HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV33278
Name:Farm Buildings north-west of north Langston Farmhouse

Summary

Range of farm buildings to the north-west of north Langston Farm house dating between the 16th and 19th centuries.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 673 901
Map Sheet:SX69SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishThrowleigh
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTHROWLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX69SE/167/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 94745

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • AGRICULTURAL BUILDING (XVI to XIX - 1550 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Irregular group of adjoining buildings shown on 19th century map at Langston.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Irregular shaped range of agricultural buildings shown on modern mapping to the north-west of north Langston farmhouse.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Range of farmbuildings approximately 7 metres north-west of Langston Farmhouse (north) dating from the late 16th to the 19th century. The oldest sections are massive blocks of granite ashlar, the rest is granite stone rubble, usually with large roughly-shaped quoins, and some cob; slate roof to apple store, rest is corrugated iron (formerly thatch).
Plan and description: Long range of continuous farmbuildings of various agricultural function facing the back of Langston Farmhouse (north) to the south-east and built down a hillslope. At the left end there is what appears to have been a late 17th-early 18th century 3-bay linhay converted to a hen house in the late 19th century. The central bay is now the entrance and flanked by the monolithic granite posts which support the crossbeams. The roof is 19th century, probably lower than the original. The outer bays are filled with granite rubble and cob. At the left end a 19th century apple store projects forward at right angles. The 4-bay loft is open-fronted, the ground floor is rubble with a doorway at the left end. 19th century carpentry and joinery. Alongside the henhouse/former linhay is a threshing barn. Its massive nearly ashlar masonry suggests an early date. It has opposing doorways to the threshing floor a little right of centre and towards the left front end is a hayloft loading hatch. Remains of a 19th century horse engine house to rear, its structure carried on a series of granite orthostats. The barn roof is a late 17th or 18th century replacement; A-frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars. The roof line of the barn is continuous with the former linhay and is gable-ended. A pair of late 18th-early 19th century pigsties, each with a low front door and feeding hatch to right, has been built against the front wall right of the doorway. Below the barn at the downhill right is a shippon. This is a late 16th-early 17th century and partly rebuilt in the late 18th - early 19th century. The main shippon is set back a short distance from the front of the barn. Though modernised in the 20th century it still has a drain and tethering posts and has narrow slit windows in the side walls and dung hatch in the end wall. In the late 18th - early 19th century a 2-bay leanto cart shed was built onto the right end, its front now filled. At the same time the shippon re- roofed and the roof was carried down to shelter the shippon entrance between the cartshed and pigsties. The hayloft space above this section was knocked out for loading. The shippon has plain carpentry detail and the roof still includes two true cruck principals in situ at the front. The roof was however basically rebuilt in the late 18th - early 19th century with A-frame trusses with pegged and spiked lap-jointed collars. In the front shelter section the front principals are of enormous length from the apex to the base of the shelter roof. This range of varied farmbuildings form part of a very picturesque group of Dartmoor buildings which includes Langston Farmhouse (north) and Langstone Farmhouse (south) and their associated farmbuildings. Other details: LBS Number 94745.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #87802 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV78106Part of: North Langston Farmstead, Throwleigh (Monument)
MDV33276Related to: Barn and Linhay to the west of South Langston Farmhouse (Building)
MDV33279Related to: Cottage south-west of North Langston Farmhouse (Building)
MDV33280Related to: North Langston Farmhouse (Building)
MDV33277Related to: South Langston Farmhouse (Building)
MDV78107Related to: South Langston Farmstead, Throwleigh (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 16 2013 12:55PM