HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV36781
Name:Linhay on Braunton Marsh, 950 metres north-north-west of the Great Sluice

Summary

Remains of an open-fronted cattle shed or linhay built of shale rubble with a double roman tile roof. One of a number built on the marsh following its reclaimation in the earlier 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 475 351
Map Sheet:SS43NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBraunton
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBRAUNTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS43NE/172
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 98291

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LINHAY (Built, XIX - 1810 AD to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Building shown.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Building depicted.


Ordnance Survey, 1905, 8SE (Cartographic). SDV17296.


Turpin, J. W., 1982, Braunton Great Field and Marshes, 8 (Report - non-specific). SDV341027.

Erected following reclamation of the marshes, linhays provided shelter for stock, and contribute to the character of the area.


Dennis, A. J., 1983, Braunton Marshes Linhay Survey (Archive - Survey). SDV341136.

Linhay 26. 3.9 metres high, 3.7 metres wide and 9.2 metres long. Open fronted, no pound, in good condition. Annotated survey drawing shows a single storey, three bay, open-fronted building with circular pillars supporting the roof at the front. The roof is covered with double roman clay tiles. No photo in archive file.


Department of Environment, 1985, Braunton, 17 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV73918.

Cattle shelter, circa 1815-20. Shale rubble with pantile roof with gable ends. Three bay open front with circular stone rubble piers supporting roof. This cattle shelter (locally known as linhays) is one of many on Braunton Marsh and served as a shelter and possibly fodder store for cattle on the marsh.


Manning, C., 2007, Braunton Marsh Management Study 2007, 8, 23 (Report - non-specific). SDV341104.

The Marsh linhays are intrinsically associated with the traditional cattle farming of the area, and their construction is believed to have started almost immediately after the initial enclosure was completed. Almost all linhays appear to have been built by the time of the 1842 tithe map of Braunton Parish. Linhays are 2 storey, open-sided cattle shelters, with a talet which was used to store feed. This study has produced a photographic inventory of the current condition of the Marsh linhays, together with any known sites of linhays which have now been lost forever.


Wessex Archaeology, 2007, RMB Chivenor Flood Defence Scheme Barnstaple, Devon: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment, 10 (WA108) (Report - Assessment). SDV342125.


Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J., 2007, The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report, Survey No. 1304 (Report - Assessment). SDV339712.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Cattle shelter 95 [sic] metres north-north-west of the Great Sluice. Cattle Shelter. Circa 1815-20. Shale rubble with pantile roof with gable ends. 3- bay open front with circular stone rubble piers supporting roof. This cattle shelter (locally known as linhays) is one of many on Braunton Marsh and served as a shelter and possibly fodder store for cattle on the marsh. Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the River Taw, but from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained after authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south-east was reclaimed between 1852-1857. Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where the Great Field immediately north of the marsh is one of only 3 open field systems to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great Field their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.


Historic England, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV358087.

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/07/2015.
Cattle Shelter 950 metres north north-west of The Great Sluice. Formerly listed as Cattle Shelter 95 metres north north-west of The Great Sluice.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV17296Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1905. 8SE. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map. Map (Paper).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV339712Report - Assessment: Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J.. 2007. The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report. Exeter Archaeology Report. 06.22 (rev.1). A4 Stapled + Digital. Survey No. 1304.
SDV341027Report - non-specific: Turpin, J. W.. 1982. Braunton Great Field and Marshes. Devon County Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 8.
SDV341104Report - non-specific: Manning, C.. 2007. Braunton Marsh Management Study 2007. Taw Torridge Estuary Forum Report. A4 Spiral Bound. 8, 23.
SDV341136Archive - Survey: Dennis, A. J.. 1983. Braunton Marshes Linhay Survey. Braunton Marsh Linhay Survey. Digital + Mixed Archive Material.
SDV342125Report - Assessment: Wessex Archaeology. 2007. RMB Chivenor Flood Defence Scheme Barnstaple, Devon: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment. Wessex Archaeology Report. 67300.01. A4 Stapled + Digital. 10 (WA108).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89132 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV358087National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV73918List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1985. Braunton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 17.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4490 - RMB Chivenor Flood Defence Scheme Barnstaple, Devon: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment
  • EDV6573 - Braunton Marshes Linhay Survey

Date Last Edited:Aug 20 2015 11:58AM