HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV37970
Name:Farm buildings at South Harton farm, Lustleigh

Summary

L-shaped range of 18th and 19th century farm buildings on the north-east and north-west sides of South Harton farmyard, including the front and rear gateways and the linhay attached to the south-west corner of the north-east range.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 767 821
Map Sheet:SX78SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishLustleigh
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishLUSTLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SE/21/3
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARM BUILDING (Built, XVII to XIX - 1700 AD to 1899 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1986, Lustleigh, 123 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV304543.

L-shaped range of buildings on north-east and north-west sides of South Harton farmyard, including the front and rear gateways and the linhay attached to the south-west corner of the north-east range.
Farm buildings. Probably 18th and 19th century; the north-east range is not shown on the Tithe Map of 1838. Granite rubble with corrugated-iron roofs, formerly thatched; north-east range seems to have been designed for cattle on the ground storey with storage lofts above, being interrupted in the middle by a large gateway rising through both storeys.
Externally the range has a fortress-like appearance with slit windows in each storey, those of the upper storey being set immediately below the eaves. There is a solitary full-size window to left of the gateway. The latter has a segmental arch of rough-faced granite with a smooth border and raised keystone. In the south-east gable which, because of the fall in the ground, has a basement storey, is a round-arched doorway with a raised keystone; its lower part is blocked by a large piece of granite, forming a reservoir filled by a stream running down from the north-west end of the farmyard. The inward face of the range, towards the farmyard, has few features, apart from a gateway matching that on the outside and some simple doorways, one with a plank door having old wrought-iron hinges.
Roof has old trusses with collars pegged to the faces of the principal rafters. At right-angles to this range, facing into the farmyard on the south-west, is a linhay built on to an earlier crenellated wall; it has two granite posts at the front and a king-post-and-ridge roof.
The north-west range is in three builds. The two right-hand sections, to the north-east, contain a bank barn; at the rear are two wide doorways entered across a gully by bridges formed of granite lintels, while at the front is a flight of granite steps. The left-hand section has three wide segmental-headed openings in the ground storey, these having heavy voussoirs and raised keystones. To the left of them is a flight of granite steps. The whole north-west range has been re-roofed in 20th century. At right-angles to the north-west end of it is a stone gateway having a 4-centred arch of rough-faced granite. Beyond it, continuing the range to the north-west, is an open-fronted cartshed having a gable window with a cranked head.
The two ranges form the main part of a very good farmyard layout, of which two other buildings and the manure pit are listed.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

LUSTLEIGH SX 78 SE - 1/175 L-shaped range of buildings on - north-east and north-west sides of South Harton Farmyard, including the front and rear gateways and the linhay attached to the south-west corner of the north-east range GV II
Farm buildings. Probably C18 and C19; the north-east range is not shown on the tithe map of 1838. Granite rubble with corrugated-iron roofs, formerly thatched; north-east range seems to have been designed for cattle on the ground storey with storage lofts above, being interrupted in the middle by a large gateway rising through both storeys. Externally the range has a fortress-like appearance with slit windows in each storey, those of the upper storey being set immediately below the eaves. There is a solitary full-size window to left of the gateway. The latter has a segmental arch of rough-faced granite with a smooth border and raised keystone. In the south-east gable which, because of the fall in the ground, has a basement storey, is a round-arched doorway with a raised keystone; its lower part is blocked by a large piece of granite, forming a reservoir filled by a stream running down from the north-west end of the farmyard. The inward face of the range, towards the farmyard, has few features, apart from a gateway matching that on the outside and some simple doorways, 1 with a plank door having old wrought- iron hinges. Roof has old trusses with collars pegged to the faces of the principal rafters. At right-angles to this range, facing into the farmyard on the south-west, is a linhay built on to an earlier crenellated wall; it has 2 granite posts at the front and a king-post-and-ridge roof. The north-west range is in 3 builds. The 2 right-hand sections, to the north-east, contain a bank barn; at the rear are 2 wide doorways entered across a gulley by bridges formed of granite lintels, while at the front is a flight of granite steps. The left-hand section has 3 wide segmental-headed openings in the ground storey, these having heavy voussoirs and raised keystones. To the left of them is a flight of granite steps. The whole north-west range has been re-roofed in C20. At right- angles to the north-west end of it is a stone gateway having a 4-centred arch of rough-faced granite. Beyond it, continuing the range to the north-west, is an open-fronted cartshed having a gable window with a cranked head. The 2 ranges form the main part of a very good farmyard layout, of which 2 other buildings and the manure pit are listed.
Listing NGR: SX7680782170

Sources / Further Reading

SDV304543List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Lustleigh. Historic Houses Register. 123.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89741 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV77025Part of: South Harton farmstead, Lustleigh (Monument)
MDV37969Related to: Cattle building at South Harton, Lustleigh (Building)
MDV37971Related to: Farm building at South Harton farm, Ilsington (Building)
MDV37968Related to: Manure pit at South Harton Farm, Ilsington (Monument)
MDV37972Related to: South Harton Farmhouse, Ilsington (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 11 2018 3:05PM