HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV33206
Name:Chagford House, including front terrace

Summary

Small mansion built around 1820 as the grand new accommodation for the rector, replacing the church house (now 'Bellacouch'). The living of Chagford was very well-endowed and was described in the mid-19th century as one of the richest in Devon. Became a private residence when a new purpose-built rectory to the south was constructed in 1887.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 703 874
Map Sheet:SX78NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChagford
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCHAGFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78NW/26
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • VICARAGE (XIX - 1820 AD to 1829 AD (Between))
  • MANSION HOUSE (XIX - 1887 AD to 1899 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

House marked as Rectory on 1880s-1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map.


Department of Environment, 1987, Chagford, 84 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV350463.

Chagford House including front terrace. Small mansion. Circa 1820. Plastered granite rubble walls; granite rubble stacks, some with plastered brick tops. Main chimney shafts of granite ashlar; slate roof. Double depth plan house facing ne. The principal rooms are those to the centre and the right end of the main block. Two 5 window front of mostly original 12 pane sashes. Good interior is little modernized, although there is some secondary late 19th century Jacobean/17th century style detail. The entrance hall is lined with panelling. See listing description for full details.


Rice, I., 2002, The Book of Chagford. A Town Apart, 78-9 (Monograph). SDV356605.

Chagford Rectory. The living of Chagford was very well-endowed and was described in the mid-19th century as one of the richest in Devon. The earliest surviving habitation of the incumbent was the Church House (now 'Bellacouch') on the southern boundary of the churchyard. In around 1820, a new rectory was constructed, approached by an avenue from the churchyard. Chagford House remains in the possession of the Hayter-Hames, whose family provided a number of the past rectors of Chagford. In 1887, the local builders, the Stones built a further new large rectory at the foot of Nattadon Hill, a little above and behind Chagford House.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Chagford House marked on modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Chagford House. Small mansion. Circa 1820. Plastered granite rubble walls; granite rubble stacks, some with plastered brick tops but the main chimney shafts are granite ashlar; slate roof.
Plan: double depth plan house facing north-east. The principal rooms are those to the centre and the right (north-western) end of the main block. Here there is a large front and rear room either side of the spacious entrance hall and rear stair. An axial stack between the right rooms serves back to back fireplaces. There is another axial stack to left serving the rear room there and the front room has a stack to left. Main block continued left (south-eastwards) with the front set back very slightly from the main rooms. There are 2 small front rooms, the right one a study with an axial stack in the wall between the two and the other with an end stack. Service rooms to rear. Kitchen block with end stack projecting to rear left of centre. 2 storeys with some attics.
Exterior: two 5-window front of mostly original 12-pane sashes. The 5-window section is to the principal rooms and broken forward a little and is symmetrically arranged around the large central doorway. It contains double doors (panelled and part-glazed with glazing bars), overlight with a geometric pattern of glazing bars with a double set of margin panes and corner rosettes, fielded panel reveals, and flat-roofed Tuscan porch with large turned granite outer columns and moulded timber architrave. Plain projecting eaves and roof is hipped each end. Both ends have 3-window fronts of 12-pane sashes. The rear elevation has a large round-headed sash to the stairs with Y-tracery glazing bars. A rear door below this is behind a possibly secondary porch which continues and returns along the kitchen block as storage sheds. The parlour to left of the back door has a double 12-pane sash divided by a plain granite mullion. The kitchen block has a hipped roof. Along the inner side is a first floor round-headed sash, a smaller version of the stair window. The outer side of the kitchen block and service end of the main block partly enclose a small service courtyard but again contain mostly 12-pane sashes although there are some ground floor fixed pane windows protected by external iron bars.
Good interior is little modernised, although there is some secondary late 19th century Jacobean/17th century-style detail. The entrance hall is lined with panelling, tall full height panels above the dado. Large geometric stair has an open string, slender turned balusters, a moulded mahogany handrail and curtain step. The principal rooms are all panelled in the same way. The left front parlour/dining room has an original grey marble chimneypiece with console shaped fluted sides. The right front parlour has a secondary timber bolection chimneypiece and panelled overmantel containing portraits. Both have papier-mache ceilings, the former in Jacobean style, the latter in Adams style. Much good joinery detail throughout. The front terrace is fenced by a low open granite balustrade. The flat topped rail is soffit-moulded and supported on a series of square king posts and between those thinner balusters which are chamfered and very reminiscent of local 17th century window mullions. Along the top are a number of plain granite flower bowls.
Date listed: 20th February 1952.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #87739 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV350463List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Chagford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Bound. 84.
SDV356605Monograph: Rice, I.. 2002. The Book of Chagford. A Town Apart. The Book of Chagford. Hardback Volume. 78-9.

Associated Monuments

MDV33161Related to: 1 and 2 Bellacouch Cottages, Chagford (Building)
MDV8257Related to: Font in Garden of Chagford House (Monument)
MDV33207Related to: Stables and Coach House to south of Chagford House (Building)
MDV114200Related to: The new Chagford Rectory (Building)
MDV114198Related to: The old Chagford Rectory (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 2 2016 10:37AM