HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV337
Name:Newton Barton and South Barton, Newton Tracey


16th century former manor house, with probably earlier origins, remodelled and extended in late 16th/early 17th century. May incorporate, or occupy site of a Domesday manor house.


Grid Reference:SS 528 268
Map Sheet:SS52NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHorwood, Lovacott and Newton Tracey
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishNEWTON TRACEY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS52NW/9
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 436769

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (XVI - 1501 AD to 1600 AD (Between))

Full description

Reichel, O. J., 1928 - 1938, The Hundred of Fremington in Early Times, 498, 502, 513, 518 (Article in Monograph). SDV20648.

The manor of newton tracey was Newentona in Domesday. Walter Borgoin held it of Goscelm. Before the conquest it was held by Elward. It is recorded in Domesday that "from this manor Colswen, one of the Bishop of Coutances men, is appropriating the common pasture which belonged to the township in King Edward's time, which Goscelm held undisturbed for five years after King William obtained England". Early descents of the manor are given.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1953, SS52NW7 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV70321.

Still in use as a farmhouse. Stone built and faced in concrete. The only visible dateable feature is an ashlar window of three lights of tudor date in the east wall of the house. Other details: Photo.

Oliver, M. F. C., 1954, Notes on Newton Tracey and the Forgotten Burial Ground, 161-162 (Article in Serial). SDV70320.

Newton Barton. Manor house recorded in Domesday. The old manor house at Newton Tracey was situated very near the church. There are vestiges of its former stateliness left in the present Newton Barton. A coat of arms and the remains of a frieze date from the late 16th century. In a wing there is a fine Tudor window in stone, with flat pointed heads and a small tudor door. There is an early Georgian door hood over the entry:to the house. The kitchen still has its fine old oak door. Other details: plate 17.

Department of Environment, 1960, Barnstaple RD, 39 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337219.

Same details as Oliver except for mention of beams in kitchen.

Alcock, N. W., 1981, Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue, 113 (Report - non-specific). SDV342504.

Laithwaite records possible cruck construction.

Weddell, P. J., 1986, Untitled Source (Personal Comment). SDV70325.

Range of buildings immediately west of the churchyard recently demolished and new houses built on the site.

Department of Environment, 1987, Newton Tracey, 29 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV63462.

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Freeman, J., 2014, Minor Amendment to Listed Building Entry 1253539 (Correspondence). SDV356820.

Address of Listed Building Entry 1253539 amended to Newton Barton and South Newton, Newton Tracey (from Newton Barton only). The description has also been amended to correct the crest to that of Bellew (from Audley).

English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Former manor house. C16 with probably earlier origins, remodelled and extended in late C16/early C17. Painted rendered stone and cob. Asbestos slate roof with gable ends. Lateral front hall stack with brick shafts and offsets. Brick stack at right end and to gable end of front wing. Lateral rear brick stack enclosed in outshut heating parlour. 3-room and through-passage plan, the through-passage later converted to lobby entry. The parlour end also appears to have been entirely rebuilt in the late C16 or early C17 when a short front wing was added to it. 2 storeyed dairy extension to rear of hall, probably C17 but largely rebuilt in C20. 2 storeys 4-window range. Two 2-light casements at right end, 6 panes per light above three 2-light casements, 3 panes per light and two 2-light casements 2 panes per light to right. Plank door to lobby entry with C18 timber canopy supported on moulded timber brackets. To left of hall stack is a C19 3-light casement 3 panes per light above a stone cavetto mullion window of three 4-centred arched lights. Parlour end has a C17 2-light ovolo mullion window, above similar window of 4 lights, 2 panes per light. Left gable end has asymmetrical fenestration of variously paned sashes. Interior: inner room has decorative plasterwork cornice on 2 walls with trailing foliated decoration and incorporating central achievement said to be Bellew crest, with shield, helm and crest of slender arm grasping a chalice pouring water into a basin. Wide chamfered ceiling beam and run-out stops to each chamfered joist. Tudor 4-centred arched doorway with chamfered surround and plain spandrels. Hollow step-stopped chamfered ceiling beams and bressumers to hall with a C17 stop-chamfered door surround to rear dairy extension and C18 joinery to large cupboard recess to left, probably inserted in former doorway to stair turret, which was moved probably at that date to the outshut to rear of parlour. Chamfered ceiling beams to room to right of lobby entry. Stop-chamfered door surrounds to principal chamber over hall and to chamber over C17 wing. Roof structure over hall and room to right of lobby entry appears to have been replaced in late C17 with 3 trusses with straight principals, lap-jointed collars and two tiers of threaded purlins and ridge purlin. Solid cob wall rises to apex between hall and parlour end, over which there is a single truss, set lower than the replacement trusses, with threaded purlins and ridge purlins and morticed and tenoned cranked collar, with a similar arrangement over the front-wing, the truss with short curved feet. No sign of smoke-blackening.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV20648Article in Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928 - 1938. The Hundred of Fremington in Early Times. The Hundreds of Devon. A5 Hardback. 498, 502, 513, 518.
SDV337219List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1960. Barnstaple RD. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 39.
SDV342504Report - non-specific: Alcock, N. W.. 1981. Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue. Council for British Archaeology Research Report. 42. Photocopy. 113.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #88072 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV356820Correspondence: Freeman, J.. 2014. Minor Amendment to Listed Building Entry 1253539. Email regardinging Notification of a Minor Amendment. Digital.
SDV63462List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Newton Tracey. Historic Houses Register. 29.
SDV70320Article in Serial: Oliver, M. F. C.. 1954. Notes on Newton Tracey and the Forgotten Burial Ground. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 86. 161-162.
SDV70321Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1953. SS52NW7.
SDV70325Personal Comment: Weddell, P. J.. 1986.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jul 1 2014 2:56PM