HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV38060
Name:Three cottages in Lustleigh

Summary

Range containing a house and shop with two cottages; possible a single house originally, but the cottages may have been an early addition intended as a separate dwelling or dwellings. Late 16th or 17th century, with late 19th or early 20th century additions.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 784 812
Map Sheet:SX78SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishLustleigh
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishLUSTLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SE/145
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 84635

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Constructed, XV to XVII - 1500 AD to 1699 AD (Between))
  • SHOP (Altered, XIX - 1850 AD to 1899 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Buildings are shown on the late 19th century historic map.


Department of Environment, 1986, Lustleigh, 136 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV304543.

Stable House Gallery, Spring Cottage and Stable House. Range containing a house and shop with 2 cottages; possible a single house originally, but the cottages may have been an early addition intended as a separate dwelling or dwellings. Late c16 or c17, with late c19 or early c20 additions. Stone rubble, painted at the front, with cob from sill-level in the second storey upwards. Thatched roof. Small rendered chimneystack on left-hand gable, but on ridge off-centre to right and projecting from right-hand gable wall, 2 stone stacks with granite ashlar tops; these have weatherings and caps made up of projecting stone-courses.
Original plan uncertain, but left-hand side was a shop from at least the late c19, the right-hand end having been divided off in c20; the original arrangement was probably of 2 rooms, since there are 2 fireplaces. A small room to the left of the shop also has a fireplace of some age, and may have formed a third room originally.2 storeys with single-storeyed additions. Front 7 windows wide, the right-hand section (containing 3 of the windows) being clearly of different build. Left-hand section has a 4-panelled door with brass dolphin-shaped knocker to left late c19 gabled wood porch. To right a late c19 (certainly before 1890) projecting shop front with tiled pent roof. Second-storey windows have c19 wood casements, of 3 lights with rectangular leaded panes including much old glass. The right-hand section has a 2-light wood casement window with 8 panes per light at the left-hand end; to right are 2 late c19 doors, each with 4 panels. In the second storey the windows are 3-light wood casements with leaded panes matching those in the left-hand section. All 3 openings in the ground storey have late c16 or c17 chamfered wood lintels with bar stops, the bars having a full pyramid shape. The second storey windows have similar wood lintels, but with plain run-out stops. The right-hand gable contains a single window, this being in the ground storey to the right of the chimney. It is a wood casement of 2 lights with leaded panes, and has a chamfered wood lintel with bar-stops matching those in the front wall.
Interior: the shop has a centrally-placed upper-floor beam, chamfered and with scroll-stops having 2 notches. Over the right-hand wall, inserted in c20, is a chamfered beam with run-out stops. In the rear wall, to left, is a large fireplace with big, plain granite jamb-stones on the left side, the right side being concealed by plaster and inserted stonework; chamfered wood lintel with scroll-stops. At the back is a large oven with brick opening and brick domed roof; the base and sides, however, are of large stone blocks. To left of fireplace is a rounded stair turret with thick wood newel post; between storeys is a late c16 or c17 wood window of 2 lights with flat splay mullions. The former right-hand end of the shop (now part of spring cottage) has a wide fireplace with chamfered wood lintel having run-out stops. Backing on to it is another wide fireplace with plain wood lintel. Upper storey of spring cottage and the whole of cottage at north-west end not inspected internally. Roof of left-hand section, including the left side of spring cottage, has an old roof, difficult of access. There is certainly a late c16 or early c17 truss in the centre, having plain feet set in the wall-tops and a halved collar with shaped ends.2 other old trusses are just discernible to the north-west of it. The building seems to have been called staple cottage in 1615.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

9/194 Stable House Gallery, Spring - Cottage and Stable House - GV II
Range containing a house and shop with 2 cottages; possible a single house originally, but the cottages may have been an early addition intended as a separate dwelling or dwellings. Late C16 or C17, with late C19 or early C20 additions. Stone rubble, painted at the front, with cob from sill-level in the second storey upwards. Thatched roof. Small rendered chimneystack on left-hand gable, but on ridge off-centre to right and projecting from right-hand gable wall, 2 stone stacks with granite ashlar tops; these have weatherings and caps made up of projecting stone-courses.
Original plan uncertain, but left-hand side was a shop from at least the late C19, the right-hand end having been divided off in C20; the original arrangement was probably of 2 rooms, since there are 2 fireplaces. A small room to the left of the shop also has a fireplace of some age, and may have formed a third room originally.
2 storeys with single-storeyed additions. Front 7 windows wide, the right-hand section (containing 3 of the windows) being clearly of different build. Left-hand section has a 4-panelled door with brass dolphin-shaped knocker to left late C19 gabled wood porch. To right a late C19 (certainly before 1890) projecting shop front with tiled pent roof. Second-storey windows have C19 wood casements, of 3 lights with rectangular leaded panes including much old glass. Tile right-hand section has a 2-light wood casement window with 8 panes per light at the left-hand end; to right are 2 late C19 doors, each with 4 panels. In the second storey the windows are 3-light wood casements with leaded panes matching those in the left-hand section. All 3 openings in the ground storey have late C16 or C17 chamfered wood lintels with bar stops, the bars having a full pyramid shape. The second storey windows have similar wood lintels, but with plain run-out stops. The right-hand gable contains a single window, this being in the ground storey to the right of the chimney. It is a wood casement of 2 lights with leaded panes, and has a chamfered wood lintel with bar-stops matching those in the front wall.
Interior: the shop has a centrally-placed upper-floor beam, chamfered and with scroll-stops having 2 notches. Over the right-hand wall, inserted in C20, is a chamfered beam with run-out stops. In the rear wall, to left, is a large fireplace with big, plain granite jamb-stones on the left side, the right side being concealed by plaster and inserted stonework; chamfered wood lintel with scroll- stops. At the back is a large oven with brick opening and brick domed roof; the base and sides, however, are of large stone blocks. To left of fireplace is a rounded stair turret with thick wood newel post; between storeys is a late C16 or Cl7 wood window of 2 lights with flat splay mullions. The former right-hand end of the shop (now part of Spring Cottage) has a wide fireplace with chamfered wood lintel having run-out stops. Backing on to it is another wide fireplace with plain wood lintel. Upper storey of Spring Cottage and the whole of cottage at north-west end not inspected internally. Roof of left-hand section, including the left side of Spring Cottage, has an old roof, difficult of access. There is certainly a late C16 or early C17 truss in the centre, having plain feet set in the wall-tops and a halved collar with shaped ends. 2 other old trusses are just discernible to the north-west of it.
The building seems to have been called Staple Cottage in 1615. Source: information from Mr Jones of Stable House, based on the Wadham manorial survey in Somerset Record Office and on talks with older residents of Lustleigh.
Listing NGR: SX7848781236

Sources / Further Reading

SDV304543List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Lustleigh. Historic Houses Register. 136.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89806 ]
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV108583Related to: Dairy and cottage adjoining, Lustleigh (Building)
MDV107719Related to: Old Smithy in Lustleigh (Building)
MDV8825Related to: St John the Baptist's Church, Lustleigh (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 13 2016 10:42AM