HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV33669
Name:Bush Farmhouse

Summary

Former farmhouse, possibly with 15th or 16th century origins, but the earliest datable fabric is early to mid 17th century. A kitchen wing was added to the rear in the mid to late 17th century, and major refurbishment took place in the late 17th or early 18th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 698 968
Map Sheet:SX69NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSpreyton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSPREYTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX69NE/56
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 95088

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XV to XVIII - 1401 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1988, Spreyton, 214 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV350986.

House, former farmhouse. The plan suggests C15 or C16 origins but the earliest datable fabric is early-mid C17, kitchen wing added in mid-late C17, major late C17- early C18 refurbishment, modernised in the early C19 and again circa 1920, this last one including Queen Anne style joinery detail by Dart and Francis. Plastered cob on stone rubble footings, cob stacks topped with C19 brick; thatch roof. Plan and development: T-plan building. The main block faces south-west and it has a 3-room-and-through-passage plan. The inner room at the left (north-west) end has a gable-end stack. Large hall has an axial stack backing onto the passage and the service end room at the right end has a gable-end stack. Former 2-room plan kitchen block projecting at right angles to rear of the hall, the second room with a large gable-end kitchen block. The main block was reroofed and refurbished in the late C17-early C18 and therefore there is no evidence of the historic development of the house. The earliest features are in the hall and they are early-mid C17. The kitchen block is wholy mid-late C17. The house was rearranged a little in the early C19. At this time the former service end room was rebuilt as a parlour and a service hall added behind. It was probably at this time that a main stair was built blocking the back of the- passage but this was rebuilt circa 1920. 2 storeys throughout. Exterior: regular but not symmetrical 5-window front of early C19 16-pane sashes. However a garden wall projecting forward divides the fenestration into a 2 and 3- window section. Then the right 3-window section is symmetrical about the passage front doorway which contains an early C19 6-panel door with panelled reveals and a flat-roofed Doric porch. Main roof is gable-ended. The rear block includes a couple of oak-mullioned casements containing rectangular panes of leaded glass at first floor level; these may be as early as the late C17. Eaves on the north-west side (to the rear courtyard) is carried down over a pent roof. Interior: early-mid C17 features in the hall, namely a stone rubble fireplace (partly relined with brick) and an oak lintel given an ovolo moulding and bar run- out stops, and the 2 crossbeams are soffit-chamfered and one has step stops. The mid-late C17 kitchen block has plain soffit-chamfered ceiling beams and the large fireplace has a soffit-chamfered and scroll-stopped oak lintel and contains a large blocked oven. The floor here is cobbled. Service end parlour has early C19 carpentry. Roof throughout of A-frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars but those of the main block are augmented with blacksmiths nails. Great deal of late C17 - early C18 and early C19 joinery detail throughout. A low granite stone rubble wall projects forward from the front. It has rounded granite ashlar coping and there is a stone mounting block on the outside. To left (south-west) of the house the garden is enclosed by a high plastered cob wall with thatched coping, much of it replaced by brick along the front. Bush House is attractive and also forms a group with its courtyard of thatched farmbuildings.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #88048 ]
SDV350986List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Spreyton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 214.

Associated Monuments

MDV94215Part of: Bush Farm, Spreyton (Monument)
MDV33672Related to: Barn, Bush House (Building)
MDV33671Related to: Former Linhay, Bush House (Building)
MDV94214Related to: Garden Walls, Bush House (Building)
MDV33670Related to: Stables, Bush Farmhouse (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 18 2013 10:16AM