HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV32607
Name:Pavilion, North Devon Cricket Ground, Instow

Summary

The pavilion, constructed of stone rubble under a thatch roof, is a former agricultural building adapted for its present use in 1836 when the North Devon Cricket Club moved to its current location at Instow.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 475 312
Map Sheet:SS43SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishInstow
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishINSTOW

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS43SE/212
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PAVILION (Converted, XIX - 1836 AD to 1836 AD)

Full description

Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV330488.

Cricket pavilion, said to have been originally a barn. Probably 18th century origins. Remodelled as pavilion in 1832. Painted stone rubble. Thatch roof with gable ends. Small stone rubble stacks. Overall u-shaped on plan. Club room to central main range, changing rooms to each of the projecting front wings, service room to rear. Three 3-light 19th century mullion windows to rear with leaded light casements flanking 2 buttresses. Five panelled door to inner face of rear wing with 2-light window to left. Plank doors (doe).


ACV, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV89956.

Building shown but not marked on os 6" (1903) map. Although north devon cricket ground is shown on this map (acv).


1971, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV89957.

'pavilion' and 'cricket ground' shown on os 6" (1971) map.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV89960.

Doe/hhr:instow/(29/5/1986)43.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV89962.

Turton, s. D. + weddell, p. J. /preliminary archaeological assessment taw-torridge tidal waters improvements/(1992)5/emafu report 92.32).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV89963.

Turton, s. D. + weddell, p. J. /archaeological assessment of sww taw-torridge tidal waters improvements/(1993)5/(emafu report 93.25).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV89964.

Turton, s. D. + weddell, p. J. /archaeological assessment of sww taw-torridge tidal waters improvements part 1:southern routes/(1993)6/(emafu 93.32).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV89965.

Turton, s. D. + weddell, p. J. /archaeological assessment of sww taw-torridge tidal waters improvements part 3:cornborough stw/(1994)11/(emafu report 94.12).


English Heritage, 27/01/2014, Cricket Pavilion, Instow (Correspondence). SDV357292.

Engllish Heritage have received an application from Devon County Council Historic Environment Team to amend the entry for the Cricket Pavilion. It does not appear on the mid 19th century tithe map as previously thought.


Passmore & Company, 1988, North Devon Cricket Club, Pavillion Enclosure (Plan - measured). SDV358916.


Child, P. C., 1988, Proposed Alterations to Pavillion, North Devon Cricket Club, Instow (Correspondence). SDV89961.

Instow cricket pavillion is a remarkable building being one of very few cricket pavilions surviving of this age (1832). A most attractive building with its thatched roof and painted stone walls, in an idyllic situation. An important component of its attractiveness is the existing open verandah which links the two wings on the playingfield side of the building. This is supported by chamfered timber pillars which could well be of 1832 data from their style. Mr. Child felt that the proposal to infill the open verandah and alter the eaves levels were entirely unsuitable and detrimental to the building (child).


Devon County Council, 1994, Analysis of the Historic Buildings and Structures on the Tarka Trail (Report - Survey). SDV348102.


GetMapping, 1999 - 2000, Millennium Map 1999-2000 Getmapping (Aerial Photograph). SDV321648.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


Historic England, 2015, Cricket Pavilion and score box, including adjacent former pillbox, North Devon Cricket
Club, The Pavilion, Sandhills, Instow, Devon
- List Entry Amended
(List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV359407.

Notification that following an assessment, the entry for the Cricket Pavilion and score box, including adjacent former pillbox on the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest has been amended. See advice report for details.


Historic England, 2015, Cricket Pavilion, Instow (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV359205.

Historic England have been asked to assess the listing of above building in the light of evidence that it is not shown on 1830s-40s tithe map. The initial assessment is now complete.
Instow Cricket Ground is part of the Christie Devon Estate. There is some discrepancy over the date of the cricket pavilion on the south side. The North Devon Cricket Club (NDCC) was founded in 1823 and, it is understood, moved to its current location at Instow in 1836, adapting an old agricultural building for use as a pavilion. The Instow Tithe map (circa 1840) records the land as a field in use for pasture, and only depicts one building on its west side. However, the form of the pavilion, including its original single-depth plan and thick granite walls, appears to confirm that the pavilion has been adapted from an earlier late-C18/ early-C19 building, likely a barn.
The top of the internal east wall indicates the roof was raised when converted to a pavilion. Two wings were also added on the west side, as well as a veranda that was originally supported by chamfered timbers (replaced in the late-C20 by a glazed timber partition). During the Second World War a brick pill box was constructed on the west side of cricket ground. It was associated with the Emergency Battery established along the coast to the north. In the 1950s a thatched score box was added to the side of the pill box. In the late C20 the pavilion was extended to the north and south with single-storey additions.
Permission to replace the south-end toilet block with a new single-storey structure was granted in 2015.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England, 1163454 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

Cricket Pavilion and score box, including adjacent former pillbox.
Summary of Building: Cricket pavilion of early C19 date with associated C20 score box and adjacent Second World War pillbox. The is C20 single-storey lean-to at the north end is not of special architectural or historic interest and is not included in the listing.
Reasons for Designation: North Devon Cricket Pavilion, score box and former pillbox are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: it is one the earliest listed examples of a building adapted for use as a cricket pavilion; * Architectural interest: this former agricultural building has been adapted to a cricket pavilion using traditional building materials, maintaining a vernacular style which was also favoured by later purpose-built examples; * Degree of survival: despite the alterations to the roof and the infill within the veranda; the phases of the building remain legible, including its former agricultural use and its current incarnation as a sports building. It also retains its associated score box.
History: Instow Cricket Ground is part of the Christie Devon Estate. There is some discrepancy over the date of the cricket pavilion on the south side. The North Devon Cricket Club (NDCC) was founded in 1823 and, it is understood, moved to its current location at Instow in 1836, adapting an old agricultural building for use as a pavilion. The Instow Tithe map (circa 1840) records the land as a field in use for pasture, and only depicts one building on its west side. However, the form of the pavilion, including its original single-depth plan and thick granite walls, appears to confirm that the pavilion has been adapted from an earlier late-C18/ early-C19 building, probably a barn.
The top of the internal east wall indicates the roof was raised when the building was converted to a pavilion. Two wings were also added on the west side, as well as a veranda that was originally supported by chamfered timbers (replaced in the late-C20 by a glazed timber partition).
During the Second World War a brick pill box was constructed on the west side of the cricket ground. It was associated with the Emergency Battery established along the coast to the north. In the 1950s a thatched score box was added to the side of the pill box.
In the late C20 the pavilion was extended to the north and south with single-storey additions. Permission to replace the south-end toilet block with a new single-storey structure was granted in 2015.
Details: Mid-C19 cricket pavilion and detached mid-C20 score box with attached former pillbox, for North Devon Cricket Club. Likely originally built as a barn of late-C18/early-C19 origins, it was remodelled as a pavilion in 1836.
MATERIALS: painted stone rubble with a gable-end thatch roof. At either end are small rubble-stone stacks with brick caps.
PLAN: the building has an overall U-shaped plan, with the long elevation on a north- to-south axis and an additional east wing at the south end. There is C20 single-storey lean-to (not included in the listing) attached to the north end and a later single-storey toilet block attached to the south end.
EXTERIOR: the pavilion is single-storey. The west elevation faces onto the cricket ground. In the centre is an enclosed veranda with corrugated iron roof and late-C20 glazed doors and windows. It is flanked by projecting gable wings. Within the veranda, the inner face of each side wing has a plank door with strap hinges. The wing gable ends have large C20 three-light transom windows. Beneath the veranda is the main central entrance, a plank door flanked by C19 three-light mullion windows. The north and south gable ends of the pavilion are partially obscured by the later lean-tos. The east elevation has three, three-light C19 windows with lead casements, separated by two large buttresses. The east wing has a panelled door and a C19 casement window on the north face, a further C19 casement on the gable end and a truncated lateral stone chimney stack on the south side.
INTERIOR: there is club meeting room in the main range with chimney breasts at either end. Attached to the south end is wooden First World War Roll of Honour for the members of the North Devon Cricket Club who fought in the conflict and above, where the upper part of the chimney breast has been removed, is a single-light external window. At the north end is a late-C20 bar. The central entrance in the west side is flanked by two thick internal buttresses. Above is a king-post roof with five principal trusses secured by timber pegs. Some of the timber has been replaced. The projecting west wings contain changing rooms; Away to the north and Home to the south. The changing rooms have vertical timber-plank panelling and the same roof structure as in the main range. The east wing contains a modern kitchen.
SCORE BOX AND ATTACHED FORMER PILLBOX: to the south-west of the pavilion is the score box, brick, with a thatched roof, and weather boarding to the front gable end. It is square in plan with access to the rear. The attached former pillbox is brick with a thick concrete roof and infilled embrasures.
The C20 single-storey lean-to at the north end is not of special architectural or historic interest and is not included in the listing.
Date first listed: 29th May 1986. Date of most recent amendment: 3rd December 2015.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV321648Aerial Photograph: GetMapping. 1999 - 2000. Millennium Map 1999-2000 Getmapping. Millennium Map. Photograph (Digital).
SDV330488Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348102Report - Survey: Devon County Council. 1994. Analysis of the Historic Buildings and Structures on the Tarka Trail. Devon County Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV357292Correspondence: English Heritage. 27/01/2014. Cricket Pavilion, Instow. Application Received to Amend the Entry. Digital.
SDV358916Plan - measured: Passmore & Company. 1988. North Devon Cricket Club, Pavillion Enclosure. Architect's Drawing. Plan + Digital.
SDV359205List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Historic England. 2015. Cricket Pavilion, Instow. Notification of Completion of Assessment. Digital.
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1163454.
SDV359407List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Historic England. 2015. Cricket Pavilion and score box, including adjacent former pillbox, North Devon Cricket Club, The Pavilion, Sandhills, Instow, Devon - List Entry Amended. Notification of Amendment to List. Digital.
SDV89956Migrated Record: ACV.
SDV89957Migrated Record: 1971.
SDV89960Migrated Record:
SDV89961Correspondence: Child, P. C.. 1988. Proposed Alterations to Pavillion, North Devon Cricket Club, Instow. Letter to Local Planning Authority. Letter + Digital.
SDV89962Migrated Record:
SDV89963Migrated Record:
SDV89964Migrated Record:
SDV89965Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV102595Related to: Former building adjacent to the sea wall at North Devon Cricket Ground (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5526 - Survey of Historic Buildings and Structures on the Tarka Trail

Date Last Edited:Dec 1 2017 11:08AM