HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV37301
Name:Yarner House, Bovey Tracey

Summary

Large, three storey 17th century of earlier house south of Yarner Wood. Known as 'Chad Wycke' in the late 19th century. Remodelled and considerably enlarged in the 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 775 781
Map Sheet:SX77NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBovey Tracey
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBOVEY TRACEY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77NE/230
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Constructed, XVI to XVII - 1600 AD to 1699 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

House depicted on the late 19th century historic map as 'Chad Wycke'. Shown with range of buildings to the north-west and 'Lawn Tennis Ground' depicted to the south-east.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Yarner' depicted on the early 20th century historic map. Tennis ground appears to have fallen into disuse and several of the smaller buildings to north-west are no longer visible.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Large house, 17th century or earlier, remodelled and considerably enlarged in 19th century. Occupies a prominent site nearly 800 feet above sea-level. Solid, rendered walls. Slated roofs, mostly concealed behind high crenellated parapets. Rendered chimneystacks with 19th century tops, mainly crenellated but some in south-west corner with tapered tops. L-shaped, the old house (which has very thick walls) being contained in a square block at the south-east end. Three storeys.
The old house has a 3-window entrance- front to south-east and a 4-window front of equal quality to north-east. Ground and second-storey windows have decorated stucco friezes and cornices on consoles. Ground-storey windows have mullioned-and-transomed wood casements with two panes per light, while the second and third-storey windows have ordinary small-paned wood casements. In the north-east front the left-hand window in each of the second and third storeys differs in having small panes with a margin of quarter-panes. In centre of south-east front is a single-storeyed entrance-porch with flat, parapeted roof; chamfered, round-headed granite doorway, probably of 17th century. The north-east front has a projecting chimneystack with offsets, placed between the two left-hand windows. The 19th century addition, which more than doubles the size of the house, adjoins the old house on the north-west and is similar to it only in having the same crenellated parapet and chimney-tops. The windows are much larger and have fewer glazing-bars; there is an entrance-porch at the south-east end.
Interior: the two north-east rooms on each of the ground and second storeys have chamfered beams with scroll-stops (where the beam-ends are exposed). This implies that the 17th century the house was 3-storeyed and (in Devon) suggests that the building was of more than farmhouse status; it is impossible to be certain because the roof has been rebuilt in the 19th century. Other early features are likely to be concealed under plaster. The 19th century interior details are not of great interest. The added wing contains a large plain wooden staircase and two papier mache ceilings in neo-Elizabethan style.
Little is known of the history of the house. The Burnet Morris index quotes the will of Moses Stoneham of Yarner (d.1678) 'in which he says that he had built a new house'; Stoneham, the second son of a Norfolk rector, was born circa 1638 and came to Devon between 1650-7. The earliest title deed of 1706 shows the Yarner estate being sold for the large sum of £1196; by 1829 it contained 500 acres. At the end of the 19th century it passed to (Sir) Harry Eve, M.P. for Ashburton and later a senior judge in the Chancery Division. However, the 1918 sale catalogue, while referring to new outbuildings of 1896 and 1908, makes no mention of alteration to the house. Sources: Burnet Morris index is Exeter Westcountry Studies Library. Devon Record Office: 1477M/T1-56, E1-2; 547 B/P1783. Other details: LB UID: 84474.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #89450 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 9 2016 11:47AM