HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV37935
Name:The Cleave Hotel, Lustleigh

Summary

Originally a 16th century farmhouse, this building became a hotel in the 1920s and later an inn. Constructed from granite rubble, covered with roughcast at the front; the late 19th century rear range is of painted brick. Thatched roof, half-hipped to right; rear range is slated.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 785 812
Map Sheet:SX78SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishLustleigh
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishLUSTLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SE/141
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 84631

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Constructed, XV to XVI - 1500 AD to 1599 AD (Between))
  • HOTEL (Altered, XX - 1920 AD to 1929 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1986, Lustleigh, 132 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV304543.

Cleave Hotel. Public house, formerly a farmhouse. 16th century with late 19th century range at rear. Granite rubble, covered with roughcast at the front; added rear range is of painted brick. Thatched roof, half-hipped to right; rear range is slated. On ridge, slightly off-centre to right, 2 separate granite ashlar chimneystacks with tapered tops; brick stack on left gable. Rear range has red and yellow brick stacks.
Probably a 3-room and through-passage plan originally, although there is now only 1 long room to left of the main entrance. The plan is unusual in that the 'lower room' to right of main entrance seems to have been the hall, judging from the character of its fireplace. It may be that the house has been extended at the left-hand end. 2 storeys.
Irregular 4-window front, with windows at differing levels; all have 19th century wood casements with 3 panes per light. Main doorway, to right, has bead-moulded frame and 4-panel early 18th century door with wrought-iron strap-hinges; raised-and-fielded ovolo-moulded panels. Left-hand doorway, which is probably 19th century, has 4-panel door in bead-moulded frame; 4-pane fanlight, above with old glass. Both doors have 20th century rustic wooden porches. Cobbled surface in front of left-hand two-thirds of building.
Interior: right-hand ground-storey room has large fireplace backing on to passage. Right jamb is a chamfered granite monolith with pyramid stop at the foot; left jamb rebuilt. Heavy wood lintel with chamfer cut away, but at left end a stop, a sort of stepped straight-cut, survives. In left side of fireplace is an oven with ogee-headed stone-framed opening, and shallow granite shelf in front; domed brick interior. Upper floor beams are plastered in, forming a large sunk panel in centre of ceiling, outlined with a moulded plaster cornice. Through-passage is paved with stone slabs. To the right the back of the fireplace in right-hand room (already described) is of granite ashlar with chamfered plinth and cornice. Left-hand room also has fireplace backing on to passage, an extremely unusual arrangement; it has plain stone jambs and a plain wood lintel. The left-hand front window has panelled shutters and window-seat. Rest of interior not inspected.
A barn to the north-west, probably part of the farm buildings, is separately listed.


Quick, T., 1992, Dartmoor Inns, 22-23 (Monograph). SDV359976.

Dates from the 15th century and was originally the main farm building of Lustleigh Farm. Rumoured to have been a consecrated chapel below the roof on the second floor but there is no evidence of this today. The monks attached to Buckfast Abbey used the upstairs room as a place of prayer when they stayed at the inn. In the 1920s the farmhouse became a hotel and finally an inn. The bar also served as a waiting room for travellers using the nearby railway, as the station was only 200 yards away, until it closed in 1961. The open fireplace in the front lounge bar was discovered in the 1950s, revealing an oak beam and bread oven.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Modern map shows The Cleave Hotel.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 16/01/2017 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

LUSTLEIGH LUSTLEIGH SX 7881 - 9/190 Cleave Hotel - 23.8.55 GV II
Public house, formerly a farmhouse. C16 with late C19 range at rear. Granite rubble, covered with roughcast at the front; added rear range is of painted brick. Thatched roof, half-hipped to right; rear range is slated. On ridge, slightly off-centre to right, 2 separate granite ashlar chimneystacks with tapered tops; brick stack on left gable. Rear range has red and yellow brick stacks.
Probably a 3-room and through-passage plan originally, although there is now only 1 long room to left of the main entrance. The plan is unusual in that the 'lower room' to right of main entrance seems to have been the hall, judging from the character of its fireplace. It may be that the house has been extended at the left-hand end. 2 storeys. Irregular 4-window front, with windows at differing levels; all have C19 wood casements with 3 panes per light. Main doorway, to right, has bead-moulded frame and 4-panel early C18 door with wrought-iron strap-hinges; raised-and- fielded ovolo-moulded panels. Left-hand doorway, which is probably C19, has 4- panel door in bead-moulded frame; 4-pane fanlight, above with old glass. Both doors have C20 rustic wooden porches. Cobbled surface in front of left-hand two- thirds of building.
Interior: right-hand ground-storey room has large fireplace backing on to passage. Right jamb is a chamfered granite monolith with pyramid stop at the foot; left jamb rebuilt. Heavy wood lintel with chamfer cut away, but at left end a stop, a sort of stepped straight-cut, survives. In left side of fireplace is an oven with ogee-headed stone-framed opening, and shallow granite shelf in front; domed brick interior. Upper floor beams are plastered in, forming a large sunk panel in centre of ceiling, outlined with a moulded plaster cornice. Through-passage is paved with stone slabs. To the right the back of the fireplace in right-hand room (already described) is of granite ashlar with chamfered plinth and cornice. Left-hand room also has fireplace backing on to passage, an extremely unusual arrangement; it has plain stone jambs and a plain wood lintel. The left-hand front window has panelled shutters and window-seat. Rest of interior not inspected.
A barn to the north-west, probably part of the farm buildings, is separately listed.
Listing NGR: SX7855181277.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV304543List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Lustleigh. Historic Houses Register. 132.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89705 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 16/01/2017.
SDV359976Monograph: Quick, T.. 1992. Dartmoor Inns. Dartmoor Inns. Paperback Volume. 22-23.

Associated Monuments

MDV37936Related to: Barn adjoining the Church House, Lustleigh (Building)
MDV8054Related to: Dartmoor Section of the Moretonhampstead and South Devon Railway (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 16 2017 12:02PM