Plate, 116 (Article in Serial). SDV239594.

Four chalices, inscribed 1725-1874, flagon, silver and glass cruets and spoon. Detailed description on Find record.
Chalices. A. Small Georgian cup with cover. Bowl bell shaped with marked lip, stem almost baluster shape. Inscription: "the gift of F. A. Hendly Esq. To the Church of Lydford for the service of God 1762". Marks: (James Strang) and Exeter marks for 1745. Cover. Shape, tea kettle lid. No marks.
B. Modern Medieval style, stem hexagonal, boss with six carbuncles, foot sexfoil, London marks for 1874.
Patens.
A. Cover to chalice A.
B. Plain on stand. Marks: P E (Philip Elston) and Exeter marks for 1725.
C. Modern medieval style. Marks: Messrs. Barnard & London, 1872.
D. To match chalice B. Marks I. C. S. and London, 1874.
Flagon. Silver and glass cruets. Spoon. With pierced bowl. Marks: as on paten D. Length 127 millimetres.


Anonymous, 1937, Proceedings of the 76th annual meeting, 22-23 (Article in Serial). SDV256417.


Fryer Cornelius, C., 1952, Ancient Churches of the Tavistock Deanery, Devon, 47-72,pl. (Article in Serial). SDV18005.

St. Petroc, parish church. Described as the church of St. Petroc in 1237, nearly 30 years before its dedication by Bishop Bronescombe. May have been founded by followers or disciples of St. Petroc himself.
The Saxons found the church (probably then built of wood) already existing. Sacked by the Danes in 997. Not mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon chronicle or in the Domesday book. First mentioned in the patent roll for the 21st year of King Henry III in 1237. Dedicated by Bishop Bronescombe in 1261.
Church originally consisted of a nave and chancel. Of the older church only the font and possibly the corner of the north wall near the tower remain. Tower and south aisle built in the 15th century. Windows altered, or new ones inserted about the middle of the 14th century. Aisle added in the 15th century on north side of the old church with an altar to the blessed virgin at the east end, the piscina belonging to this altar is still remaining. Unusual rood staircase open all the way up to the point at which the priest emerged. Pierced by a hagioscope in the 15th century. Tower of a type not very common in Devonshire, of granite and built about 610 millimetres away from where the old western wall formerly existed.
Restored in the 18th century by Reverend T. Burnaford. Old benches taken out, square pews, gallery, high reading desk and pulpit erected by him. He put up wooden tablets bearing the Ten Commandments and others inscribed with passages from the scriptures. Gilt and painted royal arms of George II put up at this period. Six bells of 1789. Piscina in south aisle discovered when the high pews were removed. It had been carefully covered up and contained a mutilated alabaster female figure. A larger piscina and the rood staircase found in 1811. Large brass alms dish in the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter is said to have belonged to Lydford Church. Curious feature of the tower arch is the panelling of the semi-octagonal jambs which are rare in Devon. Some 15th century work, early 16th century tower, modern north aisle and roofing throughout, rood stairs and squint.13th century piscina in chapel, early font, modern rood screen.


Cambridge University, 1971, CUC/BFK, 36, (21/6/1971) (Aerial Photograph). SDV346663.


Whittemore, P. J., 1978 - 1981, The Lost Monumental Brasses of Devonshire., 338 (Article in Serial). SDV57403.

Possible brass once fixed to table-tomb in churchyard discussed.


Griffith, F. M., 1984, DAP/CV, 7, 8 (Aerial Photograph). SDV233132.


Allan, J., 2001, An Angel from Pinhoe and other Medieval English Alabasters in Devon, 159-181 (Article in Serial). SDV338906.

During the church restoration of 1889-90 plaster was stripped from the walls revealing a small piscina in the south aisle. A medieval sculpted fragment of alabaster was found in the blocking of this feature. It may have been a fragment from a panel rather than a tomb sculpture but is now lost.


Exeter Archaeology, 2008, Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Sewage Treatment Works at Lydford (Report - Assessment). SDV351460.

The church od St Petrock referred to in 1237 and dedicated by Bishop Branscombe in 1261. The building originally consisted of a nave and chancel with a tower and aisles built in the 15th century. There may have been a pre-Saxon church at this site.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Parish Church. Main building periods are 13th, 15th century and 1889-90 when the church was enlarged and restored. Constructed mainly of coursed granite ashlar with some stone rubble. Gable ended slate roofs.
Plan: Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. The earliest fabric survives in the chancel, the church was substantially rebuilt and extended in the 15th century when the south aisle and porch and the tower were added. In 1889-90 major restoration work was undertaken and the north aisle added. Tower is of 3 stages with set-back buttresses and battlemented with crocketted pinnacles. Heavily moulded west doorway with 4-centred arch and hoodmould. Late Perpendicular 3-light window above. North aisle re-uses material from original north wall including 2-centred arched doorway and 1- and 2-light cinquefoiled windows. At its east end is a late Perpendicular granite, 2-light window. Late 19th century vestry at east end of aisle. This and the chancel have 2 late 19th century 3-light Perpendicular-style window. The south wall of the chancel has a 2-light 15th century cinquefoiled window. The south aisle has all late 19th century windows. Single storey south porch has moulded 4-centred arched doorway chamfered on the inside.
Interior : The south doorway is of granite, simply chamfered with an acute 4-centred arch and stone seats. Restored wagon roof. The south aisle arcade has 3 bays of granite depressed 4-centred double chamfered arches. Pevsner A-type piers with cup capitals and bases. The north aisle arcade is an exact replica. Good tall 4- centred tower arch whose jambs are carved with ogee-headed panels. . Chancel arch similar to arcades. In the south wall is a piscina with an arched opening and there is a squint from this aisle through to the sanctuary. In the north wall of the chancel is an original pointed cinquefoiled lancet not visible outside due to the addition of the vestry. In its south wall the chancel has a trefoil-headed piscina. The woodwork and carving in the church date mostly from the late 19th century and early 20th century and the pew-ends and screen particularly are of a good quality. Samuel Hooper of Hatherleigh was responsible for the restoration and the Misses Pinwell of Ermington carved the elaborate screen. The wagon roofs also date from this restoration. The tub-font may be pre-Norman and is made from a solid block of Hurdwick stone. Some 15th-16th century glass is preserved in the east window of the north aisle and the south- west window of the chancel.


McNeilage T. + McNeilage, R., Oct 2002, St. Petrock, Lydford, Devon. Monument to the Clockmaker. Conservation Report (Report - Assessment). SDV351613.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV15387Article in Serial: Thompson, A. H.. 1913. Church Architecture in Devon. Archaeological Journal. 70. Unknown. 483.
SDV18005Article in Serial: Fryer Cornelius, C.. 1952. Ancient Churches of the Tavistock Deanery, Devon. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 15. Unknown. 47-72,pl..
SDV19012Article in Serial: Baring Gould, S.. 1900-1901. St. Petrock. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 1. Unknown. 13.
SDV21185Article in Serial: Clarke, K. M.. 1913. The Baptismal Fonts of Devon. Part 1. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 45. A5 Hardback. 320.
SDV233132Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1984. DAP/CV. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 7, 8.
SDV239594Article in Serial: Chanter, J. F.. 1927. Sixteenth Report on Church Plate. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 59. A5 Hardback. 116.
SDV256417Article in Serial: Anonymous. 1937. Proceedings of the 76th annual meeting. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 69. Unknown. 22-23.
SDV336874Article in Serial: Radford, G. H.. 1905. Lydford Town. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 37. A5 Paperback. 175-176.
SDV338906Article in Serial: Allan, J.. 2001. An Angel from Pinhoe and other Medieval English Alabasters in Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 59. A5 Paperback. 159-181.
SDV346663Aerial Photograph: Cambridge University. 1971. CUC/BFK. Cambridge University Collection of Aerial Photographs. Photograph (Paper). 36, (21/6/1971).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #87494 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV351460Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2008. Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Sewage Treatment Works at Lydford. Exeter Archaeology. 08.31 (6475). A4 Grip Bound.
SDV351613Report - Assessment: McNeilage T. + McNeilage, R.. Oct 2002. St. Petrock, Lydford, Devon. Monument to the Clockmaker. Conservation Report. McNeilage Conservation. A4 Bound.
SDV57403Article in Serial: Whittemore, P. J.. 1978 - 1981. The Lost Monumental Brasses of Devonshire.. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 34. Unknown. 338.
SDV6113Article in Serial: Bligh Bond, F.. 1903. Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 35. Digital.
SDV7613Article in Serial: Cresswell, B. F.. 1918-1919. Sepulchral Slabs with Crosses in Devon Churches. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 10.1. Unknown. 8.
SDV870Article in Serial: Chanter, J. F.. 1910. Christianity in Devon before AD 909. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 42. A5 Hardback. 491,496.

Associated Monuments

MDV98397Related to: Anne Friend headstone south-east of Church of St Petrock (Monument)
MDV41882Related to: Enclosed Cemetary, Lydford (Monument)
MDV98392Related to: Friend headstone east of Church of St Petrock (Monument)
MDV98391Related to: Friend headstone south-east of Church of St Petrock (Monument)
MDV98394Related to: Group of foot and headstones south of Church of St Petrock, Lydford (Monument)
MDV101196Related to: Group of headstones south of Church of St Petrock, Lydford (Monument)
MDV98393Related to: Hannah Williams headstone south of Church of St Petrock (Monument)
MDV21796Related to: Medieval Borough of Lydford (Monument)
MDV14324Related to: Medieval Houses exposed opposite Lydford Parish Church (Monument)
MDV98390Related to: Pengeley and Redstone headstones south of Church of St Petrock (Monument)
MDV98388Related to: Philips' headstone south of Church of St Petrock, Lydford (Monument)
MDV101195Related to: Powell headstone south of Church of St Petrock (Monument)
MDV14317Related to: Ringwork to west of Lydford (Monument)
MDV98398Related to: Table tomb 13 metres south of Church of St Petrock (Monument)
MDV98396Related to: The Watchmaker's Tomb, St. Petrock's Churchyard (Monument)

Associated Finds

  • FDV2403 - CARVING (XI to Unknown - 1066 AD)
  • FDV3129 - CHURCH PLATE (XVIII to XIX - 1725 AD to 1874 AD)

Associated Events

  • EDV6171 - Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Sewage Treatment Works at Lydford (Ref: 08.31)

Date Last Edited:Sep 10 2018 9:42AM