HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV37274
Name:Carpenters Arms, Ilsington

Summary

Originally a 16th century farmhouse for Manor farm, converted by the early 19th century into a public house. Smithy and stables to the rear incorporated into the main building in the 20th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 785 761
Map Sheet:SX77NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishIlsington
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishILSINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77NE/224
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Constructed, XV to XVI - 1500 AD to 1599 AD (Between))
  • PUBLIC HOUSE (Altered, XVIII - 1750 AD? to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Late 19th century historic map shows the Carpenter's Arms (public house).


Department of Environment, 1986, Ilsington, 71 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV282617.

Carpenters Arms, including garden wall on south side. Public house. 16th century, with later additions. Solid rendered walls, probably of stone or cob. Slated roof; extension to north covered with corrugated iron. Thick rendered chimneystack in each gable-wall; smaller rendered stack, probably of brick, at south end of west side-wall.
Original plan uncertain, but probably had two rooms with gable-fireplaces; lean-to added along west side and further addition at north end. Two storeys. Three-window front to east, with one-window extension to north. South gable end front, which now contains the main entrance, is two windows wide. Windows have 19th century wood casements, nearly all of them with glazing bars. Doorway in centre of south gable-wall has 20th century wooden porch.
Garden wall abutting building at south end is included in listing; it is of granite and slatestone rubble and curves inward at south-west corner to admit a low platform, probably the remains of a mounting block.
Interior not inspected, except for the bar occupying the south ground-storey room and the lean-to along west side. Gable fireplace in south room has plain monolithic granite jambs with 20th century lintel; oven in the back has stone-framed opening. Main upper-floor beam is double ogee-moulded on south side with an ogee and two hollows on the north side; step-stops at east end. Against the stack is a half-beam with ogee and hollow moulding, also with step-stops at east end. Within the lean-to, in the east wall, is an old plank door with wooden latch.


Waterhouse, R. E., 1991, The Church Houses of South Devon: an archaeological survey, 32 (Report - Survey). SDV7736.

To the south-east of the churchyard are the remains of the Manor farm, the 16th century house now serving as a public house; the Carpenter's Arms. Much altered, the building retains its parlour/kitchen with moulded ceiling beams and hearth with oven.


Quick, T., 1992, Dartmoor Inns, 15-16 (Monograph). SDV359976.

Thought to originally have been a farmhouse belonging to Court Barton Farm, dating to the 17th century. Unsure when it first became an inn but documentary evidence exists for an auction at the Carpenters Arms on the 15th July 1817. Originally the inn just had the public bar with the entrance to the front. At the rear of the building and running parallel with the church path was a lean-to shed which in the early days was a blacksmith's shop, stables and outside toilet. When the smithy and stables closed, these outbuildings were fully incorporated into the main structure. In 1979 the interior was completely refurbished and inside toilets added and original fireplace restored.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Modern mapping depicts 'The Carpenter's Arms' public house.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 16/01/2017 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

ILSINGTON ILSINGTON SX 87 NW 3/125 Carpenters Arms, including garden - wall on south side - GV II
Public house. C16, with later additions. Solid rendered walls, probably of stone or cob. Slated roof; extension to north covered with corrugated iron. Thick rendered chimneystack in each gable-wall; smaller rendered stack, probably of brick, at south end of west side-wall.
Original plan uncertain, but probably had 2 rooms with gable-fireplaces; lean-to added along west side and further addition at north end. 2 storeys. 3-window front to east, with 1-window extension to north. South gable end front, which now contains the main entrance, is 2 windows wide. Windows have C19 wood casements, nearly all of them with glazing bars. Doorway in centre of south gable-wall has C20 wooden porch. Garden wall abutting building at south end is included in listing; it is of granite and slatestone rubble and curves inward at south-west corner to admit a low platform, probably the remains of a mounting block.
Interior not inspected, except for the bar occupying the south ground-storey room and the lean-to along west side. Gable fireplace in south room has plain monolithic granite jambs with C20 lintel; oven in the back has stone framed opening. Main upper-floor beam is double ogee-moulded on south side with an ogee and 2 hollows on the north side; step-stops at east end. Against the stack is a half-beam with ogee and hollow moulding, also with step-stops at east end. Within the lean-to, in the east wall, is an old plank door with wooden latch.
Listing NGR: SX7858176116.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV282617List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Ilsington. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 71.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89429 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 16/01/2017.
SDV359976Monograph: Quick, T.. 1992. Dartmoor Inns. Dartmoor Inns. Paperback Volume. 15-16.
SDV7736Report - Survey: Waterhouse, R. E.. 1991. The Church Houses of South Devon: an archaeological survey. A4 Stapled + Digital. 32.

Associated Monuments

MDV114831Related to: 1-4 Simms Hill, Ilsington (Building)
MDV8093Related to: Barnlee Lodge, Ilsington (Building)
MDV8092Related to: Manor House, Ilsington (Building)
MDV51792Related to: Site of smithy, Ilsington (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 16 2017 10:29AM