HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV33091
Name:Holcombe Vicarage

Summary

House, former vicarage dated 1750, refurbished in mid-late 19th century. Listing includes outbuildings to north and west and boundary walls.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 056 189
Map Sheet:ST01NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHolcombe Rogus
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishHOLCOMBE ROGUS

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST01NE/64

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • VICARAGE (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Gabriel, A. + Fletcher, B., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV37882.

The present vicarage was built in 1756 in part of the old walled garden of the court, after the death of the rev robert bluett, and has been used continually since (gabriel + fletcher).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV55718.

Gabriel, a. + fletcher, b. /a short history of holcombe rogus/(1986)18.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.


English Heritage, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV357602.

The Vicarage including outbuildings to north and west and boundary walls. House, former vicarage. Dated 1750, refurbished in mid-late C19. Plastered stone rubble; stone rubble stacks topped with C19 brick; slate roof. Plan: double depth plan-house facing south-east. The main front block has a 2-room plan with one of the principal rooms either side of a central entrance hall which contains the main stairs. These principal rooms each have gable-end stacks. Service rear rooms under parallel roofs set at right angles to the main block and producing a double-gabled rear elevation. The left gable-end has a chimney shaft; it was probably the kitchen. House is 2 storeys. Exterior: main block has a symmetrical 3-window front arranged around a central doorway which contains a mid C19 pair of part-glazed double doors with margin panes. It is flanked by contemporary French windows with glazing bars and margin panes. The first floor windows are probably earlier; a central 16-pane sash flanked by 20- pane sashes. The eaves are carried on a series of shaped brackets and the roof is gable-ended. The left end chimneyshaft includes a datestone inscribed 1750. The rear has C19 casements with glazing bars. There is also, across the front, a C19 verandah, now with a C20 roof of corrugated plastic supported on cast iron trellis posts and with a floor of polychrome tiles. This verandah is taken across the front the outbuilding to left as far as the doorway through the boundary wall from the lane. (These ancillary features are described below). Interior: was not available for inspection at the time of this survey. However enough was seen to establish that the interior contains more C18 joinery and other detail than the exterior might suggest. The stair, for instance, rises round an open well, it has an open string with shaped stair brackets and turned balusters with flat blocks. There is some ornamental plasterwork here which is C18 in style if it is not original. Either side of the front are ancillary outbuildings. The one to left has a C19 doorway containing a part-glazed door onto the verandah. This one now has C20 garage doors onto the lane up to the church. Behind this is a service courtyard and the rear block of this contains a second garage with its doorway onto the lane. This one with an elliptical arch doorway of circa 1930. The property is enclosed by a tall stone rubble wall. The space between the garages contains a segmental-headed arch doorway from the lane to the service courtyard. Alongside the front of the house, from the lane to the verandah, there is a segmental arched doorway of C18 brick (now containing a C19 panelled door). The wall along the lane returning along Fore Street has plain coping. Along the rear of the property it has slate coping and at the far (north-eastern) end includes a carriageway under a segmental arch. This house including its outbuildings and boundary walls form an attractive group in the vicinity of Holcombe Court (q.v), the Priest House (q.v) and Church of All Saints (q.v). Apparently the Vicarage was built in an old walled garden of Holcombe Court after the death of the Reverend Robert Bluett (d. 1749). He had lived at Holcombe Court and allowed the Priest House to fall into disrepair. Source: Andrew Gabriel and Barbara Fletcher. A Short History of Holcombe Rogus (1986).p 18. They date the Vicarage 1756.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #87650 ]
SDV357602National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV37882Migrated Record: Gabriel, A. + Fletcher, B..
SDV55718Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 28 2015 3:14PM