HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV33096
Name:Higher Rookabear Farmhouse, Fremington


Higher Rookabear probably dates from the 16th century. The lower end was rebuilt in the early 17th century rather unusually in brick. Although the house was largely altered in the 19th century the parlour still retains a 17th century plasterwork overmantle. The roof structure is 20th century.


Grid Reference:SS 524 305
Map Sheet:SS53SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishFremington
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishFREMINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS53SW/103
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Built, XVI to XVII - 1501 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Higher Rookabeare Farmhouse. Farmhouse. Probably C16 origins, the lower end rebuilt in early C17. Rendered stone rubble and some cob to left side, through-passage and lower end unusually rebuilt with early C17 handmade bricks, now painted. Slate roof with gable ends. Truncated lateral front hall stack and diagonally set brick stack at right end. 3-room and through-passage plan, with hall and small dairy at higher end to left, and lower end rebuilt as parlour in C17. 2 storeys. 4-window range of C20 2-light casements, 8 panes per light. 2-light dairy window to left end and two 3-light casements flanking plank door to through-passage doorway. Small single storey late C19 brick kitchen extension to rear of hall. Interior: Largely altered in C19 and roof structure replaced in C20, but parlour and hall have scroll-stopped chamfered ceiling beams and parlour retains C17 plasterwork overmantel with moulded top and bottom rails, strapwork surround with initials GP to left and WP to right of central plaque with shield and achievement, said to be the insignia of the Company of Spanish Merchants.

Department of Environment, 29/05/1986, Fremington, 3 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV342173.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV342173List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 29/05/1986. Fremington. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 3.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #87651 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Apr 24 2014 10:14AM