HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV34297
Name:Former longhouse at Canna, Manaton

Summary

Former longhouse at Canna. Now used as a barn. Probably 16th century with alterations circa late 17th century and further considerable changes when house degenerated to farm building, probably 18th / 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 732 813
Map Sheet:SX78SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishManaton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishMANATON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SW/202
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LONGHOUSE (Constructed, XV to XVII - 1500 AD to 1650 AD (Between))
  • BARN (Constructed, XVII to XIX - 1700 AD to 1899 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1987, Manaton, 3 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV303187.

Former longhouse at Canna. Now used as a barn. Probably 16th century with alterations circa late 17th century and further considerable changes when house degenerated to farm building, probably 18th / 19th century. Granite rubble walls with rough quoins; the front walls have been built up slightly under the eaves with cob. Formerly 2 storeys, now partially single-storeyed.
Interior is much altered and some early features remain. Former plan form is discernible.
Roof probably renewed in 18th century. Roof structural features. See List for full details.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

MANATON SX 78 SW 4/4 Former longhouse at Canna - GV II
Former longhouse now used as barn. Probably C16 with alterations circa late C17 and further considerable changes when house degenerated to farm building, probably C18/C19. Granite rubble walls with rough quoins; at the front the walls have been built up slightly under the eaves with cob. Corrugated iron roof half-hipped at either end.
Originally followed longhouse plan of shippon at lower end with adjoining through passage then small hall with fireplace backing onto passage and very small inner room. In circa late C17 the shippon was converted into domestic accommodation of a relatively high standard judging from the chamfered and stopped beams and joists which survive here. The room arrangement has since changed further; the passage was widened and a stone wall built up so that it now takes up part of the former shippon. The hall and inner room have both lost their ceilings and the partition between them has also disappeared. The evidence for the existence of an inner room is in the ledge part way up the gable end wall with 2 large stone projecting at intervals along it which were presumably to carry beams which would be running at right angles to the cross beam in the hall. Rear doorway of through passage has been blocked.
Formerly 2 storeys, now partially single-storeyed. On front is central probably original wide doorway to passage with rough hewn granite lintel. Narrower doorway to original shippon at left with loading doorway above. Both ground floor doors are C19/C20 plank. To right of centre is inserted double doorway with timber lintel. 2 small window openings to far right on ground and first floor. To rear face is wide inserted opening at right of centre on ground floor with large roughly squared granite lintel. Small opening above and larger first floor opening to left. To right of doorway is blocked ventilation slit to shippon with granite framing. Remains of single storey cattle shelter with upright granite posts towards left end of building. At the front of the upper end a later linhay is attached to the house projecting from it at right angles.
Interior : much altered but some early features remain and former plan form is discernable. Axial granite framed fireplace to hall with large granite lintel and monolithic jambs all roughly chamfered, stops worn away. Granite relieving arch above lintel, which has now cracked. Blocked oven opening at left hand side with arched granite framed opening. Bulge in wall to left of fireplace, presumably to accommodate oven. Stone wall beside fireplace extending to rear wall of hall with blocked doorway to passage which has slightly cambered wooden lintel and jamb of dressed granite blocks to the right. 1 cross beam in hall possibly re-used since it comes only slightly in front of the fireplace and does not fully span the width of the room. It is chamfered on both sides, the stops indiscernable, and has mortices for joists on both sides. There are 2 blocked openings on the rear wall, the one to the left shows 2 stages of blocking with 2 wooden lintels one above the other. The blocked opening to the right also has a wooden lintel. In the upper left hand corner of the former inner room, extending up to the height of the shelf from ground level is a small square stone projection. In the former through passage the chimney back is constructed of granite ashlar blocks. There are 2 cross beams and a half beam which is at the back of the chimney wall, is chamfered but cut off before it reaches the front wall. The central cross beam is chamfered with very worn stops. The beam at the lower end is now embedded in a stone wall which has been inserted beneath it, it is chamfered with worn stops. All 3 beams rest on corbel-stones at rear wall. Blocked doorway to hall visible. Blocked rear doorway to passage also discernible. 2 cross beams in lower room (to which there is no access from passage), lower one is C20. The other one is identical to beams in passage with hollow elongated step stop discernible. Between this beam and the one embedded in the partition wall to the passage all except 2 of the original joists survives, of relatively small dimensions, chamfered and stopped like the beams. Probably later C17. In the gable end wall of the lower room is a blocked window opening with wooden lintel and splayed sides which still retain their old plaster. On the rear wall is a small blocked opening for the ventilation slit.
The older roof trusses which survive consist of straight principal rafters morticed and pegged at the apex and straight collars which are halved and pegged onto the trusses. No sign of purlins having been trenched or threaded. 1 truss cuts across the now partly dismantled chimney stack. Roof probably renewed in C18.
Listing NGR: SX7328081373

Sources / Further Reading

SDV303187List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Manaton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 3.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #88274 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV77785Part of: Canna farm, Manaton (Monument)
MDV92686Related to: Barn and linhay north-east of former longhouse at Canna, Manaton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 14 2018 11:40AM