HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV35584
Name:Riddon Farmhouse

Summary

Riddon farmhouse 16th and 17th century with late 20th century alterations. The building is L-shaped with the original longhouse projecting forwards at the right.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 675 763
Map Sheet:SX67NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX67NE/291
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LONGHOUSE (Built, XV to XVII - 1500 AD to 1699 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Riddon Farmhouse. C16 and C17 with late C20 alterations. Granite rubble walls partly rendered. Gable ended slate roof, corrugated sheeting to shippon. 2 rubble stacks, one axial to right-hand range, one lateral at rear of left-hand part. Plan: the right-hand range is the oldest and has simple longhouse plan of hall at higher end heated by axial stack with passage and shippon to its right. The passage has been absorbed into the shippon which remains unconverted to domestic use. In the C17 there was evidently a need for more accommodation but instead of building on a wing a separate building was erected only a few feet away from the original. This unusual arrangement may have been to accommodate different members or generations of the same family. The new building was heated by a rear lateral stack and was probably of 2-room plan originally. In the late C20 considerable modernisation took place and a linking section was built joining the 2 buildings. Exterior: 2 storeys. The building is now L-shaped with the original longhouse projecting forwards at the right, its house part now adjoins the C17 section but it has an outshut built against its inner face probably as a pigsty. At its higher end this outshut forms a porch to the door at the right end of the C17 range. This has a 4-window front of 2- and 3-light C20 casements. C20 part-glazed door to right. Interior: most early features are concealed apart from chamfered beams in C17 range. Completely reroofed in late C20.
Date: 1987
Listing NGR: SX6758876363

Sources / Further Reading

SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #88695 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 15 2018 12:03PM