HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV33346
Name:Cart Shed at Yeo Farm, Chagford

Summary

Open-fronted cart or machine shed on the northern side of the farmyard at Yeo, Chagford. It probably dates to the 19th century and may have been used as a wheelwright's workshop, although there is no concrete documentary evidence to confirm this.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 678 865
Map Sheet:SX68NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChagford
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCHAGFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX68NE/34/5
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 94626

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CART SHED (Built, XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Griffiths, D., 10/01/1989, Yeo Farm, Chagford, 14-15 (Report - Interim). SDV351692.

Abuttting the smithy on the right is what seems to have been a cartshed or machine shed. It formerly extended to and was fixed into the rear wall of the stable and is a curious improvised structure.


Laithwaite, J. M. W., 1988, Yeo Farm, Chagford, 14-15 (Un-published). SDV226613.

The present owners observed a circular soil mark in the middle bay and suggest a wheelwright may have worked here. An 1873 farm ledger notes receipt of payment for binding cart wheels. This building, which is probably 19th century in date, abuts the smithy on the right and has always been open at the front.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

(Listing description: December 1986) Smithy and cartshed. Probably 18th centruy, the smithy earlier than the cartshed, both thoroughly refurbished in mid-late 19th century. Smithy is granite stone rubble with corrugated iron roof; cartshed is timber framed with slate roof.
Plan: Smithy and adjoining cartshed on slightly different axises but both are basically facing south. They fill a space between two earlier buildings, the Old School House to left and the barn to right. The smithy is a single storey single cell building to the left (west) with a doorway in the right end. The 4-bay cartshed is to right (east).
Exterior: The front of the smithy contains a single late 19th-early 20th century fixed pane window high in the wall and right of centre. Contemporary plank door in right end and rear has two window apertures (the windows are now missing). The cartshed is open- fronted both ends. The roof was originally supported on timber posts but the lower sections of most of the posts have since been replaced by granite posts. Roof steps up from smithy to cartshed.
Interior: Smithy still contains 19th century granite furnace with a granite trough. All the apertures here have external granite and internal timber lintels. Roof of 19th century A- frame trusses. Cartshed roof also of 19th century A-frame trusses but some of the timbers (maybe reused) are probably 18th century. The smithy and cartshed form part of a group of attractive and important farm and mill buildings at Yeo which include the farmhouse, the mill, office and garden railings, the Old School House and barn. In the 19th century the road was diverted south of the farm and therefore these buildings once fronted onto the road. The farm has been in the hands of the Perryman family since circa 1450. Other details: LB UID: 94626.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV226613Un-published: Laithwaite, J. M. W.. 1988. Yeo Farm, Chagford. A4 Comb Bound. 14-15.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #87859 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV351692Report - Interim: Griffiths, D.. 10/01/1989. Yeo Farm, Chagford. Dartmoor National Park Authority. A4 Stapled. 14-15.

Associated Monuments

MDV49493Part of: Yeo Farmstead, Chagford (Monument)
MDV33345Related to: Blacksmith's workshop at Yeo Farm, Chagford (Building)
MDV33268Related to: Cottage or Kitchen at Yeo Farm, Chagford (Building)
MDV33344Related to: The Stable, Yeo Farm, Chagford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 16 2018 3:41PM