HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV35454
Name:Former Longhouse at Beetor Farm, North Bovey


Ruined longhouse described at time of listing (1987) as being in ruins at the higher end. Roofless except for the shippon and porch which are clad in corrugated iron. In 1944 the house was completely gutted by fire and abandoned.


Grid Reference:SX 710 844
Map Sheet:SX78SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishNorth Bovey
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTH BOVEY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SW/98/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LONGHOUSE (Constructed, XV to World War II - 1500 AD to 1944 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Shown on the Tithe Map.

Unknown, 1944, Newspaper article (Article in Serial). SDV363557.

Wednesday 01 November 1944. A fire at Beetor Farm completely gutted the farmhouse, which could not be saved. Water to fight the fire had to be brought from the Bovey Brook a quarter of a mile away. The fire did not spread to the farm outbuildings however. Article mentions how the farm was temporarily sheltering Plymouth evacuees.

Department of Environment, 1987, North Bovey (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV348844.

(04/02/1987) Former longhouse at Beetor Farm approximately 50m west of Beetor Farmhouse. Disused longhouse, the higher end in ruins. Probably 16th century with 17th and 18th century alterations and additions. Entirely built of granite; the original longhouse was built of granite ashlar, so is the higher side of the porch but the later additions and rear wall of the shippon are granite rubble. Roofless except for the shippon and porch which are clad in corrugated iron. The original plan was a longhouse with the shippon to the right and the hall and large inner room to the left. In circa 1946 the higher end of the house was gutted by fire and abandoned but the porch retains its original 17th century roof, while the shippon with its 20th century roof remains in use as a farm building. See doe list for full details.

Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Building still depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348844List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. North Bovey. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #88612 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV77045Related to: Beetor Farmstead, North Bovey (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Feb 14 2020 2:14PM