HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV33698
Name:Week Farmhouse

Summary

Farmhouse, 16th century origins, 17th and early 18th century improvements, modernised and rearranged in the mid-late 19th century. Originally a three-room-and-through-passage plan house, extended to four rooms in the 18th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 708 975
Map Sheet:SX79NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSpreyton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSPREYTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX79NW/25
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 95069

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVI to XIX - 1501 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1988, Spreyton, 199 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV350986.

Farmhouse. C16 origins, C17 and early C18 improvements, modernised and rearranged in the mid-late C19. Plastered cob on stone rubble footings; stone rubble stacks with plastered brick tops, the hall one maybe with a granite ashlar chimneyshaft; slate roof, formerly thatch. Plan and development: originally a 3-room-and-through-passage plan house, extended to 4 rooms in the C18, facing south. At the left (west) end is a parlour with a gable-end stack. This is the fourth room added on the end of the small inner room parlour. Hall has an axial stack backing onto the former passage and at the right (east) end is a service end kitchen with a projecting gable-end stack. In the C19 the kitchen was refurbished and the lower passage screen was removed. At the same time a passage was inserted through the upper end of the hall to new stair turret projecting to rear. The original house was an open hall house heated by an open hearth fire. The hall fireplace was probably inserted in the late C16 and the house progressively floored over in the late C16 and C17. Nevertheless the present house is mostly the result of major early C18 and mid-late C19 refurbishments. It is 2 storeys. Exterior: irregular 5-window front of C20 casements with glazing bars. The original passage front doorway is towards the right end. The new main front doorway is roughly central. Both contain mid - late C19 plank doors, the latter behind a C20 gabled porch. The roof is gable-ended. Interior: the kitchen appears to be a complete C19 rebuild with crossbeams and brick-lined fireplace of that date. The hall fireplace is blocked although its large size is evident and the fireplace and its oak lintel are intact according to the owner. The crossbeam is soffit-chamfered with runout stops. The rear wall contains an attractive C18 cupboard with curving back, shaped shelves and a fielded nowy-headed door. At the upper end of the hall (now beyond the C19 passage) is a C16 oak plank-and-muntin screen and this was moved a short distance into the inner room circa 1980. No carpentry detail is exposed in the former dairy or parlour and the parlour fireplace is blocked by a C20 grate. C19 stick baluster main stair. Most of the roof is early C18 and carried on A-frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars. The roof over the hall however is earlier and includes an early C16 face- pegged jointed cruck truss which is smoke-blackened from the open hearth fire.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #88071 ]
SDV350986List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Spreyton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 199.

Associated Monuments

MDV94207Part of: Week (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 14 2013 12:06PM