HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV34582
Name:Broomford Manor

Summary

A fairly simple but very complete and unaltered Victorian country house, built between 1871-1873. A rare Devon example by one of the major architects of the period.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 577 017
Map Sheet:SS50SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishJacobstowe
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishJACOBSTOWE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS50SE/18/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 93267

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COUNTRY HOUSE (XIX - 1871 AD to 1873 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV221987.

Nmr=ss50se9.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV221988.

Cherry, b. + pevsner, n. /buildings of england:devon/(1989)220.


Department of Environment, 1988, Jacobstowe, 83 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV356170.

Broomford Manor including service - yard immediately to north-west and stable yard immediately to north of of that. Country house. 1871-73 by George Devey, built for Col. Sir Robert White-Thompson. Walls built of small dressed rubble blocks. Many gabled tiled roof. Numerous tall brick shafts on stone bases. Plan: complex asymmetrical plan; entrance hall forms small wing, 2 principal rooms overlook the garden on the left-hand side facing the entrance is the dining room. To the right of which, facing the entrance is the dining room. To the right of the 2 principal rooms, behind the entrance hall is a large stairhall with a study to its right. The service rooms and a large kitchen are contained in wings to the rear and the right-nand end. The service yard is opposite the back kitchen and contains buildings such as game larder, boot hole, ash house, log house and laundry. Beyond that again, and connected to it, is the stable yard incorporating coach house. The house is built in Neo-Jacobean style. Exterior: 2 storeys with cellar and attic. Intentionally asymmetrical elevations with complete original fenestration of stone mullioned and transomed windows. The entrance front has a projecting Dutch gable to the left with large single storey gabled porch in front of it containing depressed 4-centred arch moulded stone doorway. To right of the projecting gable is a 5-light transomed mullion window on the ground floor and 3 and 2-light mullion windows above. The right-hand end of the front is lower and recessed with a 4-light mullion on the ground floor and 3- light mullion above. The garden front at the left-hand side of the house has a projecting gable to the right and a large 2 storey semi-circular bay to its left with projecting stone lateral stack beyond it . The rear elevation has a large projecting gable to the right with smaller shallow rectangular window projection on its face. A recessed gable to its left has 2 4-centred moulded stone doorways. To their left is a curving window projection connecting the main range to a service wing extending to the left. The right-hand elevation is very irregular with numerous gables, some in front of others. Interior: is not as elaborate as the exterior would suggest and contains a mixture of classical, gothic and Jacobean styles. The kitchen is of 2 storey height with exposed feet of trusses and large open fireplace. The dining room has a fireplace with Tudor arched stone lintel but classical wooden surround. Similar fireplaces in other principal rooms. The entrance hall has a fireplace with Jacobean style wooden overmantle. Simple staircase with turned balusters and square newels which have ball finials. The house was fitted with an early central heating system, the radiators of which survive behind ornate iron grilles in Gothic design. To include terrace and low pierced stone wall with arched openings and brick piers immediately to south-east of the house. Also very unaltered connecting service and stable yards to north-east of house. The service yard consists of mainly single storey buildings with a laundry building opposite the house reached by stone steps. The stable yard beyond it incorporates the back of the laundry with a coach house at right angles to it and the stable building projecting from it and still used as such. This is a fairly simple but very complete and unaltered Victorian country house, a rare Devon example by one of the major architects of the period.


Devon Gardens Trust, 2013, Devon Gazetteer of Parks and Gardens of Local Interest (Reg/Local list of Historic Parks and Gdns). SDV354335.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV221987Migrated Record:
SDV221988Migrated Record:
SDV354335Reg/Local list of Historic Parks and Gdns: Devon Gardens Trust. 2013. Devon Gazetteer of Parks and Gardens of Local Interest. Historic Parks and Gardens - Register and Local List. Digital.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #88361 ]
SDV356170List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Jacobstowe. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 83.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 5 2014 3:44PM