HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV33343
Name:Office at Yeo Farm, Chagford

Summary

Small, single storeyed one room building

Location

Grid Reference:SX 678 865
Map Sheet:SX68NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChagford
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCHAGFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX68NE/34/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 94623

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BUILDING (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2011 AD (Between))

Full description

Griffiths, D., 10/01/1989, Yeo Farm, Chagford, 9 (Report - Interim). SDV351692.

Small, single storeyed, one roomed building located in the front garden about four feet from the right hand end of the house. The original architect drawing, dated 1873 and signed by James Crocker survives. Two high desks


Laithwaite, J. M. W., 1988, Yeo Farm, Chagford, 9 (Un-published). SDV226613.

Small, single storeyed one room office building thought to have functioned as the mill office. Original architect’s drawings, dated 1873 are in the possession of the owner. The walls are of trapezoidal granite rubble blocks, laid carefully for effect with mixed gothic and classical details in dressed granite. The windows have chamfered, mullioned and transomed window frames. The slated roof (now tarred) has perforated crested red ridge tiles and there is a granite chimney with moulded cap on the right gable. The left gable-end originally had elaborate, projecting openwork timber framed decoration, according to the drawings. The interior is simple and retains two desks designed by the architect, James Crocker for the office.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Farm office and front garden walls. Late 19th century. The office and its furniture by Crocker of Exeter. Office of granite stone rubble with granite ashlar dressings and slate roof with crested ridge tiles. Garden walls of granite with cast iron railings and gates.
Plan: Small 1-room plan office with gable end front facing south-south-east, say south, and with rear end stack. From rear right corner a low rubble garden wall extends eastwards curving round to return across front where it includes a mounting block over a goose pen or dog kennel. The rest of the garden is enclosed by iron- railed walls and another similar wall runs alongside the path from the front gate to the front door of the farmhouse.
Description: The office is a small gable-ended block. The front contains a doorway flanked by narrow lancet-like windows. The doorway is shoulder headed, the corbels supporting a low segmental arch of neatly-shaped voussoirs with a projecting and fluted keystone. The corbels and springing blocks have circular depressions. The doorway contains a replacement panelled door. The windows (including a larger one on the right side) have similarly-shaped heads and contain narrow mullioned and transomed windows. The front gable has lost its original bargeboards and scissor- braced struts. The granite ashlar chimney shaft has soffit-moulded coping and there is some dog tooth like enrichment around its base.
The office still contains its original purpose-built office furniture including two desks. The wall attached to the office and along the northern side of the garden is rubble built with rounded coping. The mounting block steps are inside the garden. The top is a large slab of granite covering a space below which once had a door and is therefore thought to have been a goose pen or dog kennel. The rest of the garden walls are cast iron spear-headed railings. They are taller alongside the cobbled path ramping down along the front of the garden. The gates are in similar style. The farm office and contemporary railings are very pretty but more than that they form part of an important and well-preserved group of listed buildings which include the farmhouse (q.v.), mill (q.v.), smithy and cartshed (q.v.), barn (q.v.) and the old Old School House (q.v.). The original architects plans for the office and its furniture are in the possession of the owners. The office documents were removed to the Devon Record Office in 1986. The Perryman family have lived on the site since circa 1450. Other details: LB UID: 94623.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV226613Un-published: Laithwaite, J. M. W.. 1988. Yeo Farm, Chagford. A4 Comb Bound. 9.
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #87856 ]
SDV351692Report - Interim: Griffiths, D.. 10/01/1989. Yeo Farm, Chagford. Dartmoor National Park Authority. A4 Stapled. 9.

Associated Monuments

MDV49493Part of: Yeo Farmstead, Chagford (Monument)
MDV104624Related to: Front Garden Walls of Yeo Farm, Chagford (Monument)
MDV33344Related to: The Stable, Yeo Farm, Chagford (Building)
MDV19339Related to: Yeo Farmhouse, Chagford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 30 2013 4:13PM