HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV35475
Name:Linhay north-west of Sanders in Lettaford

Summary

Linhay to the north-west of Sanders in Lettaford built in the late 18th or early 19th century

Location

Grid Reference:SX 701 840
Map Sheet:SX78SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishNorth Bovey
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTH BOVEY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SW/6/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 85154

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LINHAY (XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Building shown at 'Liddaford' on 19th century map.


Griffith, F. M., 1986, DAP/GW, 5-8 (Aerial Photograph). SDV253850.


Department of Environment, 1987, North Bovey, 159 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV348844.

Linhay adjoining the north-west corner of Sanders.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Building shown on modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Linhay adjoining north west corner of Sanders in Lettaford was Listed on 4th February 1987. Linhay, partly converted to cattle shed. Probably late 18th/early 19th century. Granite rubble walls with corrugated iron roof, gable ended. Two compartments, left-hand one is loose box. Originally had half tallet above. Now single storey. Right-hand section open-fronted at first floor level with single timber upright to right of centre and wide doorway on ground floor to right with monolithic granite jamb to left. Left-hand section projects forward has narrow, probably reduced, doorway to right with timber lintel. Internally the two parts are divided by a stone wall up to first floor height. Both parts have mangers, in the right-hand section they are at the rear with the remains of tethering posts in front. Forms part of an important group of farm buildings and early houses in a small moorland settlement on the fringe of Dartmoor. Other details: LBS Number 85154.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV253850Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1986. DAP/GW. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 5-8.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #88633 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV348844List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. North Bovey. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 159.

Associated Monuments

MDV77044Part of: Sanders Farmstead, Lettaford (Monument)
MDV35476Related to: Barn north of Sanders in Lettaford (Building)
MDV8722Related to: Sanders Farmhouse, Lettaford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 3 2012 11:38AM