HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV37865
Name:Farmhouse, Laployd Barton

Summary

17th century farmhouse with late medieval origins at Laployd Barton. Impressive, well-preserved building with associated stable block to the north and barn building to the east.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 800 859
Map Sheet:SX88NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBridford
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBRIDFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88NW/144
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 85558

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Constructed, XV to XVII - 1401 AD? to 1699 AD (Between))

Full description

Hoskins, W. G., 1952, Untitled Source, 349 (Monograph). SDV162913.


Conway, S., 2002, Conservation Treatment Report, 3 (Report - Scientific). SDV347241.

Conservation work on 6/7 painted heraldic shields at Laployd Barton, thought to date to the mid-17th century which have been obscured under layers of limewash and distemper. It was not possible to distinguish any designs on the shields, which were protected prior to redecoration.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Farmhouse with probable medieval origins, considerably rebuilt subsequently and remodelled, partly re-roofed and extended in the 17th century; some 20th century internal alterations. Roughly coursed granite rubble with a thatched roof (formerly slated), gabled at ends; axial granite stack with granite shaft and projecting left end granite stack with rendered shaft to main block, end stacks to wings.
Plan: U plan with three ranges round a narrow courtyard; main block to the east, formerly a 2 or 3-room and through passage plan parallel kitchen wing behind to the west; parlour wing to the left (south). The north end of the courtyard was formerly closed "by a low passage" (old list description) which presumably linked the main block and kitchen with a covered way and created an inner service courtyard. The main range is probably medieval in origin but remodelled in the 17th century with evidence of considerable rebuilding in the masonry. The through passage is at the right (north) end (the lower end no longer exists), hall stack backing on to passage, massive crosswall between inner room and hall; former external stair turret on rear wall of hall now absorbed into larger stair outshut. Evidence of large 17th century heated chamber over hall, subdivided in the 20th century. The parlour wing is 17th century with a 17th century first floor fireplace, ground floor modernized. The parlour wing is linked to the kitchen wing by a lower block; the kitchen may originally have been detached, it is also 17th century with a doorway into the courtyard. The plan form indicates a high status house; a chapel dedicated to St Katherine existed at Laployde in 1409 (Hoskins).
Exterior: two storeys. Asymmetrical four window entrance elevation to east block with evidence of rebuilding at left, remains of granite eaves cornice in centre and to right and regular fenestration. Good oak ovolo-moulded doorframe to through passage at extreme right, relieving arches over two windows to left of door. 19th century 3- and 4-light timber casements with glazing bars. The right return of the block is buttressed, the left return has one first floor and one ground floor timber casement. The south elevation (parlour wing) also shows signs of rebuilding : eaves thatch eyebrowed over two first floor timber casements, one ground floor casement; linking block with kitchen wing set back at left end. The west elevation (kitchen wing) is rendered and has been rebuilt to the left: three first floor 20th century timber casements, one ground floor casement, 20th century door to right; projecting granite stack at left end. Three window courtyard elevation to kitchen wing with a central doorway with a chamfered lintel and replaced jambs. One first floor and two ground floor windows to the courtyard elevation of the parlour wing. The courtyard elevation of the main block has a good wide 17th century chamfered doorframe to the passage, blocked loft doorway above; straight joint to right of doorway; stair outshut at extreme right, one first floor and one ground floor casement between doorway and outshut. The cobbled courtyard retains two granite monoliths which formerly supported a porch to the passage rear door.
Interior: The rear of the hall stack, visible in the passage is granite with a granite cornice, a typical feature of medieval houses in the region. The hall has a granite flag floor, an open fireplace with chamfered granite monolith jambs, a replaced lintel and 19th century bread oven. Roughly chamfered 17th century crossbeams, stops probably concealed behind wall plaster; 17th century chamfered doorframe to former stair turret, similar doorframe above with scroll nick stops. Remnants of a 17th century plaster cornice are visible upstairs with a blocked fireplace to the hall stack fireplace in room above inner room has a granite lintel and a peculiar arrangement of 3 slits in a vertical stone in the hearth, good wide chamfered oak doorframe to this room with scroll stops. The kitchen wing has been modernized but the fireplace survives with a massive chamfered lintel che full width of the building, fireplace partly infilled to accommodate former bread oven. The parlour wing has a 17th century granite chimneypiece with chamfered jambs, a deep low granite lintel and a relieving arch. Roof: The main range has probably 17th century collar rafter roof trusses (it is not clear whether they are crucks) with lap dovetailed collars; the roofspace has been used for accommodation with some 17th century partitioning surviving. The roof trusses over the kitchen wing are similar but are all presumably jointed crucks (one has a peg visible on the face). The trusses over the parlour wing have curved feet and collars mortised into the principals. Accordingly to Hoskins Laployd (formerly Lapflode) "was the seat of the Lapflodes from the time of John until 1523". A high status evolved house with a particularly interesting plan, group value with farm buildings. Other details: Listed Building number: 85558.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV162913Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1952. Devonshire Studies. Unknown. 349.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #89665 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV347241Report - Scientific: Conway, S.. 2002. Conservation Treatment Report. Conway Conservation. 0146. A4 Comb Bound. 3.

Associated Monuments

MDV77102Part of: Laployd Barton Farmstead, Bridford (Building)
MDV37864Related to: Barn east of farmhouse, Laployd Barton (Building)
MDV9497Related to: Flint axe found at Laployd Barton (Find Spot)
MDV9496Related to: Site of chapel, Laployd Barton (Building)
MDV37863Related to: Stable north of Laployd Barton Farmhouse (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5056 - Conservation of wallpaintings, Laployd Barton

Date Last Edited:Jun 9 2016 11:48AM