HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV37786
Name:Warmhill farmhouse, Hennock

Summary

Now divided into two separate houses, Warmhill Farmhouse dates to the late 16th or 17th century with later additions, although it is possible that the core of the house is medieval. The roof has been almost completely rebuilt but one possibly medieval and smoke-blackened truss survives.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 834 803
Map Sheet:SX88SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHennock
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishHENNOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88SW/48/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Built, XVI to XVII - 1501 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1986, Hennock (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV299469.

Warmhill Farmhouse (formerly listed as Warmhill). Farmhouse, now divided into 2 separate houses. Late 16C, or 17C with later additions; core of the house may be late medieval. Solid, roughcast walls. Concrete-tiled roofs. Four chimneystacks. Three room and through passage plan with parlour at south end and former kitchen at north end. Two storeys, with single-storeyed additions. Gabled porch, which seems to be mostly panes. Sash windows. Hall and parlour have ceiling beams with ovolo-mouldings and scroll stops; between them is a plank and muntin screen with similar mouldings and stops on both sides. There are the remains of similar screens on both sides of the through passage. At the lower end, which is now a separate house, the ground storey room has a gable fireplace with plain granite jambs and a chamfered wood lintel having scroll-stops; in the back is a 19C oven with iron door. One room has the remains of a moulded plaster cornice, probably of circa 1700. The roof of whole house has been almost entirely rebuilt in 20C. One truss, possibly medieval and smoke-blackened survives with the hall stack built on to it. The apex is much lower than the present ridge; it has threaded purlins and ridge-piece with a triangular strengthening-piece at the apex. Another early truss survives at the rear of the projection on the west side.


Exeter Archaeology, 2002, Archaeological Assessment of Tottiford to Newton Abbot Trunk Main, 7 (Report - Assessment). SDV281233.

Warmhill farmhouse is divided into two dwellings


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.


Historic England, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV358087.

Warmhill Farmhouse. Farmhouse, now divided into 2 separate houses. Late C16 or C17 with later additions; core of the house may be late medieval. Solid, roughcast walls. Concrete-tiled roofs. 4 chimneystacks. In right-hand gable a projecting stack with C19 rendered shaft on top. On centre of ridge a granite ashlar stack (heating former hall) with thatch weatherings and tapered top. At left-hand end of ridge, next to the cross-wing, another large, plain granite ashlar stack. On gabled projection to right of front door, at the right-hand corner, a small rendered stack, probably C19. 3-room and through-passage plan with parlour at upper (south) end and former kitchen at lower (north) end. Abutting lower end on north is a cross-wing, projecting forward and back; it seems to have had a purely service function. In front of hall is a deep late C16 or C17 projection with a lean-to stair turret, probably of similar date, on its right-hand side; at rear of through-passage is a porch with chamber over, also of late C16 or C17. On south-east side of cross-wing is a single-storey range, possibly of C17 or C18 date, with a C20 extension on the east. 2 storeys, with single-storeyed additions. Front (west) elevation consists of the cross-wing to left, with 1 window in each storey; a central section, 2 windows wide, with door to through-passage on right; the gabled projection to right of this, with 1 window in each storey; and a further section to the right again, including the stair turret, with no windows. The windows are mostly C19 wood casements. Cross-wing windows are of 3 lights with 8 panes per light, except for the centre light in second-storey window, which has 2 panes. In the centre section the left-hand window in each storey is of 3 lights, the ground-storey window with 4 panes per light and the second-storey window with 8 panes per light. To right of ground storey is the late C16 por C17 front door. This is a plank door with moulded and studded ribs making up 3 rows of 4 panels each; 2 contemporary; wrought-iron strap-hinges having fleurs-de-lis terminals running under the ribs. Old wrought- iron knocker with a pair of hearts. Door-frame is ovolo-moulded with elaborated scroll-stops, the head of the frame enriched with simple dog-tooth carving; lintel of doorway is ovolo-moulded with step-stops. Gabled porch, which seems to be mostly C20. Above it in second storey is a small, single-light wood casement window with 2 panes. The projection to right of door is gabled, having a small C20 window in ground storey and a late C16 or C17 wooden oriel window in second storey. The oriel has a moulded base carried on 3 carved brackets. The upper part has ovolo-moulded mullions, with 3 lights at the front and 1 in each of the canted sides; glazing is C19, with 2 panes per light. The left-hand side of the projecting wing has a 2- light wood casement in ground storey with 2 panes per light; to left of it a C20 glazed door. The stair turret has a 6-pane sash to the south. Rear elevation has mostly early or mid C19 6-paned wood sash windows. The porch at rear of through- passage has oriel window in second storey like that at the front; the ground storey has been enclosed in C20, the posts at the front being replaced by 2 wooden screws from cider presses. Plank door at rear of passage, with wrought-iron strap-hinges; door-frame is ovolo-moulded with raised run-out stops, the head of the frame being carved with dog-tooth ornament like that at the front. Interior: hall and parlour have ceiling-beams with ovolo-mouldings and scroll- stops; between them is a plank-and-muntin screen with similar mouldings and stops on both sides. There are the remains of similar screens on both sides of the through-passage. Most of the hall side of the passage, however, is taken up by the rear of the hall stack; this is of granite ashlar with chamfered plinth and cornice. The door from hall to passage (moved from first floor) is late C16 or C17 with 3 tall moulded panels. On the second storey) the doorway to the room over the east porch, and one other doorway, have ovolo-moulded door-frames with notched scroll-stops. The doorway at the head of the staircase on the west side also has an ovolo-moulded frame, but with tiny vase-stops. In the corridor is a Cl7 plank door with scratch mouldings on the edges of the panels and wrought-iron butter- fly hinges. At the lower end, which is now a separate house, the ground-storey room has a gable fireplace with plain granite jambs and a chamfered wood lintel having scroll-stops; in the back is a C19 oven with iron door. The second-storey room above this has a wood bolection-moulded chimneypiece with moulded cornice of circa 1700; C19 cast-iron hob grate inside. Room has remains of a moulded plaster cornice, probably also of circa 1700. The roof of whole house has been almost entirely rebuilt in C20. 1 truss, possibly medieval and smoke-blackened survives with the hall stack built on to it. The apex is much lower than the present ridge; it has threaded purlins and ridge-piece with a triangular strengthening-piece at the apex. Another early truss survives at the rear of the projection on the west side.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV281233Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2002. Archaeological Assessment of Tottiford to Newton Abbot Trunk Main. Exeter Archaeology Report. 02.78. A4 Stapled + Digital. 7.
SDV299469List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Hennock. Historic Houses Register. Hard copy.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89615 ]
SDV358087National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV118825Part of: Great Warmhill, Hennock (Monument)
MDV37770Related to: Farmhouse at Little Warmhill, Hennock (Building)
MDV37785Related to: Gateposts at Warmhill Farmhouse, Hennock (Building)
MDV118828Related to: Warmhill Barton / Vine Cottage, Hennock (Building)
MDV37769Related to: Warmhill Cottage, Hennock (Building)
MDV15985Related to: Warmhill settlement, Hennock (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV156 - Archaeological Assessment of Tottiford to Newton Abbot Trunk Main

Date Last Edited:Mar 28 2017 11:53AM