HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3580
Name:Stamping Mill Number 3 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Summary

Stamping Mill Number 3 to the south of the Sheepstor-Nuns Cross track at the 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Location

Grid Reference:SX 593 677
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSheepstor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHEEPSTOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 1300534
  • National Monuments Record: 438809
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/194
  • Old SAM Ref: 34467

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • STAMPING MILL (XVIII to XX - 1800 AD to 1950 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Three sided structure open to the south-west shown on 19th century map. A small rectangular building is shown in the northern corner.


Cook, R. M. L., 1974, Eylesbarrow (1814- 1852): A Study of a Dartmoor Tin Mine, Figures 1-3 (Article in Serial). SDV231127.

Eylesbarrow Stamping Mill Number 3. Extensive dressing floor. Stamps on one side of the wheel only. Has a''reck house' nearby.


Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1985, Aerial Photograph Project (Dartmoor) - Dartmoor Pre-NMP (Cartographic). SDV319854.

Not visible 1946 aerial photograhs.


Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset., 157197 (Report - Survey). SDV277946.

Site visited on 9th May 2002. Stamping mill 1020 metres south-west of Eylesbarrow, forming part of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. A machinery block stands next to the wheelpit and survives as a shaped rectangular granite block 1.2 metres long, 0.58 metres wide by 0.58 metres thick. Four holes cut into the north-east end are 5 centimetres in diameter and 8 centimetres deep. The wheelpit is 0.9 metres wide, 0.7 metres deep and is filled with rubble. Covered in grass and heather.


Greeves, T. A. P., 1997, Tin Stamping Mills of Dartmoor after AD 1750, 6-8 (Article in Serial). SDV346020.

Eylesbarrow, Stamping Mill Number 3. Extensive dressing floor. Stamps on one side of the wheel only. Has a 'reck house' nearby.


Bodman, M., 1998, Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 23/26 (Report - non-specific). SDV305931.


Newman, P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 105-148 (Article in Serial). SDV231130.

Referred to as a new mill in 1814 when it was thatched and buddle conduits were made. Little stonework visible as walls more like a stone-faced bank with slight batter. Features shown on 1:500 survey.


Newman , P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 22, 25-28, Figures 2, 10-11 (Report - Survey). SDV352201.

Stamping mills at 'Ailsboro Mines' were undergoing a programme of refurbishment in 1814 and works were being undertaken at three new stamping mills including Stamping Mill Number 3 where a buddle conduit was made and the mill was thatched. The engine leat to this mill was still being constructed in 1814. All the stamping mills at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine consist of a level stance cut into the slope with a revetted retaining wall on the upslope side and return wall on one or both ends. The rectangular open ended wheelpits are sited at right angles to the revetment. Upslope of the wheelpits are raised leat embankment which would have supported wooden launders. A stamping area can be identified at each mill immediately adjacent to the wheel which consists of a stone revetted level platform raised above the dressing floor onto which the Cornish Type stamps would fall onto the ore contained within a timber coffer. The upper surfaces have robust granite kerbs. The mills would have used the wet stamping process washing the crushed particles through a perforated grate into a stone-lined settling pit sited on the dressing floor. Below the main dressing floors are a range of secondary 'buddles' and tailings pits which would have further refined the tin concentrate. The water-borne concentrate and waste would be transported between processes via a system of wooden launders, channels and underground conduits.


Whitbourne, A., 2001, Visit to Eylesbarrow Mine, 2-3 (Article in Serial). SDV231129.


National Monument Record, 2013, 1300534, SX56NE249 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV352482.

A water powered stamping mill and attached dressing floor at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. The mill is one of six stamping mills which processed tin ore for Eylesbarrow Tin Mine, and is also one of three which were constructed in 1814. An archaeological field survey by English Heritage in 1999 found the mill to comprise a level stance of ground with a revetted retaining wall. At the north end is a rectangular, stone wheelpit, measuring 8.2 metres by 0.9 metres. Upslope is a raised earth leat embankment, which would have supported a wooden launder channel at the correct height to bring water to the overshot wheel. A deep open tail race channel diverted water away from the wheelpit, onto the launder of the fourth stamping mill in the sequence. The water source was the Eylesbarrow Engine leat which stored water in the large reservoir 160m uphill. Before connecting with this mill the water had already passed over or bypassed the Engine Wheel and two stamping mill wheels. A possible stamping has also been identified. It consists of a 3 metre by 2.2 metre stone revetted level platform, raised above the dressing floor onto which the set of Cornish stamps, would operate. The mill used the wet stamping process whereby a flow of water was passed over the base of the stamps, washing the crushed particles through a perforated grate, into a stone lined settling pit sited on the dressing floor. It measures 2.8 metres by 1.3 metres long and has a lining of flat granite slabs, which are still partially visible. Below the main dressing floor there are 2 additional pits. They measure approximately 7.5 metres by 2.8 metres, and survive to a maximum depth of 0.5 metre. One has remains of a masonry lining.


National Monuments Record, 2013, 438809 (Website). SDV231126.

There are six dressing floors at Eylesbarrow where ore was stamped and dressed, aligned along the Drizzlecombe valley.


English Heritage, 2013, Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains (Schedule Document). SDV231131.

Eylesbarrow Tin Mine contains a broad range of different forms of evidence relating to prospecting, exploitation and processing of both tin deposits and lodes. In particular, the 19th century mining remains represent an important source of information concerning the character of a large scale water powered tin mine, where all the original elements survive in an excellent condition. The survival of so many stamping mills together with a smelting house and full range of mining remains and associated buildings is indeed unique in the South West of England.
The monument includes six separate stamping mills and a smelting house was constructed to smelt the processed tin from the stamping mills. The size of the operation is emphasised by the large number of ancillary buildings constructed to serve the mine. Amongst these are a count house, dormitory accommodation, blacksmith's shop, powder houses, sample house and various storage buildings.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Three sides of a structure open to the south-west shown on modern mapping.


Various, 2018-2019, PALs Condition Recording forms, WLK-DT40 (Worksheet). SDV362781.

Visited 17/9/2019. Wheelpit covered by grass and whortleberry with reeds in then tailrace. Overall condition very good. Photo taken.


Various, 2018-2019, PALs Condition Recording photographs, WLK-DT40 (Photograph). SDV363073.

Photo looking 190° showing wheelpit with grass and whortleberry cover and reeds in the tail race.


Greeves, T., July 1979, Devon Studies Week. Notes for Afternoon Excursion, Thursday, July 12th 1979 (Un-published). SDV230997.

Site visited on 12th July 1979. Constructed about 1820. One of a series of tin stamping mills. Served by a leat.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV230997Un-published: Greeves, T.. July 1979. Devon Studies Week. Notes for Afternoon Excursion, Thursday, July 12th 1979. Digital.
SDV231126Website: National Monuments Record. 2013. 438809. National Monuments Record Database. Website.
SDV231127Article in Serial: Cook, R. M. L.. 1974. Eylesbarrow (1814- 1852): A Study of a Dartmoor Tin Mine. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 106. Paperback Volume. Figures 1-3.
SDV231129Article in Serial: Whitbourne, A.. 2001. Visit to Eylesbarrow Mine. Dartmoor Tin Working Research Group Newsletter. 22. Unknown. 2-3.
SDV231130Article in Serial: Newman, P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 57. Paperback Volume. 105-148.
SDV231131Schedule Document: English Heritage. 2013. Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains. The Schedule of Monuments. Website.
SDV277946Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. 157197.
SDV305931Report - non-specific: Bodman, M.. 1998. Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 23/26.
SDV319854Cartographic: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1985. Aerial Photograph Project (Dartmoor) - Dartmoor Pre-NMP. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Aerial Photograph P. Cartographic.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346020Article in Serial: Greeves, T. A. P.. 1997. Tin Stamping Mills of Dartmoor after AD 1750. Dartmoor Magazine. 49. Paperback Volume. 6-8.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #88802 ]
SDV352201Report - Survey: Newman , P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. English Heritage Survey Report. A4 Spiral Bound. 22, 25-28, Figures 2, 10-11.
SDV352482National Monuments Record Database: National Monument Record. 2013. 1300534. National Monuments Record Database. Website. SX56NE249.
SDV362781Worksheet: Various. 2018-2019. PALs Condition Recording forms. PALs Condition Assessment Project Forms. Digital. WLK-DT40.
SDV363073Photograph: Various. 2018-2019. PALs Condition Recording photographs. PALs Condition Assessment Project Forms. Digital. WLK-DT40.

Associated Monuments

MDV3330Part of: Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66424Related to: Dressing Floor at Stamping Mill 3 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3332Related to: Leat 1 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66515Related to: Leat 2 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66422Related to: Leat embankment south of Stamping Mill 2 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66425Related to: Leat embankment south-west of Stamping Mill 3 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV64713Related to: Leat Serving the Southern part of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV4010Related to: Smelting House at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3578Related to: Stamping Mill Number 1 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3579Related to: Stamping Mill Number 2 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3581Related to: Stamping Mill Number 4 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3327Related to: Stamping Mill Number 5 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3582Related to: Stamping Mill Number 6 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66504Related to: Tramway 1 at Eyleasbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4966 - Survey of Drizzlecombe, Eylesbarrow, Ditsworthy and Hartor
  • EDV6239 - Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine

Date Last Edited:Sep 16 2019 6:21PM