HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV37811
Name:Park Bungalow, formerly Silverton Park Stables

Summary

Grade II listed farmhouse, formerly the stable block to Silverton Park (demolished 1900). Designed by James Knowles for the fourth Earl of Egremont.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 970 026
Map Sheet:SS90SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSilverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSILVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS90SE/3/3

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • STABLE (Built, XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

OS CITING HOSKINS AND CHALK, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV56353.

Nothing is visible of original house, except one 'classical' stables (os citing hoskins and chalk).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV56355.

Chalk, l. J. /dcnq/20(1938-1939)330/'cross' place names near silverton.


Western Morning News, 1959, The Ruin, Silverton (Article in Serial). SDV361457.

One-storeyed square, with pedimented centre motifs. It was plastered but the plaster has fallen off. The coach house and stables were mistaken for Silverton House itself in this description.


The Independent, 1988, Gazette (Article in Serial). SDV216880.

Silverton Park coach House in Devon, which has been bought by the Landmark Trust. It was designed in 1839 by architect James Knowles, who later designed the Grosvenor House Hotel in London. The commission came from the fourth Earl of Egremont who, having not inherited Petworth House, in Sussex, from his uncle, hoped to make up for his loss with a grand neoclassical building. He died before the ambitious plan was completed. The house was demolished in 1900 and the coach house, which housed about 30 horses and 16 grooms, changed into a dwelling. The coach house is in such a state of dilapidation that it will take between 18 months and two years to restore; the original metallic sand cement rendering which has all but disappeared, will not be replaces. It stands in the 4.78 acres of the old park, and when completed, will accommodate eight people.


Child, P., 1996, Silverton Park Stables (Correspondence). SDV347014.

A most impressive structure in an eccentric combination of local stone and brick. It is a significant piece of polite architecture in a neo-classical style, a comparitive rarity in a county with few large estates. Presumably by the architect James Knowles.


The Landmark Trust, 2008, J T Knowles and Silverton Park Stables (Un-published). SDV344630.

The unfinished stable block at Silverton is one of only two buildings that remain of the early work of J. T. Knowles (senior). Built of brick, on a monumental scale, it is a rare survival of his work.


The Landmark Trust, 2010, The Landmark Trust (Website). SDV344632.

Other details: Photographs.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

The Park Farmhouse
Grade: II
List Entry Number: 1325795
Date first listed: 11th June 1986

Farmhouse, formerly the stable block to Silverton Park (demolished 1900). 1839-45; designed by James Knowles for the fourth Earl of Egremont. Brick, on random rubble volcanic trap plinth with Portland stone dressing. Hipped slate roofs. Neo-classical style. Quadrangular, square ground plan with an extension to the south which rises abruptly above steeply falling slope, with opposed pedimented vehicular entrance blocks to east and west both of two-storeys, a matching storage block to the north, all set centrally in their respective ranges; the remainder all of one storey.

The lower ranges with hipped roofs screened by moulded parapet wall with widely-spaced merlins; the parapet has been removed from the north section. Entrance blocks, Portland stone pediment, moulded brick cornice; and with paired plain brick pilasters flanking square-headed entrance; the third pedimented block with access to ground and first floor, ventilators and nesting boxes, the roof flat and lowered.

Single storeyed ranges with tall windows under floating cornices, many of them blocked but where intact, with twelve-pane unhorned sashes. Internal doorways (some blocked) with brick ashes; sash window to internal face of dwelling which occupies south-east corner.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV216880Article in Serial: The Independent. 1988. Gazette. The Independent. Photocopy + Digital.
SDV344630Un-published: The Landmark Trust. 2008. J T Knowles and Silverton Park Stables. A4 Stapled.
SDV344632Website: The Landmark Trust. 2010. The Landmark Trust. www.landmarktrust.org.uk. Website.
SDV347014Correspondence: Child, P.. 1996. Silverton Park Stables. Letter from Historic Environment Service. A4 Single Sheet.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89624 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV361457Article in Serial: Western Morning News. 1959. The Ruin, Silverton. Western Morning News. Photocopy + Digital.
SDV56353Migrated Record: OS CITING HOSKINS AND CHALK.
SDV56355Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 3 2019 9:49AM