HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3614
Name:Longhouse at Higher Dittisham, Walkhampton

Summary

Unoccupied house, formerly longhouse, now in use as store and stabling. Circa late 16th or early 17th century with addition of 1663 and alterations in 20th century. Stone rubble walls with gable-ended corrugated iron roof. Despite recent alterations the main fabric of this house survives with a number of features from both building phases; it represents an interesting example of a modest parlour wing house.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 535 704
Map Sheet:SX57SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWalkhampton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWALKHAMPTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX57SW/22
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LONGHOUSE (XVI to XVII - 1575 AD to 1635 AD (Between))

Full description

Everett, A. W., 3116z/33 (Record Office Collection). SDV216805.


Jones, S. R., 1971, Devonshire Farmhouses. Part III. Moorland and Non-Moorland Long-Houses, 55 (Article in Serial). SDV338987.

Higher Dittisham, longhouse. A datestone RPM 1663 set above the doorway leading into the wing from the yard. It originally comprised the present shippen and a small hall, and beyond this an unheated parlour or service room. A wing was added to make an L-shaped plan. On the south side is the stub wall of a low porch that shielded the cross walk door, and east of this is a stair turret occupying an over lapping position and built perhaps before the parlour wing was added. The layout of the new additions was unusual in that it had its own external doorway leading into an entrance lobby to the left of which were two small rooms and, on the right a parlour. The modern ceiling joints rest at the wing wall on a deep chamfered beam mortised for close set joints, part of the pre 1663 flooring. The shippen may ante-date the rest of the building. The upper floor level has been obliterated.


Department of Environment, 1988, Walkhampton, 66 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV11886.

A plan of the house, drawn c.1960, is among A. W. Everett's papers in the Devon Record Office. Unoccupied house immediately to the south-east of Higher Dittisham farmhouse. Formerly longhouse, now in use as store and stabling. Circa late 16th or early 17th century with addition of 1663 and alterations in 20th century. Stone rubble walls. Gable-ended corrugated iron roof. Two storeys. L-shaped with larger range sloping downhill consisting of hall and shippon which is now one storey and has two stable doors. The original drain-hole survives. To the left of the arched doorway, on the first floor is a tall inserted 20th century window opening and to its right is a granite datestone inscribed '1663 RPM'. Oven to right of hall fireplace.
Despite recent alterations the main fabric of this house survives with a number of features from both building phases; a modest parlour wing house. See List for further details.


Brown, S., 1993, Higher Dittisham, Walkhampton, Devon. Archaeological appraisal of longhouse, 1 (Report - Assessment). SDV359815.

In September 1993, a rapid archaeological appraisal of the standing fabric of the longhouse was made whilst extensive renovation work was in progress. The earliest standing masonry appears to belong to a longhouse with the usual plan of hall and upper end separated from a shippon by a cross-passage. In the second half of the 17th century, the house end of the building was extensively rebuilt and improved with the addition of a parlour wing terraced into the hillside. The house was converted for use as two cottages when the present farmhouse was built c. 1900. 20th-century alterations include re-roofing and most of the internal partitions and fittings.


Sanders, J., 2011, Changing Times for Dartmoor Longhouses, 62-63, photographs (Article in Serial). SDV360398.

Higher Dittisham is first mentioned in 1281. It has had a chequered life but has been restored since the 1990s, having fallen into a sad state. Major work was carried out to remove many tons of earth (as damp had penetrated the rear wall) as part of a full-scale renovation and by 1994 it was fit to be used as a dwelling again. Outside is a large barn (c. 1900) and opposite this a former piggery.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Depicted on the modern map.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England, 1326416 (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

WALKHAMPTON SX 57 SW 13/140 Unoccupied house immediately to - south-east of Higher Dittisham Farmhouse - II
Unoccupied house, formerly longhouse, now in use as store and stabling. Circa late C16 or early C17 with addition of 1663 and alterations in C20. Stone rubble walls. Gable-ended corrugated iron roof. Plan: The building began as a relatively modest longhouse with shippon at the lower, right-hand end, which had a through-passage at its higher end divided only by a light partition. To the left of the passage was a small hall with an axial fireplace backing onto passage. Beyond this was a small unheated inner room and at the rear, overlapping the 2 rooms, was a newel stair projection. In 1663 a parlour wing was built projecting from the higher end and involving a partial rebuild of the inner room. This wing is now gutted internally but preserves its original external door giving independent access. The position of the surviving fireplace and windows suggests an arrangement on the ground floor of a lobby entrance with one or possibly 2 service rooms to the left and the parlour to the right heated by an axial fireplace in the wall adjoining the hall. There was also a gable end fireplace on the 1st floor of the wing. At this stage the hall was probably relegated to kitchen status. The house was probably abondoned in the later C19 and substantial changes were made to it throughout the C20. The shippon was reduced in height, and divided into loose boxes with the passage partition removed and doors blocked; the doorway from hall to passage was also blocked and the original internal partitions in the wing removed. Exterior: 2 storeys. L-shaped with larger range sloping downhill consisting of hall and shippon which is now 1 storey and has 2 stable doors. The original drain-hole survives in its lower gable end. At the higher, left-hand end, of its front wall the blocked passage doorway can be seen. A C20 plank door has been inserted into the front of the hall at the left end of the main range with a loading doorway above. The wing projects at the left-hand end with a 4-centred chamfered granite doorway on the inner face. To its left is the hollow-chamfered granite frame of a 2-light mullion window whose central mullion has been removed. There is evidence of a similar window on the ground floor of the gable end. To the left of the arched doorway, on the 1st floor is a tall inserted C20 window opening and to its right is a granite datestone inscribed "1663 RPM". Interior: Hall fireplace has plain granite lintel and unchamfered granite jambs. Oven in right-hand side. At the higher end of the hall is a chamfered half beam set into the wall. Stone newel stairs at rear of hall. The former parlour preserves its blocked fireplace with granite jambs and ovolo-moulded wooden lintel which has hollow-stepped and notched stops. The 1st floor fireplace in the wing has a chamfered wooden lintel and chamfered granite jambs. Despite recent alterations the main fabric of this house survives with a number of features from both building phases; it represents an interesting example of a modest parlour wing house. Source: Devon Farmhouses III - S. R. Jones : Trans. Devonshire Assoc 1971
Listing NGR: SX5355670471

Sources / Further Reading

SDV11886List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Walkhampton. Historic Houses Register. 66.
SDV216805Record Office Collection: Everett, A. W.. 3116z/33. Devon Record Office Collection. Unknown.
SDV338987Article in Serial: Jones, S. R.. 1971. Devonshire Farmhouses. Part III. Moorland and Non-Moorland Long-Houses. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 103. A5 Paperback. 55.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #88920 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website. 1326416.
SDV359815Report - Assessment: Brown, S.. 1993. Higher Dittisham, Walkhampton, Devon. Archaeological appraisal of longhouse. Stewart Brown Associates Report. 1.
SDV360398Article in Serial: Sanders, J.. 2011. Changing Times for Dartmoor Longhouses. Devon Buildings Group Newsletter. 29. A4 Comb Bound. 62-63, photographs.

Associated Monuments

MDV78036Part of: Higher Dittisham farmstead, Walkhampton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7098 - Archaeological appraisal of longhouse at Higher Dittisham, Walkhampton

Date Last Edited:Sep 25 2017 4:25PM