HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV37293
Name:Linhays and barn north-west of Bullaton farmhouse

Summary

Early 19th century threshing barn with root store, lean-to cattle shed and horse engine-house at the south-western end of the suite of buildings and linhays, cart shed and granary at the north-eastern end, which is on a different axis. Apart from the horse engine-house, which remains a ruin located on the northern side, the entire group of buildings was substantially repaired and rebuilt in the early 1990s.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 801 820
Map Sheet:SX88SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBovey Tracey
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBOVEY TRACEY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 1321520
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88SW/40/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 84446

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LINHAY (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1850 AD (Between))
  • THRESHING BARN (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1850 AD (Between))

Full description

1840, Tithe Map (Cartographic). SDV339770.

Barn with engine house, lean-to cattle shed, large linhay and the granary and cart shed extension is depicted on the 1840 Tithe Map of Bullaton farm.


Griffiths, D. M., 1991, Annotated 1880s map of Bullaton Farm (Cartographic). SDV299702.

Shown on map of 1889. (Annotated from south-north as ‘threshing barn, linhay and granary’). Other details: In parish file - annotations thought to be by DMG.


Thorp, J. + Cox, J., 1994, Bullaton Farm, Bovey Tracey, 30-35 (Report - Assessment). SDV347253.

The south-western end of this building is the threshing barn. Earlier masonry remains indicate a previous building although it is not possible to establish the details of this phase. The barn has an irregular plan and the western end of the barn is deeply terraced into the hillslope; this has also been used to create a root store or meal house blow the floor level of the barn. On the front (southern) side is a lean-to cattle shed and on the north side are the remains of a horse engine-house.
The large linhay, stable and calves house adjoins the threshing barn but has a lower roofline and has been constructed on a slightly different axis. The building is constructed from stone rubble with a replacement corrugated iron roof and weatherboarding at the front of the loft. The authors argue this building was built in the early 19th century as a cattle linhay (open at the front) and was adapted for use as a stable (as noted in the 1919 sale particulars).
At the eastern end is the cart linhay and granary, which have a lower roof level again. It is a rebuilt open-fronted linhay with 2-bays and a weatherboarded loft, identified as a granary due to its internal plastering and external stairs at the gable end.
The barn, lean-to cattle shed, linhays and granary were extensively repaired in 1991 by Bucknall and Company, rebuilding and re-roofing the 19th century remains.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Linhays and barn, dating from the 18th to early 19th century. Granite rubble construction, the linhay has granite posts and weatherboarding. Slate roofs with clay ridge-tiles, the barn partly covered with corrugated iron. The group consists of a long linhay in the centre with a smaller linhay at the north-east end and a barn at south-west end. The barn has a lean-to against part of its south-east side and the ruins of a rounded horse-engine house on the north-west side. The longer linhay has five rough granite posts, the spaces between filled with later rubble walling. The upper storey is faced with weatherboarding; its roof-trusses have plain principal rafters with the collars pegged to their faces. The smaller linhay, which appears to be a later addition, has only one granite post in the ground storey; against the gable is a flight of stone steps leading to the upper storey. The barn has large opposing doorways on each side; the roof is similar to that of the linhay, but with scissor-bracing. Included for group value. Other details: Listed Building number: 84446.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV299702Cartographic: Griffiths, D. M.. 1991. Annotated 1880s map of Bullaton Farm. Ordnance Survey Map. Digital.
SDV339770Cartographic: 1840. Tithe Map. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #89445 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV347253Report - Assessment: Thorp, J. + Cox, J.. 1994. Bullaton Farm, Bovey Tracey. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K405. A4 Comb Bound. 30-35.

Associated Monuments

MDV22325Part of: Bullaton Farmstead, Bovey Tracey (Building)
MDV37291Related to: Ash house 40 meters north-east of Bullaton Farmhouse (Monument)
MDV37294Related to: Bullaton farmhouse, Bovey Tracey (Building)
MDV42505Related to: Cart shed 70 meters north-west of Bullaton Farmhouse (Monument)
MDV42504Related to: Cattle shelter 40 meters north-east of Bullaton farmhouse (Monument)
MDV42506Related to: Linhay 60 meters north-west of Bullaton Farmhouse (Monument)
MDV37292Related to: Rickstands 30 meters west of Bullaton farmhouse (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5065 - Assessment of buildings at Bullaton Farm, Bovey Tracey

Date Last Edited:Jun 9 2016 11:44AM