HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3684
Name:Village Cross west of Northlew Church

Summary

Medieval village cross to the west of Northlew parish church restored in 1900

Location

Grid Reference:SX 504 991
Map Sheet:SX59NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNorthlew
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTHLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 440833
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX59NW/35
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 93339
  • Old SAM Ref: 27333
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SX59NW6

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CROSS (XIV to XV - 1400 AD to 1500 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Stone Cross' shown on 19th century map.


Kelly's Directories Limited, 1902-1906, Untitled Source (Monograph). SDV343755.


Masson Phillips, E. N., 1937, The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I, 332-3 (Article in Serial). SDV240502.

Cross, in the village, near the entrance to the churchyard. Type D. A large pedestal of three octagonal steps with projecting top edges, the uppermost step of which has its sides decorated with carved quatrefoils, etc. On this rests the socket-stone, square at the base with corner spurs and octagonal above. The sides of the socket-stone are also ornamented. A modern shaft, square at the base and with chamfered edges above, tapers upwards and then expands to support an ancient canopy-head, which is square in shape with gabled sides under each of which there is a raised cross within a cusped niche. Other details: Plate XLII Figure 23.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1951, SX59NW6 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV346125.

Medieval stone cross (restored) near the entrance to the churchyard.


Copeland, G. W., 1966, Proceedings at the 104th Annual Meeting, 29 (Article in Serial). SDV266064.


Geipel, H. C., 1986, St Thomas of Canterbury, Northlew (Pamphlet). SDV346071.

The village cross stands on the original site of the preaching cross. It dates back to the 15th century and is said to have been erected by the monks of Tavistock Abbey. The cross was restored under the direction of the Rev T England in 1850 and the shaft was restored in 1900 through the efforts of the Rev John Worthington.


Department of Environment, 1988, Northlew, 126 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV253956.

Village cross of the 15th century, restored in 1900 by Hems and Sons. Granite with renewed octagonal shaft with original lantern head which has cinquefoil niches, cushion-stopped base. The whole stands on three octagonal steps of which the top one has worn carvings on each side.


Gerrard, H., 1994, 139533 (Un-published). SDV346072.

Village cross 40 metres south-west of church, situated in the middle of a road leading to the church, at a T junction within the village.


Department of Environment, 1995, Village Cross in Northlew 40 metres south-west of the Church (Schedule Document). SDV346073.

This monument includes the village cross of Northlew, situated in the middle of the road to the church, at a T junction within the village. The cross has a three stepped octagonal pedestal with projecting top edges. The uppermost step has its sides decorated with carved ecclesiastical motifs. All the steps of the pedestal are constructed from large slabs of granite. The bottom step is 3.1 metres in diameter, the length of each octagonal side is 1.32 metres and it is 0.76 metres high. The second step has a diameter of 2.6 metres, the length of each octagonal side is 0.92 metres and it is 0.48 metres high. The upper step has a diameter of 1.7 metres, the length of each octagonal side is 0.7 metres and it is 0.5 metres high. Above is a socket stone, which is also ornamented. It is square at the base and octagonal above. The base measures 0.9 metres long, 0.88 metres wide and 0.52 metres high. Into the socket a modern shaft has been erected which is square at the base, 0.45 metres long and wide, octagonal above and tapers upwards; it then expands to support the original lantern head. This is square in shape, with gabled sides under each of which there is a raised cross within a cusped niche. The height of both shaft and head is approximately 3 metres. The cross was restored under the direction of Reverend T England in 1850 and the shaft was restored in 1900 by Hems and Sons under the direction of Reverend John Worthington. The cross is Listed Grade II. Excluded from the scheduling are the metalled road surface where it falls within the cross's protective margin, although the ground beneath the road surface is included. Wayside crosses were erected during the Medieval period, mostly from the 9th to 15th centuries. Despite restoration the cross survives comparatively well and is likely to be in its original position. The elaborately decorated pedestal is a particularly unusual feature. Other details: Monument 27333.


Watson, A., 2007-2017?, Devon Crosses, 327, (Vol 3), sketch (Un-published). SDV360833.

Northlew SX503991
Northlew Cross stands in the village, near the entrance to the churchyard. A large pedestal of three octagonal steps with projecting top edges, the uppermost step of which has its sides decorated with carved quatrefoils etc. On this rests the ancient socket stone, square at the base with corner spurs and octagonal above. The sides of the socket stone are also ornamented. A modern shaft, square at the base with chamfered edges above, tapers upwards and then extends to support an ancient canopy head, which is square in shape with gabled sides under which there is a raised cross within a cusped niche. Legend has it that Northlew was the place where the Devil died of a cold, which he caught on Sourton Moor and was buried under the village cross.
Cross height 2.97 metres, head height 0.58 metres by 0.35 metres wide. Shaft height to collar 2.39 metres, base 0.35 by 0.35 metres. Socket stone 0.83 by 0.88 metres by 0.50 metres high.
Pedestal top 1.65 metres by 0.45 metres high, middle 2.31 metres by 0.45 metres high, bottom 2.97 metres by 0.76 metres high (octagonal).


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Village cross in Northlew was Listed on 22nd February 1967. Other details: LBS Number 93339.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

'Cross' shown on modern mapping in the road to the west of the church lych gate.


National Monuments Record, 2011, 440833 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV346124.

The village cross stands on the site of the preaching cross. It dates from the 15th century and was restored in 1850, the shaft being restored or replaced in 1900.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV240502Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1937. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 69. A5 Hardback. 332-3.
SDV253956List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Northlew. Historic Houses Register. Website. 126.
SDV266064Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1966. Proceedings at the 104th Annual Meeting. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 98. A5 Paperback. 29.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV343755Monograph: Kelly's Directories Limited. 1902-1906. Kelly's Directory of Devon. Unknown.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #89179 ]
SDV346071Pamphlet: Geipel, H. C.. 1986. St Thomas of Canterbury, Northlew. Church Guide. A5 Paperback.
SDV346072Un-published: Gerrard, H.. 1994. 139533. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Unknown.
SDV346073Schedule Document: Department of Environment. 1995. Village Cross in Northlew 40 metres south-west of the Church. The Schedule of Monuments. A4 Stapled.
SDV346124National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 2011. 440833. National Monuments Record Database. Website.
SDV346125Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1951. SX59NW6. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV360833Un-published: Watson, A.. 2007-2017?. Devon Crosses. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. 327, (Vol 3), sketch.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 14 2018 1:25PM