HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV33419
Name:Stables and coach house at Castle Drogo

Summary

Stables and Coach House garages approximately 100 meters north of Castle Drogo, dating to around 1930, probably built by Luytens. Brick walls faced with coursed blocks of granite ashlar; brick stacks with granite ashlar chimney shafts; slate roofs.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 722 901
Map Sheet:SX79SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDrewsteignton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishDREWSTEIGNTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX79SW/30/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 94822

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • STABLE (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

(Listing description 1988) Stables and Coach House garages approximately l00 meters north of Castle Drogo. Circa 1930, probably by Luytens. Brick walls faced with coursed blocks of granite ashlar; brick stacks with granite ashlar chimney shafts; slate roofs.
Plan and exterior description: three ranges around a courtyard open to the north-north- west, say north. The long range backs onto the forecourt of Castle Drogo to the south. This range is broken through by a carriageway which divides the stables and coach houses into two asymmetrical L-shaped blocks. All the blocks face into the courtyard. The largest is the coach house garages in which the long (north-facing) block contains a regular row of five large plank doors with large strap hinges. Short crosswing to west is a 2-room plan workshop with axial stack which has a doorway to left with a clock above like a half dormer with hipped roof. To right a timber casement containing rectangular panes of leaded glass. The stable wing contains a 2-room plan groom’s cottage on the corner with axial stack. The crosswing here has four stables each with a plank stable door and overlight like a half dormer with hipped roof. All the roofs are gable-ended. Interiors: are largely original and though plain built to a high standard. The coach house and stables/garages are part of the original scheme of Castle Drogo. Other details: LB UID: 94822.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #87890 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV32487Part of: Castle Drogo estate and gardens, Drewsteignton (Park/Garden)
MDV8470Related to: Castle Drogo, Drewsteignton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 2 2011 2:30PM