HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV37381
Name:Farmstead at Morwellham

Summary

A group of farm buildings, built round a cobbled yard during the 19th century, to the north of Morwellham Quay. They include a barn, stables and cartshed but no farmhouse.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 443 698
Map Sheet:SX46NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX46NW/536
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 94068

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Map object based on this Source.


Gaskell-Brown, C., 1977, Morwellham: An Archaeological Survey, 33 (Report - Survey). SDV344219.

A group of farm outbuildings built round a cobbled yard, at several dates in the 19th century. They include a waterwheel which powered a thresher, and north of the buildings is a group of staddle stones. There is no farmhouse.


Department of Environment, 1987, Tavistock Hamlets, 110C (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV221830.

Barn, cartshed and stables at Morwellham Farm including launder to the north-west. Barn, cartshed and stable range. Circa mid 19th century. Local shale rubble, slate with gabled ends. L-shaped on plan with a barn at the left end, a 3-bay cart-shed in the centre, and stables in a projecting wing to the right. One storey barn to left with steps up to wide doorway with double doors and lean-to shed on left of front. At the centre a three-bay open-fronted cartshed with two monolithic granite square posts with large square granite lintels, and with three loft openings above with slatted louvres. Projecting gable of stables to right with ground floor window, loft opening and ventilation slat above in the gable, and a doorway in the left hand return. At rear opposing barn doorway on right and loft doorways over cartshed and stables to left. At the far right end five rectangular slate rubble piers carry the launder which supplies the water wheel inside the barn. Interior at the left (wet) end inside the barn is an overhot coater wheel with rim drive and a wooden chaff conveyor. The roof retains its 19th century pegged and bolted trusses.


Dyer, M. J. + Manning, P. T., 1998, Objective 5B: Lower Tamar Valley Recreation and Land Management Iinitiative: Cultural Heritage Appraisal, 39-40 (Report - non-specific). SDV319814.


Buck, C., 2003, Morwellham & Newquay, Devon (Report - non-specific). SDV241179.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Map object based on this Source.


Waterhouse, R., 2017, The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology, 286, figs 8.56-8.58 (Monograph). SDV361789.

Morwellham Farm had been built as an outfarm of Morwell Barton in the late 18th century, but became a farm in its own right in 1802. It was rebuilt by the Bedford Estate as part of their Estate Farms updating scheme, probably between 1854-57. The building were developed into a small model farm, with typical use of cut granite for door and window lintels, jambs and thresholds (fig 8.57).
An arm of the Morwellham Western Leat system approached the farm from the north as a launder on a series of stone piers (fig 8.58). This served an 18 foot diameter by 3 foot breast overshot wheel, which survives in a stone walled chamber within the west end of the older threshing barn, with a rim drive to a threshing and winnowing machine within the barn immediately to its east. For a short period in the 1980s it was restored to working order. This is the only estate farm (to Waterhouse's knowledge) that has retained its water wheel and any of the machinery that it drove.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV221830List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Tavistock Hamlets. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 110C.
SDV241179Report - non-specific: Buck, C.. 2003. Morwellham & Newquay, Devon. Cornwall Archaeological Unit Report. 2003R058. Digital + A4.
SDV319814Report - non-specific: Dyer, M. J. + Manning, P. T.. 1998. Objective 5B: Lower Tamar Valley Recreation and Land Management Iinitiative: Cultural Heritage Appraisal. Exeter Archaeology Report. 98.60. A4 Stapled + Digital. 39-40.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV344219Report - Survey: Gaskell-Brown, C.. 1977. Morwellham: An Archaeological Survey. A4 Stapled + Digital. 33.
SDV361789Monograph: Waterhouse, R.. 2017. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. Paperback Volume. 286, figs 8.56-8.58.

Associated Monuments

MDV123232Related to: Tavistock Canal, Main record (Monument)
MDV124307Related to: Western leat at Morwellham Quay (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 10 2019 1:27PM