HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV33454
Name:Andrews Cottage, Belstone

Summary

Probable former longhouse with shippon to the north, which is built at an angle to the house. No cross-passage but this may have been lost in a major re-building of the dwelling end of the building in the late 17th/early 18th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 620 936
Map Sheet:SX69SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBelstone
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBELSTONE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX69SW/258
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 94815

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Early Medieval to XXI - 1066 AD to 2011 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments, Belstone 223 (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Tithe Map shows the dwelling; plot 223: 'House'. Rectangular structure, aligned broadly south-west by north-east.


Brown, S., 2011, Archaeological appraisal of Andrews Cottage, Belstone, 5 (Report - Assessment). SDV347485.

This building does not follow the standard layout for a Dartmoor longhouse and alternative possibilities for the current arrangement of the structure are proposed. It is thought most likely that the building was originally built as a longhouse however, rather than a cottage to which a small shippon was added.
Appraisal carried out in advance of a planning application to convert the shippon end for use as a dwelling. It is currently in use as a storeroom, but has previously been used as a garage.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

House, former farmhouse (possibly a former Dartmoor longhouse). Mid or late 17th century, possibly earlier origins, modernised circa 1980. Granite stone rubble on boulder footings, large roughly-dressed granite quoins, and some plastered cob along the wall tops; granite stack with plastered brick top; thatch roof. Plan and development: This may have originated as a 3-room-and-through-passage plan Dartmoor longhouse built on a flat site facing south-east. If so the passage front doorway has been removed. The shippon at the right (north-eastern) end is now used as a garage. The putative hall has an axial stack backing onto the site of the passage. There is now no internal access between hall and lower end. Now a front door leads directly into the unheated inner room which also contains a straight flight stair. This is a difficult house to interpret. It could easily have been a Dartmoor longhouse in which case it probably developed from an open hall house. Alternatively there is some evidence (but inconclusive) that the shippon end was added to a 2-room plan house. Two storeys.
Exterior: The house part to left (the putative hall and inner room) have an irregular 2-window front of 20th century casements with glazing bars, the upper ones with thatch eyebrows over. The front door, in the middle of this section, is also 20th century and part-glazed. The right end (shippon) section is blind and shows no obvious evidence of a blocked front passage doorway. The roof is half-hipped to left and gable-ended to right. 20th century garage door in the right end wall. The rear wall has similar 20th century casements to the front. Here there is a doorway in the position of the rear passage doorway. There is a hayloft loading hatch directly above and to left of it a slit window to the shippon.
Interior: has plain carpentry detail and the hall fireplace is granite ashlar but plain. The roof, including that over the shippon, is made up of A-frame trusses with pegged and spiked lap-jointed collars. Other details: LB UID: 94815.


Bampton, J., 2015, Archaeological Monitoring during window changes and addition of rear garden room in the Shippon at Andrews Cottage (Report - Watching Brief). SDV359776.

No significant archaeological features or remains were found during the groundworks in the shippon. Window changes were also monitored.


Walpole, C., 2017, A Village Rector Remembers. Belstone between 1906 and 1927 Part Three, Pg 28 (Article in Serial). SDV360890.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #87921 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV347485Report - Assessment: Brown, S.. 2011. Archaeological appraisal of Andrews Cottage, Belstone. Stewart Brown Associates Report. A4 Comb Bound. 5.
SDV359776Report - Watching Brief: Bampton, J.. 2015. Archaeological Monitoring during window changes and addition of rear garden room in the Shippon at Andrews Cottage. Southwest Archaeology. BAN15. Digital.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital. Belstone 223.
SDV360890Article in Serial: Walpole, C.. 2017. A Village Rector Remembers. Belstone between 1906 and 1927 Part Three. Dartmoor Magazine. Digital. Pg 28.

Associated Monuments

MDV33453Related to: Dagworthy Cottage and front garden walls, Belstone (Building)
MDV121165Related to: Outbuilding next to Tamarisk Cottage, Belstone (Building)
MDV33452Related to: Tamarisk Cottage, Belstone (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5131 - Appraisal of Andrews Cottage, Belstone
  • EDV7069 - Archaeological Monitoring during window changes and addition of rear garden room in the Shippon at Andrews Cottage (Ref: BAN15)

Date Last Edited:Feb 27 2018 4:21PM