HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV33280
Name:North Langston Farmhouse

Summary

North Langston Farm house probably built in the 16th century with late 17th century improvements and major renovation in 1892.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 673 901
Map Sheet:SX69SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishThrowleigh
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTHROWLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX69SE/167
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 94743

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LONGHOUSE (XV to XIX - 1500 AD to 1892 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Buildings at Langston shown on 19th century map.


Gerrard, S., 1993-2002, Monument Protection Programme Alternative Action Report (Report - non-specific). SDV145710.

Considered under the Monument Protection Programme but not recommended for scheduling because farm still in use.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Irregular shaped building shown on modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

North Langston Farmhouse including the garden walls adjoining to front. Originally a 3-room-and-through-passage plan Dartmoor longhouse facing south-east and built down the hillslope. The shippon was then right (downhill) of the passage. The hall has an axial stack backing onto the passage. The inner room end was refurbished in the late 17th century to provide a parlour with an end stack. The whole house was refurbished in 1892. Then the inner room was relegated to a dairy. The hall became a dining room and a kitchen was built on the back in a single storey outshot with end stack. The rear of the passage was blocked and a new stair built off the back end of the passage rising up the rear wall of the hall. A new parlour was built in the upper end of the shippon with an axial stack backing onto the rest of the old shippon which then became a stable or coach house. House is two storeys throughout.
Exterior: Irregular 3-window front of 1892 fenestration, most are casements with glazing bars but the parlour and hall and parlour chambers have 16-pane sashes. The front passage doorway right of centre contains a contemporary 6-panel door. Much of the front has been replastered since 1892 but some of the scheme of that date survives. There was a plain eaves cornice and flat stucco architraves around the windows whilst the rest is incised as ashlar. Roof is gable-ended. The right gable end shows evidence of its former shippon use. No clear evidence of a drain but there is a slit window and hayloft loading hatch over. There is also a blocked cow doorway.
Interior is largely the result of the 1892 refurbishment and most of its detail still survives. Plaster of that date covers most of the carpentry detail and a contemporary marble chimneypiece blocks the hall fireplace. However the late 17th century parlour fireplace is exposed; granite rubble with curving pentan and plain oak lintel. Roof not inspected but the bases of steeply-pitched A-frame trusses show, probably put there in the late 17th century when the walls were raised. There is a hint of a late 16th century internal jetty at the upper end of the hall. The front garden is enclosed by a low granite stone rubble wall probably put there in 1892. Langston is a little modernised farmhouse in a a most picturesque group setting. It shows a long development in which the Victorian work is as important as the earlier structure. Source. Private family diaries record the refurbishment of 1892 and mention the conversion of the shippon. They also record much more interesting detail relating to the organisation of the farm at the turn of the century. Other details: LBS Number 94743.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV145710Report - non-specific: Gerrard, S.. 1993-2002. Monument Protection Programme Alternative Action Report. English Heritage. Unknown.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #87804 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV78106Part of: North Langston Farmstead, Throwleigh (Monument)
MDV33276Related to: Barn and Linhay to the west of South Langston Farmhouse (Building)
MDV33279Related to: Cottage south-west of North Langston Farmhouse (Building)
MDV33278Related to: Farm Buildings north-west of north Langston Farmhouse (Building)
MDV33277Related to: South Langston Farmhouse (Building)
MDV78107Related to: South Langston Farmstead, Throwleigh (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 16 2013 1:16PM