HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV38062
Name:Wreyland, Wreyland Manor

Summary

16C house with 20C additions.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 787 812
Map Sheet:SX78SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishLustleigh
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBOVEY TRACEY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SE/54/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (XVI to Post Medieval - 1501 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1986, Lustleigh, 144 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV304543.

Wreyland Manor. House. 16C with 20C additions. Restored by Cecil Torr in early 20C (after 1912). Roughcast stone with thatched roof. 20C granite chimney stack designed in 16C manner on each gable. On ridge, off-centre to right, an old granite ashlar stack with 20C top matching the gable stacks. 3-room and through-passage plan with long lower end. 2-storeyed entrance-porch at front; rounded stair turret to rear of hall, leading out of through-passage. Added rear wing on left; added lean-to on right. 2 storeys. 6 window front; wood casements with leaded panes. Entrance porch is of exposed granite rubble with large quoins in ground storey. Chamfered granite outer doorway with approximately 2-centred head. To left of it an old carved date of 1680. Interior of porch has old stone seats at either side, but the side-walls above have 20C open timberwork. Cobbled floor with old granite kerb at front. House doorway has straight-headed chamfered wood frame with worn stops, chamfered wood lintel above with scroll-stops having 2 notches. Plank door with wrought iron strap hinges having fleurs-de-lis terminals; later applied wooden ribs. Door carries graffiti, including names and date of 1779. Upper storey of porch is timber-framed and jettied on all 3 sides; joist ends chamfered and rounded at front. In front wall a 20C wood ovolo-mullioned window of 3 lights with patterned leaded panes; wooden hood-mould above.
Interior: through-passage has plank and muntin screen to left, with some studs reset. Studs and head beam have scratch mouldings; studs chamfered with rounded step-stops having 2 notches. To right is the granite ashlar back of the hall fireplace with chamfered plinth; cornice at top may have been hacked back. Doorway to hall has chamfered wood frame, the right jamb re-set. A winding stone staircase in turret at rear; 2-light wood window with flat splay mullion, restored. Lower room largely remodelled, but has chamfered upper floor beam with scroll-stops, wood mullioned windows, restored, at rear. Hall fireplace has hollow-moulded granite jambs, chamfered wood lintel, probably a later insertion, with step-stops that do not quite fit the opening. At rear an oven with granite-framed opening and shallow granite shelf; domed stone roof and side-walls of large pieces of granite. Upper floor beams chamfered, with mutilated stops. Wall at upper end is of 20C brick, but a little in front of it is a beam chamfered only on the hall side and with a closed truss above it in the second storey; it could just be the remains of an internal jetty. Second storey has few features, except that the rooms are open to the roof over the hall and lower end. The roof at upper end, beyond the brick wall, is 20C. Trusses over hall are a primitive type of jointed cruck, with the plain foot of each principal rafter tenoned into a vertical wall post; over the lower end the foot of the principal rests on the wall-top, but has a vertical strut halved on to it. All the trusses have through purlins, some lightly trenched, some simply resting on the backs of the principals; there seems to have been no ridge piece. Collars are cambered with shaped ends halved to the principals, but all are probably restorations. The closed truss already mentioned has a tie-beam, but with no evidence of struts or framework other than wattle and daub below it. Doorway to room over porch has chamfered wood frame with scroll-stops having 2 notches.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV304543List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Lustleigh. Historic Houses Register. 144.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #89808 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV15838Part of: Bovey Tracey, Manor of Wreyland (Monument)
MDV109813Part of: Wreyland Settlement, Lustleigh (Monument)
MDV21526Related to: Middle Wreyland Cottages, Lustleigh (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 13 2015 3:27PM