HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV37286
Name:Farm buildings west of Plumley farmhouse, Bovey Tracey

Summary

U-shaped range of farm buildings. 19th century, but incorporating a late 16th or early 17th century barn at west end of southern arm. North and west arms are of stone rubble, south arm has solid walls covered with roughcast; in the case of the early barn the walling material is cob on a stone footing, but the upper part of the south wall has been rebuilt in yellow brick and the north-west corner repaired with concrete block. Slated roofs with late 19th century glazed ridge-tiles, except for a section of corrugated iron at either end of the southern arm; at the west end of this arm, one end of the early barn has been reduced in height and given a lean-to corrugated iron roof. Mostly 2-storeyed, but with single-storeyed sections, including the west end of the early barn. The main feature of the 19th century buildings is a pit for a water-wheel at rear of the western section; iron screw survives inside the building.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 800 801
Map Sheet:SX88SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBovey Tracey
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBOVEY TRACEY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88SW/81/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BARN (Built, XVI to XVII - 1575 AD to 1635 AD (Between))
  • FARM BUILDING (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1899 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1986, Bovey Tracey, 19 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV297013.

Range of buildings about 20 metres west of Plumley Farmhouse.
U-shaped range of farm buildings. 19th century, but incorporating a late 16th or early 17th century barn at west end of southern arm. North and west arms are of stone rubble, south arm has solid walls covered with roughcast; in the case of the early barn the walling material is cob on a stone footing, but the upper part of the south wall has been rebuilt in yellow brick and the north-west corner repaired with concrete block. Slated roofs with late 19th century glazed ridge-tiles, except for a section of corrugated iron at either end of the southern arm; at the west end of this arm, one end of the early barn has been reduced in height and given a lean-to corrugated iron roof.
U-shaped on plan. Mostly 2-storeyed, but with single-storeyed sections, including the west end of the early barn. The latter appears to have been altered in 18th century by building an internal stone wall, dividing off the single-storeyed barn section on the west from the 2-storeyed section on the east; it is not possible to be certain that the whole building was originally single-storeyed. Its north front, towards the courtyard, has a small doorway at left-hand end; plank door with wrought-iron strap-hinges, straight-headed door-frame with pegged joints. At right-hand end is a large doorway with similar frame; pair of plank doors with wrought-iron strap-hinges, the upper part of left-hand door having been replaced in 19th century and made to open independently. The older doors of the pair have early scratched graffiti consisting of initials and dates 1768 and 1779.
Interior has at east end upper floor-beams with run-out stops, possibly re-used. In upper storey of east gable are 2 slit windows (now blocked by a later building) with deeply splayed embrasures; one is just above floor level and the other almost at the apex of the gable. On the outer face the slits have plain rectangular wood frames with pegged joints. 3 roof-trusses survive, the western one built into the stone wall dividing the storeyed section from the barn; the trusses have plain feet sitting directly on the wall-tops, halved dovetailed collars, notched apexes and through purlins.
The main feature of the 19th century buildings is a pit for a water-wheel at rear of the western section; iron screw survives inside the building.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

2/26 Range of buildings about - 20 metres west of Plumley Farmhouse GV II
U-shaped range of farm buildings. C19, but incorporating a late C16 or early C17 barn at west end of southern arm. North and west arms are of stone rubble, south arm has solid walls covered with roughcast; in the case of the early barn the walling material is cob on a stone footing, but the upper part of the south wall has been rebuilt in yellow brick and the north-west corner repaired with concrete block. Slated roofs with late C19 glazed ridge-tiles, except for a section of corrugated iron at either end of the southern arm; at the west end of this arm, one end of the early barn has been reduced in height and given a lean-to corrugated iron roof. U- shaped on plan. Mostly 2-storeyed, but with single-storeyed sections, including the west end of the early barn. The latter appears to have been altered in C18 by building an internal stone wall, dividing off the single-storeyed barn section on the west from the 2-storeyed section on the east; it is not possible to be certain that the whole building was originally single-storeyed. Its north front, towards the courtyard, has a small doorway at left-hand end; plank door with wrought-iron strap-hinges, straight-headed door-frame with pegged joints. At right-hand end is a large doorway with similar frame; pair of plank doors with wrought-iron strap- hinges, the upper part of left-hand door having been replaced in C19 and made to open independently. The older doors of the pair have early scratched graffiti consisting of initials and dates 1768 and 1779. Interior has at east end upper floor-beams with run-out stops, possibly re-used. In upper storey of east gable are 2 slit windows (now blocked by a later building) with deeply splayed embrasures; one is just above floor level and the other almost at the apex of the gable. On the outer face the slits have plain rectangular wood frames with pegged joints. 3 roof-trusses survive, the western one built into the stone wall dividing the storeyed section from the barn; the trusses have plain feet sitting directly on the wall-tops, halved dovetailed collars, notched apexes and through purlins. The main feature of the C19 buildings is a pit for a water-wheel at rear of the western section; iron screw survives inside the building.
Listing NGR: SX8004580156

Sources / Further Reading

SDV297013List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Bovey Tracey. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 19.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89439 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV97607Part of: Plumley Farmstead, Bovey Tracey (Monument)
MDV37285Related to: Cottage north-west of Plumley farmhouse, Bovey Tracey (Building)
MDV37284Related to: Plumley farmhouse, Bovey Tracey (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 13 2017 3:39PM