HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV35470
Name:Barn/stable block by Ring of Bells Inn, North Bovey

Summary

Former stable/barn, now extra bar for the inn. Probably 18th century. Lightly rendered granite rubble walls, thatched roof hipped to right, attached to cottage at left.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 740 838
Map Sheet:SX78SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishNorth Bovey
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTH BOVEY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SW/23/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 85178

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BARN (XVII to XVIII - 1700 AD to 1799 AD (Between))
  • STABLE (XVII to XVIII - 1700 AD to 1799 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Tithe Map shows a long, narrow service building at this location, running right up as far as the southern side of Chapel Cottage at the western end. Not shown to adjoin the inn at the eastern end. Plot is listed as 'Houses and yard' (1533).


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The late 19th century map appears to show the building adjoining both Chapel Cottage and the Inn.


Department of Environment, 1987, North Bovey, 173 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV348844.

Building immediately to west of Ring of Bells Inn. Former stable/barn, now extra bar for the inn. Probably 18th century. Lightly rendered granite rubble walls, thatched roof hipped to right, attached to cottage at left. Single room rectangular plan. Single storey originally with loft. Regular two window front with early 20th century three light casements with leaded panes either side of wide central door in gabled stone porch. Brick surrounds to window openings.
Cottage attached to left originally perhaps a further outbuilding. Interior bar contains heavy rough cross beams.


GetMapping, 2010, GetMapping 2010 aerial photographs (Aerial Photograph). SDV351585.

Thatched roof does not appear to be split as shown on the modern mapping.


Dartmoor National Park Authority, 2012, North Bovey Conservation Area Character Appraisal, 25 (Report - Assessment). SDV359513.

Building immediately west of Ring of Bells Inn. Part of a converted range of probably 18th century outbuildings to the side of the courtyard in front of the Ring of Bells Inn, and attached to the Inn by a single storey link. Before conversion in the 20th century, which was when the porch and windows were added, its granite façade was unpainted. Its eyebrow dormers, and those of the conversions adjacent, suggest the outbuildings were one-and-a-half storeys with lofts on the first floor.


Steinmetzer, M., 2014, Archaeological monitoring and recording at The Ring of Bells, North Bovey, Devon (Report - Watching Brief). SDV359808.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Modern mapping shows a split in the building but this may be inaccurate; aerial photograph shows joined thatched roofs.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

NORTH BOVEY NORTH BOVEY SX 78 SW 4/233 Building immediately to west of - Ring of Bells Inn - GV II
Former stable/barn, now extra bar for the inn. Probably C18. Lightly rendered granite rubble walls, thatched roof hipped to right, attached to cottage at left. Single room rectangular plan. Single storey originally- with loft. Regular 2- window front with early C20 3-light casements with leaded panes either side of wide central door in gabled stone porch. Brick surrounds to window openings. Cottage attached to left originally perhaps a further outbuilding. Interior: bar contains heavy rough cross beams. Included for group value.
Listing NGR: SX7407283907.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348844List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. North Bovey. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 173.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV351585Aerial Photograph: GetMapping. 2010. GetMapping 2010 aerial photographs. Getmapping. Photograph (Digital).
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #88628 ]
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV359513Report - Assessment: Dartmoor National Park Authority. 2012. North Bovey Conservation Area Character Appraisal. Dartmoor National Park Authority. Digital. 25.
SDV359808Report - Watching Brief: Steinmetzer, M.. 2014. Archaeological monitoring and recording at The Ring of Bells, North Bovey, Devon. Oakford Archaeology. OA1176. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV35516Related to: Chapel Cottage, North Bovey (Building)
MDV117042Related to: Former Methodist Chapel, North Bovey (Building)
MDV8745Related to: Ring of Bells Inn, North Bovey (Building)
MDV112269Related to: Site of old house, North Bovey (Monument)
MDV116830Related to: Wall fragments in courtyard at Ring of Bells, North Bovey (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7091 - Archaeological monitoring and recording at The Ring of Bells, North Bovey (Ref: OA1176)
  • EDV7542 - Observations during Repairs to The Ring of Bells Inn, North Bovey, Devon (Ref: K887)

Date Last Edited:Oct 21 2016 4:06PM