HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV36167
Name:FARMHOUSE in the Parish of Crediton Hamlets


Dunscombe farmhouse, the former mansion of the Bodley family, dates from the late 17th or 18th century but possibly has a late 16th or early 17th century core. It was refurbished in the 19th century but still retains earlier features.


Grid Reference:SX 862 989
Map Sheet:SX89NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton Hamlets
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX89NE/33/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

NMR, Untitled Source (National Monuments Record Database). SDV38638.

In good condition. Small extension added to south west side and house rendered. Cob wall attached to south west of house has also been rendered (citing Sainsbury).

Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 379 (Monograph). SDV17562.

Higher Dunscombe remains of mansion. Traces of the mansion occupied by the ancestors of Sir Thomas Bodley.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1969, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV38636.

Dunscombe is a large 18th/19th century farm house. Brick built but in the east and north faces of the south wing are reused 17th century door and window frames. Otherwise of little architectural interest. Other details: Photo.

Department of Environment, 1985, Crediton Hamlets, 41 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV38635.

Dunscombe Farmhouse including cob garden wall to south west. Farmhouse, former mansion of Bodley family. Possibly late 16th - early 17th century core, rebuilt in late 17th or 18th century, refurbished in 19th century. Flemish bond brick on footings of squared volcanic stone blocks; front block plastered; slate roofs. Two parallel gable-ended ranges. Two-room, double-depth plan with central cross passage to rear stair. 19th century rear service block. Main house faces south-east. Three gable-ended stacks and rear axial stack to front right room. Two storeys with attics in roofspace, half basement to stairs and vaulted cellars under north-east (right) end. Three-window front. Central door behind late 19th - early 20th century gabled porch with glass roof and sides. 20th century windows either side and late 19th - early 20th century nine-pane sashes under segmental heads to first floor. High plastered cob wall with pitched slate roof extends from south-west side along one side of garden. Rear elevation of white-washed brick includes some 19th century casements with small panes; contemporary five-panel door and rectangular fanlight with glazing bars and margin panes. Two probably reset late 16th - early 17th century Beer stone two-light stair windows with ovolo-moulded mullions and hoodmoulds. Both have two vertical iron bars to each light and tall upper window contains 24 rectangular leaded panes each light. North-east double gable end also includes late 16th - early 17th century Beer stone features; two arched doorways of re-used moulding to cellars and two windows with hoodmoulds on ground floor. Interior has mainly 19th century furnishings and fittings but also includes some late 16th - 17th century features; left rear room has moulded beam from a four-panel intersecting beam ceiling and stairs to half-basement has closed string, heavy turned oak balusters and moulded flat handrail. Closed string dog-leg stair above could be late 17th or 18th century but balusters are boxed in. Plain finished cross beams to all first floor rooms and eight narrow bays of A-frame trusses in each roof (probably 17th century). House was apparently rebuilt or refaced in brick in early 19th century but re-use of so many architectural fragments suggests that some earlier fabric may survive. Oak panelling and high quality carved chimney piece of 1604 removed to Downes. Formerly known as Higher Dunscombe.

Sainsbury, I. S., 1990, Untitled Source (Site Visit). SDV38642.

RCHME field inspection.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 379.
SDV38635List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1985. Crediton Hamlets. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 41.
SDV38636Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1969. SX89NE2.
SDV38638National Monuments Record Database: NMR.
SDV38642Site Visit: Sainsbury, I. S.. 1990. RCHME Field Investigation.

Associated Monuments

MDV62682Parent of: MILL in the Parish of Crediton Hamlets (Monument)
MDV62682Related to: MILL in the Parish of Crediton Hamlets (Monument)
MDV16178Part of: Crediton, Dunscombe Farm (Monument)
MDV62682Parent of: MILL in the Parish of Crediton Hamlets (Monument)
MDV62682Related to: MILL in the Parish of Crediton Hamlets (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV2852 - Unnamed Event
  • EDV2853 - RCHME Field Inspection

Date Last Edited:Sep 30 2015 5:07PM