HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV37209
Name:Ludbrook Mill, Ermington


Ludbrook Mill, with adjoining mill house, still retains its waterwheel and much of its machinery. In 1817 it is described as comprising two mill houses with two waterwheels working three pairs of millstones and other machinery. A single, large diameter waterwheel driving two pairs of stones through layshaft gearing was inserted in the last quarter of the 19th century. The mill worked until 1962.


Grid Reference:SX 658 542
Map Sheet:SX65SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishErmington
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishMODBURY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65SE/59
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WATERMILL (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

1841, Untitled Source (Cartographic). SDV164469.

Ludbrook Mill shown with leat on Modbury Tithe Map.

Ordnance Survey, 1906/1969, Untitled Source, 125NE(1906) (Cartographic). SDV155466.

'Corn Mill' indicated on 1906 6" OS map, 'Ludbrook Mill Farm' on 1969 map.

Department of Environment, 1984, Ermington, 15 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV164470.

Ludbrook Mill and house. Water mill and adjoining house. Circa early 19th century. Stone rubble with slate hung front. Asbestos slate roof with hipped and half-hipped ends. Situated at right angles to road. The house at road end two storeys, two window range. Sashes with glazing bars and two light casement. Left hand flush panel door with slated hood over. Brick chimney stack at rear. Mill adjoining left. Two storeys. One bay. Ground floor stone rubble, slate hung above. Ground and first floor doors and small second floor window. Outshuts at ear. The mill machinery is intact and was last used in 1962. Overhead undershot wheel of cast iron with wooden spokes.

Ordnance Survey, 1988, Untitled Source (Cartographic). SDV164471.

Ludbrook Mill not shown on 1988 1:25000 OS map.

Weddell, P. J., 1989, Untitled Source (Worksheet). SDV164475.

Bodman, M., 1998, Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 12 (Report - non-specific). SDV305931.

Other details: 11.

Bodman, M., 2003, Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 94-5 (Report - Interim). SDV325576.

Sale notice of 1817 describes the mill as 'those capital , CORN, GRIST and FLOUR MILLS, called LUDBROOKE MILLS' comprising 'two mill houses, with two water wheels, working three pair of millstones, a bunt and other requisite machinery, together with a good dwelling house, garden, orchard and other conveniences'. By 1942 there appears to have been only two pairs of stones driven by an overshot, possibly pitchback, wheel, 20ft diameter by 3ft 6in wide, bearing the name 'Polyblank & Co., Newton Abbot'. Other details: Draft Report.

Unknown, 2004, Step Back in Time at Old Mill (Article in Serial). SDV323835.

The mill has the remains of the cast iron waterwheel, fed by the former leat which is still visible, as is the millpond and some of the old sluice systems. The mill has four floors and much of the former workings are intact. The miller's cottage adjoining has many original features. Across a cobbled yard is a stone barn. The property has been divided into lots for sale, the mill and house form part of one lot, the stone barn part of another.

Watts, M., 2005, Ludbrook Mill, Ermington, Devon (Report - Survey). SDV336862.

The present watermill retains a 20ft diameter, pitchback, waterwheel that drove two pairs of millstones through layshaft gearing, which together with other machinery and artefacts connected with milling, are still in situ. The form and layout of the buildings and machinery have certainly altered since the late 18th century when it was stated there were two mill houses and two waterwheels. In 1822 the head of water was described as being used in two falls which implies that two smaller waterwheels were located one above the other. Because of the position of the surviving wheelpit and tailrace, the lower mill is considered to be the building that survives, although the insertion of a single, large diameter wheel and associated machinery appear to have necessitated some substantial rebuilding. The surviving wheel and machinery is considered to date from the last quarter of the 19th century. Technical summary of machinery and list of tenants and millers given.

South Hams District Council, 2007, Ludbrook Mill, 21/1209/07 (Planning Application). SDV338721.

Application for planning permission for internal alterations and repairs, including new stair to serve bed and bathroom, and conversion of extension to form kitchen and dining room. Mill machinery to be retained in situ apart from sack hoist which it is proposed to raise to give more head room. It is also proposed to lower ground floor of mill. See application for plans and sections showing existing and proposed plans together with Design and Access Statement.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV155466Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1906/1969. 6". 125NE(1906).
SDV164469Cartographic: 1841. Tithe Map.
SDV164470List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1984. Ermington. Historic Houses Register. 15.
SDV164471Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1988. 1:25,000.
SDV164475Worksheet: Weddell, P. J.. 1989.
SDV305931Report - non-specific: Bodman, M.. 1998. Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 12.
SDV323835Article in Serial: Unknown. 2004. Step Back in Time at Old Mill. Western Morning News.
SDV325576Report - Interim: Bodman, M.. 2003. Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 94-5.
SDV336862Report - Survey: Watts, M.. 2005. Ludbrook Mill, Ermington, Devon. 158/2006. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV338721Planning Application: South Hams District Council. 2007. Ludbrook Mill. South Hams District Council. A4 Stapled. 21/1209/07.

Associated Monuments

MDV37210Related to: SETTLEMENT in the Parish of Ermington (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV2902 - Unnamed Event
  • EDV4106 - Site Visit to Ludbrook Mill

Date Last Edited:Jul 13 2007 2:08PM