HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV33261
Name:Moorlands Hotel (the old Town Mill), Chagford

Summary

Hotel on site of cloth-making mill. Originally a complex of fine early-19th century buildings constructed from plastered granite stone rubble with granite or brick stacks with plastered brick chimney shafts; slate roof. Converted to a hotel in 1848 when the woollen mill first ceased trading.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 699 875
Map Sheet:SX68NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChagford
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCHAGFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX68NE/207
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WOOLLEN MILL (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1840 AD (Between))
  • BAPTIST CHAPEL (XIX - 1834 AD to 1834 AD (Between))
  • HOTEL (Altered, XIX - 1848 AD to 1899 AD (Between))

Full description

1840, Tithe Map (Cartographic). SDV339770.

Structure is depicted on the Tithe Map, 95 on the apportionment. The full extent of the mill buildings was much greater at this time, and extended to the rear of the plot. Map object based on this source.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Building is depicted on the late 19th century historic map as 'Moorlands'. Considerable change has occurred since the mill ceased trading in 1848 and was converted into a hotel.

Rice, I., 2002, The Book of Chagford. A Town Apart, 28, 68-9, 79 (Monograph). SDV356605.

John Berry, an entrepreneur from Ashburton, came to Chagford in around 1800 and set up a substantial woollen manufactory, on several sites to the north and west of the Square. The first of these was the complex of fine early-19th century buildings that later became the Moorland Hotel. These included 'Mr Berry's House', the original mill driven by a leat taken from the same source as the town water system as well as a drying-shed, warehouse and wool store. Also in the complex of buildings were weaving lofts, several workers' houses and, at one stage, a chapel. The second site was the fulling-mill at the foot of Mill Street and then the Higher and Lower Factories to the west by the River Teign.
Mr Berry, the Chagford wool master, was a Wesleyan sympathiser and in 1834 he leased the Baptists a chapel in his buildings for a nominal rent. This site is now included within the houses below Mr Berry's house - the chapel interior is still partly extant within the roof of Millaton. This chapel was succeeded by the new Methodist Chapel in Mill Street, built in 1861.

Dartmoor National Park Authority, 2005, Chagford Conservation Area Appraisal (Draft), 29 (Report - Assessment). SDV357554.

Moorlands, Mill Street
Although ranging from two-storeys to three, and having an unusual F-shaped plan, the appearance of this building defies its origins as a cloth-making mill. Converted to an hotel in 1848, it is something of a
landmark in the town, although the exuberance of its Italianate style reflects more the cosmopolitan nature of its new use than the architectural traditions of a small country town.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this source.

English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Hotel on site of cloth-making mill. Mid 19th century. Plastered granite stone rubble; granite or brick stacks with plastered brick chimney shafts; slate roof.
Plan: Hotel with a rambling, basically F-shaped, plan. The main block is set back from the street and faces north-east with an entrance block projecting forward from it. A crosswing projects forward from the right (north-western) end, the end of which retains a short distance parallel with the main block. Most of the rooms are heated by a series of axial and gable-end stacks. The main rooms are mostly on the upper floors with service rooms on the ground floor, in basements and rear outshots. It is built down a hillslope. The left uphill end is 2 storeys, most is 3 storeys and the right downhill end includes basements. Exterior: the main front has a 3:4 window front with the entrance block between. Most are horned 12-pane sashes. The lower windows have ornate stucco architraves which includes foliate enrichment of the moulded entablature. The upper windows have low segmental heads with a stucco keystone fashioned as a human mask and flanked by radiating bands of Vitruvian enrichment. The left section is symmetrical about a 9- panel door with fanlight. The right section is basically symmetrical and divided into bays by panelled pilasters. The narrower outer bays here contain tall round- headed sashes with Y-tracery glazing bars with enriched stucco architraves. The first floor windows of the central bay have enriched pedimented heads and there are a series of stucco roundels at first floor level. The gable end of the entrance block has 6-panel door with fanlight with a heavy projecting moulding above articulated as a porch. Above this a stucco laurel wreath. The courtyard side of the crosswing has a 3:2 window front in the same style as the rest. Interior not inspected. From the front corner of the crosswing railings extend south-eastwards enclosing the forecourt. They are cast iron spear-headed railing set into granite ashlar coping. Granite ashlar monolithic gate posts are square in section with rounded tops.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV339770Cartographic: 1840. Tithe Map. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV356605Monograph: Rice, I.. 2002. The Book of Chagford. A Town Apart. The Book of Chagford. Hardback Volume. 28, 68-9, 79.
SDV357554Report - Assessment: Dartmoor National Park Authority. 2005. Chagford Conservation Area Appraisal (Draft). Dartmoor National Park Authority Report. Digital. 29.

Associated Monuments

MDV80547Related to: 22 Mill Street, Chagford (Building)
MDV114205Related to: 30-36 Mill Street and 3 Kingswood, Chagford (Building)
MDV21305Related to: Chagford Woollen Mill (Higher Factory) (Building)
MDV21306Related to: Chagford Woollen Mill (Lower Factory) (Building)
MDV33262Related to: Lawn House, Chagford (Building)
MDV114122Related to: Methodist Chapel, Mill Street, Chagford (Building)
MDV106928Related to: Old Fire Station, Manor Road, Chagford (Building)
MDV33318Related to: Pond Cottage, Chagford (Building)
MDV114204Related to: Rack field and buildings, Chagford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 11 2019 4:02PM