HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV37775
Name:Lake's Cottage and Old Slade Cottage, Hennock

Summary

Pair of cottages, formerly a farmhouse dating to the 16th century earlier; later additions to right and at rear. Parts of the building have been rebuilt after a fire in 20th century. Rendered, solid walls. Asbestos-slated roofs, previously thatched. Basically a 3-room and through-passage plan, probably extended at left-hand end. Lake's Cottage has a newel stair, now blocked in, between the stack and the front wall and a complete stud-and-panel screen with chamfered studs.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 830 809
Map Sheet:SX88SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishHennock
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishHENNOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88SW/95
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XV to XVI - 1500 AD to 1600 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Long rectangular building shown on 19th century Tithe Map with two buildings extending to the east. The Apportionment lists Lakes Farm in several parts with Field Number 795 as 'House, Courtlage & c' and Field Number 794 as 'Garden Part Orchard'.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Row of four adjoining buildings shown on 19th century map with an extension to the east of the southernmost building.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Four adjoining buildings shown on early 20th century map.


Department of Environment, 1986, Hennock, 101 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV299469.

Hennock Lake's Cottage (formerly listed as Lakes Farmhouse) and Old Slade Cottage.
Pair of cottages, formerly a farmhouse. 16th century or possibly earlier; later additions to right and at rear. Parts of the building have been rebuilt after a fire in 20th century. Rendered, solid walls. Asbestos-slated roofs, previously thatched. On ridge, off-centre to right, a granite ashlar chimneystack (heating former hall) with thatch weatherings and tapered crenellated top. In front wall, off-centre to left, a projecting chimneystack (probably heating the former parlour) with offsets and a later rendered brick shaft. Another rendered stack, probably 19th century, stands on the ridge in left-hand gable.
Plan: Basically a 3-room and through-passage plan, probably extended at left-hand end.
Exterior: two storeys, with single-storeyed garage block to right. 5-window front. In second bay from the right is a 2-storeyed entrance-porch, probably timber-framed. The ground storey is open, supported at the front by 2 20th century wooden posts. Front door at rear of porch is 20th century, but set in a late 16th century or early 17th century chamfered wood frame with hollow outer moulding; straight-headed except for a small cranked arch in the centre. Upper storey has a 3-light wood casement window with 3 panes per light: 20th century imitation timber-framed gable, formerly hipped. In left-hand bay of ground storey a 20th century door (serving old slade cottage) with a single-storey gabled porch of similar date. To left of the 2-storeyed entrance porch in ground storey is a 4-pane wood casement window; to left of that again are two further wood casement windows of different sizes, each of two lights with 3 panes per light. To right of porch is a similar 3-light window, but with a single sheet of glass and top-hung ventilator in centre light. In the second storey the 3 windows to the left of the porch have 2-light wood casements, each light with 3 panes. To right of porch is a 20th century 3-light wood casement window with transom window in centre light. In front of the cottages is a garden surrounded by a low roughcast stone wall with a good simple iron gate at the southern end; the garden path of lake's cottage, together with the area under and to the right of the porch, has a surface of large granite cobbles. The garden wall, gate and cobbled surface are included in the listing.
Interior: hall, passage and lower room are comprised in Lake's Cottage (to right). Hall has chamfered centre beam and two half-beams with step-stops; joists also chamfered with step-stops. Fireplace, which backs on to through-passage, has wood lintel with multiple mouldings, possibly of mid-16th century. Owner says there is a newel stair, now blocked in, between the stack and the front wall. At upper end of hall is a complete stud-and-panel screen with chamfered studs having diagonal-cut stops; believed by owner to have been moved from lower side of through-passage. In second storey the lower parts of two side pegged jointed cruck trusses are exposed, the upper sides of the purlins chamfered with run out stops. Apex of roof not inspected. None of the interior of Old Slade Cottage (the parlour end) was inspected, except for the right-hand ground storey room (seen through window), which has a chamfered beam and exposed joists. The reverse of the hall screen, already described, is concealed by plastered concrete blocks.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Two adjoining buildings shown on modern mapping. These appear to incorporate the three northern buildings shown on earlier maps.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Lake's Cottage (formerly listed as Lakes Farmhouse) and Old Slade Cottage. Pair of cottages, formerly a farmhouse. Built in the 16th century or possibly earlier; later additions to right and at rear. Parts of the building have been rebuilt after a fire in the 20th century. Rendered, solid walls. Asbestos-slated roofs, previously thatched. On ridge, off-centre to right, a granite ashlar chimneystack (heating former hall) with thatch weatherings and tapered crenellated top. In front wall, off-centre to left, a projecting chimneystack (probably heating the former parlour) with offsets and a later rendered brick shaft. Another rendered stack, probably 19th century, stands on the ridge in left-hand gable. Basically a three room and through-passage plan, probably extended at left-hand end. Two storeys, with single-storeyed garage block to right. Five window front. In second bay from the right is a two storeyed entrance porch, probably timber-framed. The ground storey is open, supported at the front by two 20th century wooden posts. Front door at rear of porch is 20th century, but set in a late 16th or early 17th century chamfered wood frame with hollow outer moulding; straight-headed except for a small cranked arch in the centre. Upper storey has a 3-light wood casement window with 3 panes per light: 20th century imitation timber-framed gable, formerly hipped. In left-hand bay of ground storey a 20th century door (serving Old Slade Cottage) with a single-storey gabled porch of similar date. To left of the 2-storeyed entrance porch in ground storey is a 4-pane wood casement window; to left of that again are two further wood casement windows of different sizes, each of 2 lights with 3 panes per light. To right of porch is a similar 3-light window, but with a single sheet of glass and top-hung ventilator in centre light. In the second storey the three windows to the left of the porch have 2-light wood casements, each light with 3 panes. To right of porch is a 20th century 3-light wood casement window with transom window in centre light. In front of the cottages is a garden surrounded by a low roughcast stone wall with a good simple iron gate at the southern end; the garden path of Lake's Cottage, together with the area under and to the right of the porch, has a surface of large granite cobbles. The garden wall, gate and cobbled surface are included in the listing.
Interior: hall, passage and lower room are comprised in Lake's Cottage (to right). Hall has chamfered centre beam and two half-beams with step-stops; joists also chamfered with step-stops. Fireplace, which backs on to through-passage, has wood lintel with multiple mouldings, possibly of mid 16th century. Owner says there is a newel stair, now blocked in, between the stack and the front wall. At upper end of hall is a complete stud-and-panel screen with chamfered studs having diagonal-cut stops; believed by owner to have been moved from lower side of through-passage. In second storey the lower parts of two side pegged jointed cruck trusses are exposed, the upper sides of the purlins chamfered with run out stops. Apex of roof not inspected. None of the interior of Old Slade Cottage (the parlour end) was inspected, except for the right-hand ground storey room (seen through window), which has a chamfered beam and exposed joists. The reverse of the hall screen, already described, is concealed by plastered concrete blocks.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV299469List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Hennock. Historic Houses Register. Hard copy. 101.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89608 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV108444Part of: Lakes Farmstead, Hennock (Monument)
MDV118401Related to: The former Union Inn, Hennock (Building)
MDV37776Related to: Weavers Hill, Hennock (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 27 2017 3:57PM