HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV37968
Name:Manure pit at South Harton Farm, Ilsington

Summary

Manure pit in the farmyard, now used as a fishpond. Possibly originated as a cattle pound. Probably 19th century; it consists of a large round pit enclosed by a granite rubble wall with rounded granite coping.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 767 821
Map Sheet:SX78SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishLustleigh
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishLUSTLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SE/21/5
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • DUNG PIT (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1899 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1986, Lustleigh, 124 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV304543.

Manure pit in centre of South Harton farmyard, at the north-east end. Manure pit, now used as a fishpond. Some believe it originated as a cattle pound. Probably 19th century; it is not shown on the Tithe map of 1838. Large round pit enclosed by a granite rubble wall with rounded granite coping. The present entrance (on the north-west side) appears to be a later insertion; the original entrance (now blocked) is on the north-east side. The manure pit is part of a very good farmyard layout, of which three other buildings are listed.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

LUSTLEIGH SX 78 SE - 1/177 Manure pit in centre of South - Harton Farmyard, at north-east end GV II
Manure pit, now used as a fishpond. Some believe it originated as a cattle pound. Probably C19; it is not shown on the tithe map of 1838. Large round pit enclosed by a granite rubble wall with rounded granite coping. The present entrance (on the north-west side) appears to be a later insertion; the original entrance (now blocked) is on the north-east side. The manure pit is part of a very good farmyard layout, of which 3 other buildings are listed. Source: Lustleigh tithe map in Devon Record Office.
Listing NGR: SX7679682151

Sources / Further Reading

SDV304543List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Lustleigh. Historic Houses Register. 124.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89738 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV77025Part of: South Harton farmstead, Lustleigh (Monument)
MDV37970Related to: Farm buildings at South Harton farm, Lustleigh (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 11 2018 3:32PM