HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV38005
Name:Wallaford farmhouse, West Buckfastleigh

Summary

Circa late-15th or early-16th century farmhouse. Hall floored and fireplace inserted in late-16th / early-17th century and lower end rebuilt and porch added in 1810. Datestone in gable of porch inscribed "tw 1810". Three rooms and through or cross-passage plan, originally with open hall later floored and lateral stack built on rear of hall, incorporating newel stairs (stack at gable end heating inner room).

Location

Grid Reference:SX 722 658
Map Sheet:SX76NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWest Buckfastleigh
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishBUCKFASTLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX76NW/160
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Constructed, XV to XVI - 1450 AD to 1550 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The late 19th century historic map depicts the house at Wallaford.


Department of Environment, 1986, West Buckfastleigh, 84 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV347601.

Wallaford Farmhouse. Farmhouse. Circa late-15th or early-16th century. Hall floored and fireplace inserted in late-16th / early-17th century and lower end rebuilt and porch added in 1810. Datestone in gable of porch inscribed "tw 1810". Plastered stone rubble. Asbestos slate roof with gabled ends. Rendered chimney stacks.
Three rooms and through or cross-passage plan, originally with open hall later floored and lateral stack built on rear of hall, incorporating newel stairs (stack at gable end heating inner room). In 1810 lower end entirely rebuilt and through passage widened to take stairs and two storey porch added. Later outshuts at rear. The lower end to right rebuilt as full two storeys with lower pitched roof and gabled porch with a reused chamfered granite arch doorway and 1840 datestone in gable. The left hand higher end is one storey and attic with two small gables and a hipped roof porch in the angle with 1840 porch. 20th century casements with leaded panes. At rear large lateral chimney stack incorporating newel stairs with gable over.
Interior: unstopped chamfered ceiling beam in hall. Said to be similar beam in inner room. Lateral hall fireplace with chamfered lintel with step stops. Wall between hall and inner room plastered and possibly connecting timber screen. Solid wall between hall and passage. Early 19th century stairs inserted into widened through passage to form stair hall. Five roof trusses over hall and higher end one smoke-blackened and have morticed apices and morticed collars. Threaded purlins, only one purlin seen at rear of lower end of hall also smoke-blackened. Trusses cut for diagonal ridgepiece which is missing. The rafters are also missing.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Modern map is largely unchanged from the late 19th century historic map depiction of the farmhouse.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 13/02/2017 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

WEST BUCKFASTLEIGH SX 76 NW - 4/150 Wallaford Farmhouse - - II
Farmhouse. Circa late C15 or early C16. Hall floored and fireplace inserted in late C16 early C17 and lower end rebuilt and porch added in 1810. Datestone in gable of porch instribed "TW 1810". Plastered stone rubble. Asbestos slate roof with gabled ends. Rendered chimney stacks.
Three rooms and through or cross-passage plan, originally with open hall later floored and lateral stack built on rear of hall, incorporating newel stairs (stack at gable end heating inner room). In 1810 lower end entirely rebuilt and through passage widened to take stairs and two storey porch added. Later outshuts at rear. The lower end to right rebuilt as full two storeys with lower pitched roof and gabled porch with a reused chamfered granite arch doorway and 1840 datestone in gable. The left hand higher end is one storey and attic with two small gables and a hipped roof porch in the angle with 1840 porch. C20 easements with leaded panes. At rear large lateral chimney stack incorporating newel stairs with gable over.
Interior: Unstopped chamfered ceiling beam in hall. Said to be similar beam in inner room. Lateral hall fireplace with chamfered lintel with step stops. Wall between hall and inner room plastered and possibly connecting timber screen. Solid wall between hall and passage. Early C19 stairs inserted into widened through passage to form stair hall. Five roof trusses over hall and higher end one smoke-blackened and have morticed apices and morticed collars. Threaded purlins, only one purlin seen at rear of lower end of hall also smoke-blackened. Trusses cut for diagonal ridgepiece which is missing. The rafters are also missing.
Listing NGR: SX7221565862

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV347601List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. West Buckfastleigh. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 84.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89758 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 13/02/2017.

Associated Monuments

MDV78049Part of: Wallaford farmstead, West Buckfastleigh (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 13 2017 10:24AM