HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV34278
Name:Building at Bagtor Mine also known as Crownley Parks, Ilsington


Small building at southern end of Bagtor Mine which was also known as Crownley Parks


Grid Reference:SX 767 758
Map Sheet:SX77NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishIlsington
Ecclesiastical ParishILSINGTON

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Earthworks and stone walls of a Bronze age parallel reave system on Haytor Down with a number of hut circle settlements, enclosures and prehistoric cairns, plus 19th century Bagtor Tin Mine

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77NE/197
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BUILDING (XVIII to XX - 1701 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Everett, C., 1988, Haytor Down - Summary of Archaeological Features (Report - Survey). SDV359684.

Small square building facing north east with doorway in north east corner. Two fireplaces, one on north east wall, one on south west wall. Possible drying room for mineworkers. Small window in north west gable end. North west and north east walls are best preserved. South east wall stands to 0.5 meters and south west wall to 0.6 meters south of fireplace and chimney. Both the places well preserved with hearths in situ.

Griffiths, D., 1989, Site visit to Crownley Parks Mine (Worksheet). SDV344873.

Square, granite rubble building which may have been a miners drying room. Small, single storey structure measuring 6 by 6 meters internally, with one door and two fireplaces with stacks. Likely to date to the later part of the 19th century, as the mine opened in 1851. A large ash has fallen and demolished the south western wall of the structure.

Newman, P., 2002, Haytor Down, Ilsington, Devon, 17, Figures 7 & 8 (Report - Survey). SDV346395.

Well -preserved ruined building with a chimney to full height is traditionally known as the 'Blacksmith's Shop' though its function may not be determined on current visible evidence.

Royal Commission for the Historical Monuments of England, 2002, Haytor Down: The Archaeology (Plan - measured). SDV359685.

Small square building shown on survey.

Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Small square building shown on modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV344873Worksheet: Griffiths, D.. 1989. Site visit to Crownley Parks Mine. Worksheet. Digital.
SDV346395Report - Survey: Newman, P.. 2002. Haytor Down, Ilsington, Devon. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Report. A1/2/1999. A4 Spiral Bound. 17, Figures 7 & 8.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #88255 ]
SDV359684Report - Survey: Everett, C.. 1988. Haytor Down - Summary of Archaeological Features.
SDV359685Plan - measured: Royal Commission for the Historical Monuments of England. 2002. Haytor Down: The Archaeology. A1 Folded.

Associated Monuments

MDV8082Part of: Bagtor Mine and Tin Streamworks, Ilsington (Monument)
MDV66235Related to: Stamping Mill at Bagtor Mine also known as Crownley Parks, Ilsington (Monument)
MDV103744Related to: Tramway at Bagtor Mine, ilsington (Monument)
MDV103743Related to: Winding House at Bagtor Mine also known as Crownley Parks, Ilsington (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7021 - Haytor Down: Survey Report (Ref: A1/2/1999)

Date Last Edited:Sep 23 2016 4:02PM