HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV37816
Name:The Old Rectory, Bridford

Summary

Former rectory with 15th century or earlier origins, substantially remodelled in the early 19th century and altered in the 1950s. Whitewashed rendered stone; tiled roof (formerly thatched) with sprocketed eaves, semi-conical at the left end, gabled at the right end. Overall U plan. The origins of the house are a probably 15th century or earlier open hall of which only one end (the right end), survives with the remnants of the through passage. The house was thoroughly remodelled for the Reverend Carrington in the early 19th century as an L plan arrangement. In the 1950s the thatch was replaced with tile and the rear lateral stack of the centre room dismantled. Renovations exposed an important painted plank and muntin screen in the right end room. House has an important painted screen and part of an unusually early medieval roof in a remodelled house.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 814 862
Map Sheet:SX88NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBridford
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBRIDFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88NW/142
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • VICARAGE (Altered, XIV to XIX - 1400 AD to 1835 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1988, Bridford, 40 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV350338.

The Old Rectory. Former rectory. 15th century or earlier origins, substantially remodelled in the early 19th century and altered in the 1950s. Whitewashed rendered stone; tiled roof (formerly thatched) with sprocketed eaves, semi-conical at the left end, gabled at the right end; rear lateral stack to main block enclosed by rear left wing, front right lateral stack (shaft dismantled), end stack to rear right wing.
Overall U plan. The origins of the house are a probably 15th century or earlier open hall of which only one end survives with the remnants of the through passage. This was probably the hall. Two storeys. The lower end single storeyed under a lower roofline. Asymmetrical 2 window front. The putative through passage retains a cross beam with mortises for a former screen. The rest of the house retains some good features from the early 19th century remodelling: a stick baluster stair with a wreathed mahogany handrail; a decorated plaster ceiling frieze in the left hand room with egg and dart moulding and a fine first floor chamber above with a coved plaster ceiling with a decorated plaster frieze. The 15th century smoke-blackened roof over the right end survives below a later roof structure. It has two face pegged jointed cruck roof trusses with a square-set ridge supported on a saddle, sooted rafters also survive. The roof trusses over the higher end are mostly 19th century but one earlier pegged truss may be 17th century. The right end room has a notable painted medieval plank and muntin screen sited about 2 metres above ground level. See list for full details.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Building is depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 14/03/2017 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

BRIDFORD BRIDFORD SX 88 NW 2/49 The Old Rectory 11.11.52 GV II
Former rectory. C15 or earlier origins, substantially remodelled in the early C19 and altered in the 1950s. Whitewashed rendered stone; tiled roof (formerly thatched) with sprocketed eaves, semi-conical at the left end, gabled at the right end; rear left lateral stack to main block enclosed by rear left wing, front right lateral stack (shaft dismantled), end stack to rear right wing.
Plan: Overall U plan. The origins of the house are a probably C15 or earlier open hall of which only one end (the right end), survives with the remnants of the through passage. This was probably the hall. The house was thoroughly remodelled for the Reverend Carrington in the early C19 as an L plan arrangement, 2 heated rooms to the left, divided by an entrance into a stair hall, and a library wing at right angles to the left hand room. The lower end appears to have remained single-storey throughout, retaining its medieval roof but with a front lateral stack added. A rear right service wing is probably C18 in origin but heavily remodelled in the C19 and C20. In the 1950s the thatch was replaced with tile and the rear lateral stack of the centre room dismantled. Renovations exposed an important painted plank and muntin screen in the right end room.
Exterior: 2 storeys to the left, the lower end single-storey under a lower roofline. Asymmetrical 2 window front, the 2 windows to the single-storey right end. The main block has an approximately central C19 porch with timber Tuscan columns and a 6-panel 2-leaf front door; front elevation blind to the left of the porch; half-glazed C20 door to putative former passage at right hand of main block. fenestration of C19 or C20 timber casements with glazing bars to the first floor, timber sashes with glazing bars to the ground floor. 2 C20 timber casements to the right end, one on either side of the truncated stack. The left return of the main block has a 2-storey canted bay window fenestrated with 4-pane timber sashes, similar windows to the library.
Interior: The right end room has a notable painted medieval plank and muntin screen, sited about 2 metres above ground level: E. Clive Rouse considered it to be in situ. A doorway has been inserted in the right hand panel with steps up, but of the remaining 8 panels, 6 retain figure paintings, the figures holding lances with penons. Rouse suggested that the iconography is the Elizabethan Nine Worthies with parallels at Harrington Hall and Amersham, Bucks, making this "amongst the earliest sets of Worthies in the country". The putative through passage retains a crossbeam with mortises for a former screen. The rest of the house retains some good features from the early C19 remodelling: a stick baluster stair with a wreathed mahogany handrail; a decorated plaster ceiling frieze in the left hand room with egg and dart moulding and a fine first floor chamber above with a coved plaster ceiling with a decorated plaster frieze. Roof: The C15 smoke-blackened roof over the right end survives below a later roof structure. It has 2 face-pegged jointed cruck roof trusses with a square-set ridge supported on a saddle, sooted rafters also survive. The roof trusses over the higher end are mostly C19 but one earlier pegged truss may be C17. The Reverend Carrington, Rector of Bridford 1815-42, wrote "Parochiales Bridfordii" in MS, this includes an account of the Rectory as he found it. An important painted screen and part of an unusually early medieval roof in a remodelled house. E. Clive Rouse,"Bridford Rectory, Devon: Note on a painted screen or Panelling", typescript dated 1955 deposited in National Monument Record.
Listing NGR: SX8147186218

Sources / Further Reading

SDV350338List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Bridford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 40.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89628 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 14/03/2017.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5623 - Dendrochronological Research in Devon, Phase II

Date Last Edited:Mar 14 2017 2:19PM