HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV33318
Name:Pond Cottage, Chagford

Summary

Former mid-19th century fulling mill and pond, rearranged when converted to cottages circa 1900. Interior contains plain but sturdy carpentry detail. Pond Cottage was formerly known as Eaglehurst Mill and is an interesting relic of the cloth-making industry. The site may have been used since medieval times.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 695 877
Map Sheet:SX68NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChagford
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCHAGFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX68NE/192
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FULLING MILL (XIX - 1835 AD to 1875 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Building and pond are depicted on the Tithe Map.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Building, pond and new gas works are depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


Department of Environment, 1987, Chagford, 51 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV350463.

Pond Cottage including pond walls adjoining to south-east. Former fulling mill and pond. Mid 19th century, rearranged when converted to cottages circa 1900. Plastered granite with timber-framed upper floor; granite stacks with brick chimney shafts; thatch roof (maybe slate originally).
The building north-west backing onto the pond and its associated workings. It has a two room plan. Each room was heated by a front lateral stack. These stacks may be secondary but the evidence is unclear. Internal cross wall. Originally the ground floor was used as a fulling mill. There is evidence for underfloor channels, one through each room and maybe an undershot water wheel against the right end wall powered the machinery. The upper floor was then a cloth drying loft. Most of the windows are on the back. The front has 3 doorways. Roof is gable-ended.
Interior contains plain but sturdy carpentry detail. Roof structure inaccessible. Pond Cottage was formerly known as Eaglehurst Mill and is an interesting relic of the cloth-making industry.


Rice, I., 2002, The Book of Chagford. A Town Apart, 68-9 (Monograph). SDV356605.

The fulling-mill and pond at the foot of Mill Street was probably on medieval origin. It was the second site (after the mill buildings on Mill Street - now Moorlands) established by Mr Berry. The water suplly came from Padley Brook and was probably the site of the original tucking-mill, although in the 15th century a woollen mill was recorded on the river bank at the same location of the much later 'Lower Factory'.
The old fulling mill on Padley Brook was abandoned when the woollen factory ceased business in around 1880 and it lay semi-derelict for a time before being converted to living accommodation. It was occupied during the war years by a farming family from Teignhead Farm. More recently, this complex of buildings has been the subject of an award-winning conversion into a house 'Millponds', designed by Chagford-based architect Allen van der Steen.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

3/64 Pond Cottage including pond walls 28.4.87 adjoining to south-east, GVII
House, former fulling mill and pond. Mid C19, rearranged somewhat when converted to cottages circa 1900. Plastered granite with timber-framed upper floor; granite stacks with brick chimney shafts; thatch roof (maybe slate originally).
Plan: the building faces north-west backing onto the pond and its associated workings. It has a 2-room plan. Each room was heated by a front lateral stack. These stacks may be secondary but the evidence is unclear. Indeed the internal crosswall may also be secondary. The upper floor was converted to domestic use circa 1900 and at this time the attic floor was probably inserted. A central axial stack serves the attic rooms. Originally the ground floor was used as a fulling mill. There is evidence for underfloor channels, one through each room and maybe an undershot water wheel against the right end wall powered the machinery. The upper floor was then a cloth drying loft. Behind the house is a narrow reservoir separated from the pond by a dam. This provided water for the underfloor channels through the mill and was fed from the pond by a sluice. Another sluice from the pond fed the putative wheel at the right end of the building.
Exterior: most of the windows are on the back. The front has 3 doorways. The right one was inserted circa 1900 through the fireplace of that room. The other 2 are probably original. External stone stairs rise to the circa 1900 cottages and these may be secondary. The ground floor is built of rubble, the upper floor is timber framed and clad with original louvre boards. These were retained as a kind of weatherboarding when the building was converted to cottages. Roof is gable-ended and the louvre boards extend right up to the apex. The rear or pond side has a regular 4-window front of C19 and C20 casements, the oldest containing rectangular panes of leaded glass.
Interior contains plain but sturdy carpentry detail. The first floor structure contains evidence of hatches from the ground to the first floor. The roof structure is not accessible although it can be seen to be made of deal trusses. The pond and dam are built mostly of large blocks of granite ashlar although the south-east side is built of stone rubble. The pond is approximately 75 metres long and its original depth is nearly 2 metres. It is fed by a natural stream and has an overflow channel in the northern corner. Pond Cottage, formerly known as Eaglehurst Mill, is an interesting relic of the cloth-making industry.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV350463List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Chagford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Bound. 51.
SDV356605Monograph: Rice, I.. 2002. The Book of Chagford. A Town Apart. The Book of Chagford. Hardback Volume. 68-9.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #87830 ]
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV114190Related to: Chagford Gasworks (Monument)
MDV80542Related to: Chagford leat (Monument)
MDV21305Related to: Chagford Woollen Mill (Higher Factory) (Building)
MDV21306Related to: Chagford Woollen Mill (Lower Factory) (Building)
MDV93441Related to: Mill pond at fulling mill, Chagford (Monument)
MDV33261Related to: Moorlands Hotel (the old Town Mill), Chagford (Building)
MDV102807Related to: Weir at Pond Cottage, Chagford (Monument)
MDV102809Related to: Weir at Pond Cottage, Chagford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 1 2016 4:06PM