HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV33193
Name:Batworthy Farmhouse, Chagford

Summary

Existing farmhouse at Batworthy, this building is late 18th century in date. A plastered granite rubble construction with asbestos slate roof, replacing an earlier thatched roof in the 1940s. Sometimes known as Lower Batworthy' this is one of the three properties in the hamlet all named Batworthy in the late 18th century. Was used as a dwelling concurrently with the old farmhouse, this building eventually became the only dwelling when the other farmhouse was converted for use as a cider house.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 714 852
Map Sheet:SX78NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChagford
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCHAGFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78NW/195
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 94530

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVII to XVIII - 1650 AD to 1799 AD (Between))

Full description

1840, Tithe Map (Cartographic). SDV339770.

Farmhouse depicted on the Tithe Map.


Thorp, J. + Cox, J., 1994, Batworthy Farm, Chagford, 10-15 (Report - Survey). SDV347507.

The third of the three properties known as Batworthy (the others being the former farmhouse/cider house and Batworthy Mill), is the present farmhouse. Documentary sources exist for this property from 1766. It was sometimes known as ‘Lower Batworthy’ and was owned with the other two properties by the Collins family from 1830-approximately 1880. In the 1850s James Collins and his wife who were retired from milling lived in the cider house while their sons took care of the farming and milling at the holding and lived in this property. By the 1880s the old longhouse appears to have gone out of domestic use and become the cider house.
In 1920 the farm was put up for auction and was described as one of the ‘healthiest and best stock-raising holdings in the District’. The sale particulars list the buildings and features of the farm.
In 1994 the farm was still just over 100 acres in size – the same as it had been in 1832 at the time of the Tithe Apportionment. The farmhouse appears to be late 18th century in date, but its long and narrow shape may indicate older origins. Built on a north-south axis from plastered granite rubble with an asbestos slate roof, which replaced the thatched roof in around 1941. 4-room plan, with the two ‘best’ rooms to the southern end. It has been little modernised and appears much the same as its description in the 1920 sales particulars.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Late 17th - early 18th century farmhouse constructed from plastered granite stone rubble; granite stacks, one with a granite ashlar chimney shaft; asbestos slate roof (formerly thatch). Plan: 3-room plan house facing east. Left (south) end kitchen stack and axial stack serving the right (north) end parlour. Unheated room between was probably a dairy and the end rooms are connected by a front corridor past it. Two storeys.
Exterior: irregular 5-window front, all 20th century casements with glazing bars except first floor right which is 19th century and contains rectangular panes of leaded glass. Present doorway at left end contains a 20th century door. The window right of centre is probably blocking the original door. Roof is gable-ended to left and half-hipped to right. Interior has plain carpentry detail where exposed but most is covered by 19th and 20th century plaster. Other details: LB UID: 94530.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV339770Cartographic: 1840. Tithe Map. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #87726 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV347507Report - Survey: Thorp, J. + Cox, J.. 1994. Batworthy Farm, Chagford. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K412. A4 Comb Bound. 10-15.

Associated Monuments

MDV77127Part of: Batworthy farmstead, Chagford (Monument)
MDV33194Related to: Barn, Batworthy Farm (Building)
MDV8262Related to: Batworthy Mill, Chagford (Building)
MDV80391Related to: Butter well at Batworthy Farm, Chagford (Monument)
MDV80386Related to: Cart shed at Batworthy Farm, Chagford (Monument)
MDV33195Related to: Cider house, (former farmhouse) Batworthy Farm (Building)
MDV80388Related to: Milking parlour at Batworthy Farm, Chagford (Monument)
MDV80383Related to: New barn at Batworthy Farm, Chagford (Building)
MDV80389Related to: Piggery at Batworthy Farm, Chagford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5142 - Building survey at Batworthy Farmstead, Chagford

Date Last Edited:Jun 9 2016 11:31AM