HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV36862
Name:Linhay on Braunton Marsh 480 metres north-west of the Great Sluice.

Summary

Small cattle shelter and adjoining shelter wall, circa 1815-20.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 474 345
Map Sheet:SS43SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBraunton
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBRAUNTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS43SE/223
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 98296

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LINHAY (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, 06/04/1984, Going to Work on the Marshes (Article in Serial). SDV351417.

Restoration work on the historic stone linhays on Brauton Marshes is to be aided by a grant from Devon County Council.


Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

small building shown on western side of field 493.


Turpin, J. W., 1982, Braunton Great Field and Marshes, 8 (Report - non-specific). SDV341027.

Erected following reclamation of the marshes, linhays provided shelter for stock, and contribute to the character of the area.


Department of Environment, 1985, Braunton, 21 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV73918.

Small cattle shelter and adjoining shelter wall, circa 1815-20. Shale rubble with low pitched corrugated iron roof with gabled ends and with cemented file capping to gable. Open fronted 2 bays with rectangular stone rubble pier supporting roof. Stone rubble shelter wall attached to south east corner extends around front area with curved corner. This cattle shelter (locally known as linhays) is one of many on Braunton Marsh and served as a shelter and probably a fodder store for cattle on the marsh.


Manning, C., 2007, Braunton Marsh Management Study 2007, 8, 23 (Report - non-specific). SDV341104.

The Marsh linhays are intrinsically associated with the traditional cattle farming of the area, and their construction is believed to have started almost immediately after the initial enclosure was completed. Almost all linhays appear to have been built by the time of the 1842 tithe map of Braunton Parish. Linhays are 2 storey, open-sided cattle shelters, with a talet which was used to store feed. This study has produced a photographic inventory of the current condition of the Marsh linhays, together with any known sites of linhays which have now been lost forever.


Wessex Archaeology, 2007, RMB Chivenor Flood Defence Scheme Barnstaple, Devon: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment, 10 (Report - Assessment). SDV342125.

Other details: WA 113.


Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J., 2007, The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report (Report - Assessment). SDV339712.

Other details: Survey number 1398.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Cattle shelter and adjoining wall 48 [sic] metres north-west of the Great Sluice. Small cattle shelter and adjoining shelter wall. Circa 1815-20. Shale rubble with low pitched corrugated iron roof with gabled ends and with cemented file capping to gable. Open fronted 2 bays with rectangular stone rubble pier supporting roof. Stone rubble shelter wall attached to south east corner extends around front area with curved corner. This cattle shelter (locally known as linhays) is one of many on Braunton Marsh and served as a shelter and probably a fodder store for cattle on the marsh. Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the River Taw, but from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained after authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south east was reclaimed between 1852- 1857. Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where the Great Field immediately north of the marsh is one of only 3 open field systems to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great Field their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.


Historic England, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV358087.

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/07/2015.
Cattle Shelter and adjoining wall 480 metres north-west of The Great Sluice. Formerly listed as Cattle Shelter and adjoining wall 48 metres north-west of The Great Sluice.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV339712Report - Assessment: Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J.. 2007. The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report. Exeter Archaeology Report. 06.22 (rev.1). A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV341027Report - non-specific: Turpin, J. W.. 1982. Braunton Great Field and Marshes. Devon County Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 8.
SDV341104Report - non-specific: Manning, C.. 2007. Braunton Marsh Management Study 2007. Taw Torridge Estuary Forum Report. A4 Spiral Bound. 8, 23.
SDV342125Report - Assessment: Wessex Archaeology. 2007. RMB Chivenor Flood Defence Scheme Barnstaple, Devon: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment. Wessex Archaeology Report. 67300.01. A4 Stapled + Digital. 10.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV351417Article in Serial: Unknown. 06/04/1984. Going to Work on the Marshes. Bideford Gazette. Newspaper/Magazine Cutting + Digital.
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV358087National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV73918List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1985. Braunton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 21.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4490 - RMB Chivenor Flood Defence Scheme Barnstaple, Devon: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment

Date Last Edited:Aug 20 2015 12:31PM