HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV33546
Name:Linhays adjoining south-west of West Week farmhouse, South Tawton

Summary

Linhays. Late c17 - early c18. Granite stone rubble with some cob; corrugated iron roof.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 656 925
Map Sheet:SX69SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Tawton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH TAWTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX69SE/14/3
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LINHAY (XVII to XVIII - 1675 AD to 1735 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV239413.

Doe/hhr:south tawton/(4/3/1988)128.
Linhays adjoining sw of west week farmhouse. Linhays. Late c17 - early c18. Granite stone rubble with some cob; corrugated iron roof. Plan and description: l-shaped block of linhays facing onto a farm courtyard at the lower (southern) end of west week farmhouse (qv). The northern side is formed by the shippon end of the farmhouse. The western and southern sides are lined by these linhays facing into the courtyard. The western wing is 5 bays with a central full height carriageway bay. The southern side is 9 bays the left 3 bays breaking forward from the rest. The whole lot is of similar construction. They were originally open-fronted. Monolithic granite posts carry the roughly-finished crossbeams and set, into the top of each crossbeam, are oak posts rising through the tallet, (alcock's linhay type s2). These posts have curving heads lap-jointed onto the bases of a-frame trusses with lap-jointed collars. All these lap joints are well-pegged but large blacksmith made iron nails are included (they may be secondary). The roofs, where they do not abut others, are hipped. Probably in the c19 the lower (cow byre) sections were blocked with granite stone rubble (doe).


Cox, J. + Thorp, J. R. L., 2007, The Linhays at West Wyke, South Tawton (Report - Assessment). SDV348291.

The two linhays to the south of West Wyke farmhouse were originally constructed of local rubblestone up to loft level with cob above in the late 17th or early 18th century. The rear wall of the west range is of stone rubble with a substantial level of cob on the wall tops of the northern three and a half bays. The A-frame roofs are covered in corrugated iron which probably replaces the original thatch. The roof incorporates the coupled principals from two earlier roof trusses.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV239413Migrated Record:
SDV348291Report - Assessment: Cox, J. + Thorp, J. R. L.. 2007. The Linhays at West Wyke, South Tawton. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K700/2. A4 Spiral Bound.

Associated Monuments

MDV109791Part of: West Wyke farm, South Tawton (Monument)
MDV33548Related to: Barn south-east of West Wyke Farmhouse, South Tawton (Building)
MDV6954Related to: West Wyke Farmhouse, South Tawton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5672 - Assessment of Linhays south of West Wyke

Date Last Edited:Feb 13 2015 12:32PM