HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV36703
Name:Filleigh Cottage


Animal house and agricultural store, formerly a farmhouse, 16th century, with major later 16th and 17th century improvements. Abandoned as a dwelling and re-roofed in the 20th century.


Grid Reference:SS 743 104
Map Sheet:SS71SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishLapford
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLAPFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS71SW/28/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Filleigh Cottage' shown.

Hulland, C., 1976, Notes on Filleigh Cottage (Un-published). SDV354976.

Filleigh Cottage, now used as cattle shed and hayloft. Cross passage. Remnants of stud and panel screen in situ. Hall/passage. Studs plain chamfered. Durn and lintel of square headed door frame survive - presumably screen door but possibly main entry door. Circa 1500 round headed door frame in excellent condition between passage and lower room. Cream oven, now a ruined recess in hall/parlour wall. With exception of circa 1500 round headed door frame all the dating features appear to indicate later part of period 1575-1625. Has appearance of having been a husbandman's house.

Department of Environment, 1985, Lapford, 44 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV341285.

Animal house approximately 400 metres east of Lower Filleigh Farmhouse.
Animal house and agricultural store, formerly a farmhouse. C16, with major later C16 and C17 improvements; abandoned as a dwelling and re-roofed in C20. Once- plastered cob on rubble footings; rubble stacks, their chimney shafts removed; corrugated iron roof. Originally a 3-room-and-through-passage plan house facing east with former inner room at left (south) end. Now barn on north end includes former service end room and wall between them is demolished. End stack to former inner room and lateral stack newel stair turret projecting to front of former hall. C19 cartshed on right end. 2 storey main block. Irregular and much-altered 3- window front with first floor loading hatches and, on ground floor, C20 doors to all rooms. Roof is now gable-ended and carried over stacks. Catshed has lower roof with hipped end and blind cob wall to front. Good interior although roof replaced in C20. Cob crosswalls on lower side of passage and upper end of hall. Inner room has C16 common joist ceiling and C17 stone rubble fireplace with soffit-chamfered and scroll-stopped oak lintel; now blocked. C16 oak doorframe from inner room to hall; it is now square-headed but chamfered surround follows original 2-centred arch. Hall has 3-bay ceiling carried by mid-late C16 crossbeams with double ovolo mouldings with step stops. Large volcanic stone fireplace, its oak lintel with a broad chamfer and pyramid stops, and disused rear oven also mid-late C16. Contemporary stone newel stair with oak treads alongside fireplace. Also rear wall includes small and plain C16 oak window with 2 narrow, round-headed lights. Its sill has been enlarged to include oak-board lining of probably C17 cupboard. Remains of mid-late C16 oak plank-and-muntin screen, the muntins chamfered and step stopped, between hall and passage. Now C20 doors either end of passage although the oak post and head of a C16 segmental headed doorway lies on passage floor. C16 oak doorway from passage to service end, an intact 2-centred arch with chamfered surround. Position of former end wall shows from rough wall stubs either side of present barn. Post of one jointed cruck truss shows on first floor.

Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV341285List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1985. Lapford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Bound. 44.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89107 ]
SDV354976Un-published: Hulland, C.. 1976. Notes on Filleigh Cottage. Typescript + Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Dec 6 2013 11:26AM