HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3332
Name:Leat 1 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Summary

Leat 1 running from the River Plym to supply the stamping mills forming part of the 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Location

Grid Reference:SX 594 677
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSheepstor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHEEPSTOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/27/2
  • Old SAM Ref: 34467 (PART)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LEAT (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Cook, R. M. L., 1974, Eylesbarrow (1814- 1852): A Study of a Dartmoor Tin Mine, 178-9 (Article in Serial). SDV231127.


Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1985, Aerial Photograph Project (Interpretation). SDV319854.

Eylesbarrow. Traceable leats brought water from the River Plym and the Langcombe Brook to the mine. Narrow hillside reservoir beside the main Sheepstor-Eylesbarrow track was fed by the Langcombe Leat. Three miles of leat were dug in circa 1816. All the machinery at the mine was water-operated. Not visible on 1946 verticals.


Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset., MPP 157182 (Report - Survey). SDV277946.

Leat 630m south-west of Eylesbarrow, forming part of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. At end near the engine wheel this leat measures 0.9 metres wide by 0.3 metres deep. Bracken and grass covered (9/5/2002)


Newman, P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 105-148 (Article in Serial). SDV231130.

Of the Eylesbarrow Mine leats the stamping mill leat to the west was probably constructed before 1804 and extended in 1814. A second leat to the east was constructed between 1814-16 and served the 3 upper stamping mills and the engine wheel 1 and extended for 2.1 kilometres from the River Plym at the foot of Crane Lake at SX60876826 to the reservoir at SX59706795. Parts of the leats are shown on the 1:2500 survey.
Map object based on this source.


Newman , P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 35, Figure 2, Appendix 3 (Report - Survey). SDV352201.

Water supplies diverted from the River Plym and its tributaries as well as seasonal sources had long been used in the upper Plym valley at streamworks, openworks and tin mills prior to the 19th century episode of tin mining. Of the Eylesbarrow Tin Mine leats the stamping mill leat (L1) was probably constructed before 1814. It runs from the River Plym at Grid Reference SX60586778 and follows the contours of Drizzlecombe Hill to Supply Stamping Mills 4, 5 and 6 as well as the Smelting House. In 1847 it was extended for a further 580 metres to the north to supply the 50 foot waterwheel at Engine Wheelpit 2.


Whitbourne, A., 2001, Visit to Eylesbarrow Mine, 2-3 (Article in Serial). SDV231129.

The long reservoir held water to supply the leat which powered the wheels of the dressing floors below.


English Heritage, 2005, Leats Survey Information (Report - Survey). SDV347529.

Leat shown on survey.


GeoInformation Group Ltd, 2010, 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution) (Aerial Photograph). SDV346026.

Line of leat visible on aerial photograph.


English Heritage, 2013, Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains (Schedule Document). SDV231131.

The 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine opened in 1814 and continued until 1852. During this time several companies were formed to run the mine and most failed to make a profit. Eylesbarrow's importance stems from its unrivalled array of 19th century mining remains making it the largest and most informative example of a large scale water powered tin mine in Britain. At least 27 shafts and five adits were cut to reach the tin lodes, seven whim platforms and two water powered engine wheels were built to power the lifting and pumping machinery, a series of tramways were made to carry the ore to six separate stamping mills and, to complete the picture, a smelting house was constructed to smelt the processed tin from the stamping mills. The size of the operation is further emphasised by the large number of ancillary buildings constructed to serve the mine. Amongst these are a count house, dormitory accommodation, blacksmith's shop, powder houses, sample house and various storage buildings.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Parts of the least depicted on the modern mapping. Map object based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV231127Article in Serial: Cook, R. M. L.. 1974. Eylesbarrow (1814- 1852): A Study of a Dartmoor Tin Mine. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 106. Paperback Volume. 178-9.
SDV231129Article in Serial: Whitbourne, A.. 2001. Visit to Eylesbarrow Mine. Dartmoor Tin Working Research Group Newsletter. 22. Unknown. 2-3.
SDV231130Article in Serial: Newman, P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 57. Paperback Volume. 105-148.
SDV231131Schedule Document: English Heritage. 2013. Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains. The Schedule of Monuments. Website.
SDV277946Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. MPP 157182.
SDV319854Interpretation: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1985. Aerial Photograph Project. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Aerial Photograph P. Cartographic.
SDV346026Aerial Photograph: GeoInformation Group Ltd. 2010. 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution). 2010 Aerial Photographs. Digital.
SDV347529Report - Survey: English Heritage. 2005. Leats Survey Information. English Heritage. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV352201Report - Survey: Newman , P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. English Heritage Survey Report. A4 Spiral Bound. 35, Figure 2, Appendix 3.

Associated Monuments

MDV3577Related to: Engine Wheelpit 2 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3330Related to: Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV64713Related to: Leat Serving the Southern part of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV4010Related to: Smelting House at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3580Related to: Stamping Mill Number 3 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3581Related to: Stamping Mill Number 4 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3327Related to: Stamping Mill Number 5 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3582Related to: Stamping Mill Number 6 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4966 - Survey of Drizzlecombe, Eylesbarrow, Ditsworthy and Hartor
  • EDV6239 - Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine
  • EDV7382 - Condition Survey of the Cramber Tor Training Area

Date Last Edited:Mar 21 2014 3:01PM